follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2017, 10:20 PM   #1
enwave
That headunit though...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SSM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sold: BRZ; Bought: 2017 M240i XDrive (w/short review)

Hey all -- gonna turn this into a combo thread...

Just wanted to give a huge thanks to the whole community here at ft86club. Thanks to various individuals that I met here, I was able to have a total blast with my BRZ. This was my first practical/daily build, and I had a tun of fun with it. Went through the Phantom Electric Supercharger to the JR Supercharger and then back to NA. Did a full exhaust replacement, taillights, Openflash Tablet, springs, and tracked the hell out of the car. This platform is so special, and I bet I'll be back in a few years (this time on a well-used manual...) for my true purpose-built track queen.

In with the new:

My two-week review of the M240i XDrive: (thanks to TylerLieberman for pointing out some wording issues, fixes inline)

The car has GOBS of power. Rated at ~340hp and ~370lb/ft of torque, the new B58 version of a twin-scroll inline-six spools fast, with torque delivery starting as early as 1500(!!!) RPM. This is the exact same class of engine as the M2, tuned just a tad bit more conservatively. Clocked my 0-60 w/launch control at 4.35s, completely stock in good weather, on the stock 225 run-flats (ew). The angry sound this car makes when pushing the pedal (and the evil burbling when you back off the throttle) is incredibly satisfying, but too muted from the interior. I may end up upgrading to the M-Performance exhaust, which is what is featured on the full M2.

Throttle response is good on the M240i, but nothing to write home about compared to a tuned ft86 platform. Even while boosted, the connection between the pedal and the engine just fel better in the BRZ. I believe my experience with the BRZ was a bit biased by being tuned from nearly day one, and I hear the JB4/Dinan Elite chips for the BMWs solve this minor problem. One of those are likely to be my first part for the new car.

The chassis is firm compared to a standard 2-series, but NOTHING like the ft86 platform. Coming from the super low center of gravity of the FA20 boxer combined with the Eibach Pro-Kit springs makes the M240i feel floaty, even with the M240i's adaptive suspension tightened up in Sport mode. I have a feeling my next part after the chip will be a set of sportier springs. Going to forego full suspension, as the adaptive setup on the BMW is actually quite nice to have. The lack of a limited-slip differential (another of the subtle differences between this car and a full M2) is also a bit of a downer, but the XDrive system does a pretty good job of keeping the car planted under load.

The interior (surprisingly) doesn't feel much of an improvement over the limited BRZ package. Little luxury car touches like adjustable lumbar support etc. are nice, but because I opted against nav in favor of my phone, I have the outdated iDrive headunit system which is not super impressive. Even things like the AC system/dual zone fan controls are questionable compared to the BRZ.

Overall, I am happier with the M240i, but the test drive weekend (and ultimately buying the car) reminded me of so many of the things that make the ft86 platform so special. A good portion of my M240i ownership may be dedicated to trying to bring some of the things I loved about the BRZ.

Hope I'm back soon for another BRZ build!

Last edited by enwave; 06-18-2017 at 01:56 AM.
enwave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enwave For This Useful Post:
gymratter (06-18-2017), Mr.Impreza (06-17-2017), Scrappydoo (06-18-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 10:25 PM   #2
enwave
That headunit though...

On that note, I have some stock BRZ parts I'd be willing to give away for free, if anyone wants to pay to ship them. I have:

Stock tail lights
Stock springs
Stock catback exhaust
Stock headers

I am also looking to sell:
V1-ish Phantom ESC turbine+controller (missing throttle lever and voltmeter display/switch, and missing the battery harness. Would need to work with Rob and team to get those miscellaneous parts filled in)

Will probably cross-post these in some classifieds, but figured here would be okay too.

Last edited by enwave; 06-18-2017 at 02:19 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:57 PM   #3
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
That picture is beautiful! Really captures both cars well!

Nice review! If you don't mind me asking, why did you return back to NA after the supercharger?

Did you just do it since you knew you were going to trade it in or was there a deeper reason to that decision?

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:05 AM   #4
Dan37BRZ
Senior Citizen

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Does the new M240 really use a twin turbo setup (N54 style) or is it a single twin scroll turbo (N55 style) as before?
Dan37BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:22 AM   #5
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,577 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Congrats on the new car. The M240i is good fun. I've driven this car, along with the M2 and many others on track, even side by side with direct competitors from Audi, MB, etc. Perks of the job working for BMW.

I would like to correct a few satements though. If you have any questions about the vehicle or the tech inside or anything, feel free to ask. It's my job to basically know everything about those vehicles and the tech inside and out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enwave View Post
The car has GOBS of power. Rated at ~340hp and ~370lb/ft of torque, the new B58 version of a twin-turbo inline-six spools fast, with torque delivery starting as early as 1500(!!!) RPM. This is the exact same engine as the M2, but tuned just a tad bit more conservatively.
It's actually different. The B58 engine is different from the N55 that was used in the M235i and is still used in the M2. Further more, the M2 utilizes engine internals pulled directly from the S55 engine in the M3/M4. So the two engines are actually extremely different.

On the bright side, the B58 makes more torque than the N55 in the M2. BMW also typically underrates their vehicles. So, the M240i is rated at 335hp, and if the car were to see a dyno, it'd likely put close to that much down at the wheels. Meaning a tune and some exhaust/intake work will put the car at nearly 400bhp.

Quote:
Clocked my 0-60 w/launch control at 4.35s, completely stock in good weather, on the stock 225 run-flats (ew). The angry sound this car makes when pushing the pedal (and the evil burbling when you back off the throttle) is incredibly satisfied, but too muted from the interior. I may end up upgrading to the M-Performance exhaust, which is what is featured on the full M2.
The car should have come with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which are not run flats (unless you opted for the all-seasons). Also, rear tire width is 245.

Quote:
Throttle response is good on the M240i, but nothing to write home about compared to a tuned ft86 platform. Even while boosted, the connection between the pedal and the engine just fel better in the BRZ. I believe my experience with the BRZ was a bit biased by being tuned from nearly day one, and I hear the JB4/Dinan Elite chips for the BMWs solve this minor problem. One of those are likely to be my first part for the new car.
Agreed. Turbo will never feel like N/A though.

Quote:
The chassis is firm compared to a standard 2-series, but NOTHING like the ft86 platform. Coming from the super low center of gravity of the FA20 boxer combined with the Eibach Pro-Kit springs makes the M240i feel floaty, even with the M240i's adaptive suspension tightened up in Sport mode. I have a feeling my next part after the chip will be a set of sportier springs.
Yes, ride quality is way better than the FRS/BRZ. Nice on the street, but plenty capable on track.

Quote:
Going to forego full suspension, as the adaptive setup on the BMW is actually quite nice to have. The lack of a limited-slip differential (another of the subtle differences between this car and a full M2) is also a bit of a downer, but the XDrive system does a pretty good job of keeping the car planted under load.
The nice thing about the xDrive system is that it can actively shift torque distribution front/rear and left/right. So, while the car doesn't actually have a LSD equipped on the rear, it can give a bit of a vectoring effect when provoked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan37BRZ View Post
Does the new M240 really use a twin turbo setup (N54 style) or is it a single twin scroll turbo (N55 style) as before?
No. The M240i uses the new B58 engine. The M235i (which the 240i replaces) utilized the same N55 engine the M2 uses.

Both of which use one twin-scroll turbocharger.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
enwave (06-18-2017), gymratter (06-22-2017), strat61caster (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 01:47 AM   #6
enwave
That headunit though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Congrats on the new car. The M240i is good fun. I've driven this car, along with the M2 and many others on track, even side by side with direct competitors from Audi, MB, etc. Perks of the job working for BMW.

I would like to correct a few satements though. If you have any questions about the vehicle or the tech inside or anything, feel free to ask. It's my job to basically know everything about those vehicles and the tech inside and out.
Thanks! Will do.

Quote:
It's actually different. The B58 engine is different from the N55 that was used in the M235i and is still used in the M2. Further more, the M2 utilizes engine internals pulled directly from the S55 engine in the M3/M4. So the two engines are actually extremely different.

On the bright side, the B58 makes more torque than the N55 in the M2. BMW also typically underrates their vehicles. So, the M240i is rated at 335hp, and if the car were to see a dyno, it'd likely put close to that much down at the wheels. Meaning a tune and some exhaust/intake work will put the car at nearly 400bhp.
Correct -- I worded this extremely poorly. By same, I meant same general output/same class, as opposed to other N20/B38s found on other 2-series. Until recently there was a lot of suspicion that the B58 or a variant of it would find it's way into the next M2... but I think they already had a lot invested in the S55 and stuck with that general design for now from what I understand. Pretty poor wording on my part ha.

Quote:
The car should have come with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which are not run flats (unless you opted for the all-seasons). Also, rear tire width is 245.
The XDrive models (especially with the Cold Weather Package off a lot in Utah like mine) very frequently come with the run-flats (at least at the two dealerships in my area). They also often run the run-flats square, though I will be running a summer/winter setup and will go staggered (225/245) in the summer and square in the winter, most likely. If I had ordered or done Euro Delivery, I would have just gotten the MPSS right off the bat. This was basically a "remaining inventory on the lot" end-of-model-year pricing (as good as you can get for BMW, which isn't always that great especially for something like the M240i).

Quote:
Agreed. Turbo will never feel like N/A though.
Nope, but the twin-scroll does help quite a bit. I don't so much care about immediate power-delivery like a good NA car, but more that I can tell that the engine is at least trying. The M240i seems to leave a lot of dead room on the pedal (even in Sport) likely so it still fills the luxury car vibe. I didn't see the same issue in the M2 when I test drove it. So maybe pedal response is the term I'm looking for over throttle response?

Quote:
The nice thing about the xDrive system is that it can actively shift torque distribution front/rear and left/right. So, while the car doesn't actually have a LSD equipped on the rear, it can give a bit of a vectoring effect when provoked.
Even more rear bias or the option to choose on-demand (which the dealer told me is showing up on the full M platform in the next year or two) would be nice, but I'm still very happy with it. XDrive was a compromise both due to available inventory and a wife who wanted me to be as safe as possible in the winter. The XDrive+winter tires combo should do well when the snow hits, even if snow tires alone on a RWD would have been plenty good enough. I am surprised by how much I like the XDrive system, though.

Quote:
No. The M240i uses the new B58 engine. The M235i (which the 240i replaces) utilized the same N55 engine the M2 uses.

Both of which use one twin-scroll turbocharger.
Correct, twin-scroll turbo, not twin or biturbo. Big miss on terminology for me there

Last edited by enwave; 06-18-2017 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:50 AM   #7
enwave
That headunit though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan37BRZ View Post
The B58 is still a single twin-scroll. I'm so used to using bi-turbo to describe true twin-turbo BMW/MB that I just used the wrong term. And yes, I know that biturbo is technically still different than twin (biturbo usually implies same size). I've never been good at using the right words...

Last edited by enwave; 06-18-2017 at 02:26 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:02 AM   #8
enwave
That headunit though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
That picture is beautiful! Really captures both cars well!

Nice review! If you don't mind me asking, why did you return back to NA after the supercharger?

Did you just do it since you knew you were going to trade it in or was there a deeper reason to that decision?
I had some indecision about boost. The Phantom ESC was an experiment for me, because I am an engineer and the idea of a progressive technology like that sounded like a lot of fun. I was surprised and impressed, but I started itching for more power. I went to Jackson Racing SC, which was also tons of fun. That was about the time I started going to the track regularly.

After some track sessions under my belt on the JRSC, I let a friend who also owns a BRZ take it for a lap. He loved the JRSC, and I actually ended up selling it to him. I have a lot to learn as a track driver, and I was totally content learning on a slower NA engine -- plus giving him the bro deal made him super happy.

Ultimately, my car was still an automatic (at the time I was newlywed and freshly employed out of college, so it was our only car and my wife has a hard enough time with just about any car) and so I knew this wasn't going to be a long-term car for me. Didn't feel the need to keep it boosted, especially when I knew I was going to be shopping around for a replacement in a year or two.
The Following User Says Thank You to enwave For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #9
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Congrats! How much hp do those cars make with a tune (JB4/Dinan)? Planning to continue with track days?

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #10
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Is the BMW automatic?
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #11
enwave
That headunit though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Congrats! How much hp do those cars make with a tune (JB4/Dinan)? Planning to continue with track days?
The Dinan Elite measured 415hp and 480lb/ft of torque on an otherwise stock car. The JB4 tunes a bit more aggressively than that and measures at about 425/495, with the BMS intake pushing it even higher to about 430/500! (Note that BMW reports themselves pretty low stock, usually).

Yep, still plan on continuing track days! Gonna have to change my driving. Style a little though...
Old 06-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #12
TylerLieberman

Quote:
The B58 is still a single twin-scroll. I'm so used to using bi-turbo to describe true twin-turbo BMW/MB that I just used the wrong term. And yes, I know that biturbo is technically still different than twin (biturbo usually implies same size). I've never been good at using the right words...
Correct. Alpina still uses the term "Bi-turbo" for their vehicles that they sell, but their cars are actually twin turbo.

BMW uses the term "Twin-power" which refers to the twin-scroll technology the vehicles use. Typically just 1 turbo though. M3/M4 are the exception. They use 2 single-scroll turbos.

I totally forgot about the xDrive when thinking about the tire choice. Makes sense, especially considering that you're a bit further north.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #13
TylerLieberman

Here's a video from when I drove the M2 along side the TTS and CLA45AMG. A friend was filming while I was driving the M2 on the small autox type course. This was like March 2016

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyb0NU5pH_8"]BMW M2 Testing - YouTube[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
enwave (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #14
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
The Dinan Elite measured 415hp and 480lb/ft of torque on an otherwise stock car. The JB4 tunes a bit more aggressively than that and measures at about 425/495, with the BMS intake pushing it even higher to about 430/500! (Note that BMW reports themselves pretty low stock, usually).

Yep, still plan on continuing track days! Gonna have to change my driving. Style a little though...
Wow those are some healthy numbers - sounds like it'll be a fun ride. Post a link if you do a build page

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is online now   Reply With Quote