follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2019, 08:55 PM   #1
rennlistuser3

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2018 Mustang GT Vs my 2017 BRZ PP

Before I got my BRZ in 2017, the Mustang GT was short-listed as well but I dismissed it back then even without a test drive. Back then, I thought to myself it's either the GT350 or forget about it.

The nagging etch was still there so I decided what the heck I'll just go give it a test-drive.

Please bare in mind, these are MY thoughts on the Mustang GT. You might agree with me and you might not. Just sharing for the benefit of whoever wants to read.

Executive Summary : very decent handling, numb steering, magnificent engine sound-track, surprisingly similar to FT86 in many ways, extra power did not impress, not as nimble as FT86,will not replace FT86.

So first, why would I be looking at the Mustang GT. My main shortcomings on the FT86 is power (or rather people always nagging about it all the time on reviews and whatnot) and engine sound.

First, the sound, the GT absolutely did not disappoint. Those are Diva vocals for cheap. It's a musical instrument that just wants you to play. The sound alone can justify the purchase no argument there. This is what I wish the FT86 even remotely sounded as good.

The interior dimensions were surprisingly similar to the FT86. Even the trunk space looked so familiar. The rear seats actually even lacked headroom next to the FT86! The seats are high though and you do not get that sports car feel as much as you do in the FT86 which is a big negative for me. The low slung feeling of the FT86 gives you confidence. The visibility outside is similar but the hood feels like it never ends. Like there's a piano in front of you.

The breaks were another surprise to me. I did not check to see if this Mustang GT had the Brembo package but I was noticing how they felt almost identical to the ones in the BRZ. I later checked and yup, both had the Brembos. I guess, I have new found respect for Brembo now.

The steering felt numb for me which is among the bigger negatives but more feelsome than a lot of front wheel drive performance vehicles (cough Focus ST). The handling was surprisingly really good. I obviously didn't get the chance to really push it hard but I was surprised for the lack body roll for something this heavy (and yes you can feel that you're driving a heavy car Vs. the FT86)

Now where I was really disappointed and I am surprised to have been disappointed, the Power! I am very sure this car is very very fast. All metrics prove this. But from the seat of the pants, this car is heavier and more insulated and going fast is one thing while feeling the speed is another as I've come to learn even more so this weekend when I participated in open wheel racing for the first time in my life. The sensation of speed was muted compared to the FT86 and this made a big difference for me personally. I would rather "feel" like I'm going fast when I am actually going slow rather than the other way around. I don't have an ego issue where I want to beat people in road-races or anything like that. And even in actual racing, I would still rather be driving an FT86. The throttle response is decent but nothing super impressive either. I'm sure the power difference is more felt at say 70 mph onwards but I won't be doing that much on public roads.

Overall, the Mustang GT gets a very big win in the sound department but actually looses in the power department for me personally just due to feel. Then there's the nimbleness of the FT86 and the steering that's more precise and talkative. Add to this, the fuel consumption that does matter to me for my lead foot tendencies and I'd hands down keep the FT86. I honestly do not want to come across as a fanboy. I don't have loyalties to a machine. All I care about is my personal utility of it. Make no mistake, if I liked the Mustang GT more I'd be right here saying it. But in all honesty, I personally did not.

Alright, you can fire away at me now . Just be warned, I've noticed some forum members being unnecessarily on the hostile side here and I will ignore. If you have personal issues in your life, or feel the need to dominate others, whatever that's bugging you, I don't believe such forums are the place to resolve these issues of yours. I see such forums as a place for me to come and be stupid and learn a thing or two from others more knowledgeable without the need to be put down or me putting someone else down. Rant out.

Last edited by rennlistuser3; 07-14-2019 at 09:12 PM.
rennlistuser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rennlistuser3 For This Useful Post:
7 skulls (07-15-2019), DAEMANO (07-15-2019), Feistyfrog (08-02-2019), Go Frogs (08-15-2019), ROFL it's Waffle (01-31-2020)
Old 07-14-2019, 10:38 PM   #2
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I test drove a Mustang before getting the FRS, and I had a 550i. I was totally underwhelmed by the Mustang. I mean, faster than an FRS, but just not that fast. Honestly, the Mustang is an overpriced pig. For a decked out Mustang's price, you can get a Stingray. NO COMPARISON.

Plus the Mustang is the same size as a 5-series without all the usefulness of 4 doors. Mustang drivers are crackheads.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Will BRZ (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 12:24 AM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Good review.

But, what brought on the rant -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:35 AM   #4
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
totally disagree on sensation of speed with you there. those cars push you back in your seat something fierce and they dont.stop.pulling. if that's not sensation of speed i dont know what is. yeah the twins are fun, rough, and not numb/muted experience but they lack the open top experience that make something like a miata feel fast even though you're going slow
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:00 AM   #5
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Had a similar experience a couple of years ago when I test drove a 2011 Mustang GT PP with the Coyote 5.0L V8. I think that generation was rated at 412 hp, but agree the sensation of speed is dulled a bit, maybe due to the longish gearing.

To me though, the bigger let-down was how big and heavy the car felt even with the PP. The high seating position didn't help, nor did the notchy/heavy shifter. It felt so much like driving a big sedan, I almost expected to turn around and see two extra doors in the back.

For me, that just reinforced that I'm a fan of small lightweight sports cars. Some people say the latest-gen Camaro SS 1LE shrinks around you at speed and handles like a sports car. Whenever it's time to trade in the FR-S, I'll definitely give that one a try. If that doesn't cut it, maybe a C5/C6 Z06. And if not that, then probably back to a 987.2 Cayman/Boxster S. Probably the most ideal balance of size/weight/power I've tried yet.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
rennlistuser3 (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 02:38 AM   #6
Bluefire98

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Imo the mustang is kind of the opposite of the 86. Great engine with an ok chassis vs an ok engine with a great chassis. Sorry but other than maybe outright grip a mustang just doesn't feel controllable or balanced compared to an 86. Now that coyote v8, man is that an engine. I love rev happy motors and a dohc v8 with vvt that revs to 7500 is just awesome and right up my alley. That engine in an frs would be unbelievably fun assuming the overall weight distribution isn't affect too severely.

I haven't driven an ss but the v6 camaro handles really freaking well. It definitely "shrinks" in a corner. Can't see out of it though lol. I want to drive an ss but none of them come through my rental company's fleet.
Bluefire98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluefire98 For This Useful Post:
rennlistuser3 (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 02:58 AM   #7
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I think, when it comes to V8s, a pushrod setup is better. If you're going to go for a high rpm screamer with OHCs, you want a flat plane crank. Otherwise you should go twin turbo and ~4L displacement like the 550i or AMG 63s. The GT engine is in a no-man's land of design. Not that fast. Not that tractable. Not that anything unless you throw a supercharger on it. My favorite Mustang is the old 5.0 GT a la Vanilla Ice.

Also, in the canyon here, Mustangs are pretty much always cruising. They're rarely driven fast. So... Why bother then?
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:33 AM   #8
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I've been in a GT with a exhaust and tune, it went as good as it sounded, and it sounded great.

Not bad for a little 5.0.

Good coilovers go along way in fixing the handling.

From my experience with them, a tune, exhaust and some coils, which basically everyone does anyway, $5k turns the GT into a weapon.

A fat weapon, but still a weapon.

Pity they cost around $70k new here, the minister of war and finances said no when I asked last year.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:54 AM   #9
Tangizdope

Drives: 2016 FRS
I've always wanted a matte black one. Theres one in my neighborhood that is murdered out and super loud. Makes me drool.
I think I'm a little bored of the okay power of our cars. I want to feel that push in my seat.
I'm also tired of getting tired of getting cut off all the time. When a 328i (not a real BMW imo) cuts me off, I sometimes get mad and want to get them back but I can't get ahead of them when they're flooring it too and it makes me even angrier. Nobody would cut off an aggressive looking mustang in the first place so that would make me feel a lot calmer while driving. I commute a lot and I'm seriously getting tired of people cutting me off all the time.
I'm probably gonna get tired of the mustang too but it's a phase I wanna go through lol. I commute too much now that I'm willing to compromise steering a bit for speed.
Tangizdope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:12 AM   #10
7 skulls

Drives: 2014 scion frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Good review. I saw a new green Mustang GT last week. Maybe it was the color but the body lines and overall shape really made me stop and stare. Thought it was a bullet from a distance. Their retro/nostalgia styling is much better than that of GM and Dodge.
7 skulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:19 AM   #11
WC-BRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangizdope View Post
I've always wanted a matte black one. Theres one in my neighborhood that is murdered out and super loud. Makes me drool.
I think I'm a little bored of the okay power of our cars. I want to feel that push in my seat.
I'm also tired of getting tired of getting cut off all the time. When a 328i (not a real BMW imo) cuts me off, I sometimes get mad and want to get them back but I can't get ahead of them when they're flooring it too and it makes me even angrier. Nobody would cut off an aggressive looking mustang in the first place so that would make me feel a lot calmer while driving. I commute a lot and I'm seriously getting tired of people cutting me off all the time.
I'm probably gonna get tired of the mustang too but it's a phase I wanna go through lol. I commute too much now that I'm willing to compromise steering a bit for speed.
Good lord, are you 17 years old or something?
WC-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WC-BRZ For This Useful Post:
Hoahao (07-17-2019), mkodama (07-15-2019), NCtoBRZ (07-16-2019), Shizuka (08-13-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 07:05 AM   #12
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangizdope View Post
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #13
Tangizdope

Drives: 2016 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC-BRZ View Post
Good lord, are you 17 years old or something?
Not 17 but young still. I'd like to explore with all types of cars before getting old. Dont see what's wrong with that.
I've always wondered how old people are on this forum. Seems at least 50+ which is odd because in real life I only see young people drive our cars. I've never really gotten along with people here. Must be the age difference
Tangizdope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #14
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Good review.

But, what brought on the rant -

humfrz
If you disagree with him at all then you are an evil sad person that is obviously angry.
Claims to want to learn and then argues each and every point put forward. His little passive aggressive reversal here is a great example.
Just smile and nod.

Was a good review of the Mustang until he got all aggressive in his defensiveness.

humfrz (07-15-2019), Vic4uf (08-17-2019)