follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #365
AudiTT

Drives: 2010 Audi TT S-line
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
you would be surprised how many parts all VW brands actually share. Also Porsche and VW share parts since decades, even as they were individual companies.
I know that, I drive one myself

But Porsche's engines you can't find in any other Vag, for example. The other way round, yes, Porsche is using Audi's 3,0 tdi in Panamera & Cayenne. 911 and Boxster/ Cayman are build to their own platforms, developed by Porsche and not shared with any other brand. Smaller parts, like switches etc., are obviously shared.

I would like to see it stay that way in the future also. To me there's something special in Porsche compared to many other brands.
AudiTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #366
Buggy51

Drives: Put Put
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDAD View Post
they were way off on the 1M coupe saying 43-44, and it ended up 5 ish higher list.
Well, lets hope that's a trend!
Buggy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #367
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
BTW, that auto trans set up is exactly like the 370Z (minus one gear). It works very well, and it's good to hear that they liked it's performance on the test drive.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:50 AM   #368
Tyandriel

Drives: Supra MkIII
@AudiTT:
jup, you´re right. At least for the 911 and Boxter with the flat six. The other models share much and more with Audi and VW, not only a switch here and an engine there.
In the Cayenne not one engine is from Porsche. And in the Panamera, too, afaik.
And the Cayenne´s chassis is shared, also the drivetrain.
I just wanted to correct your first statement Not whole Porsche is that special as many of us wishes it to be (me included).

The only "special" brands in the VAG (that doesn´t exist anymore, btw., it´s only VW Group now) are Bentley and Bugatti.
Tyandriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:55 PM   #369
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Carl View Post
I PERSONALLY WILL GO FOR THE BETTER RESALE VALUE AND PROVEN BADGE RELIABILITY (TOYOTA!!!!)
You really ought to go for a keyboard where CapsLock isn't broken and always on before you think about buying a car. Badge reliability is great though. Wouldn't want to have to replace the badge if it breaks down.

And wait, did you say ultimate sports car in the title of your post? Cause this will be a good car, but the ultimate sports car? Not by a long shot.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #370
AudiTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyandriel View Post
@AudiTT:
jup, you´re right. At least for the 911 and Boxter with the flat six. The other models share much and more with Audi and VW, not only a switch here and an engine there.
In the Cayenne not one engine is from Porsche. And in the Panamera, too, afaik.
And the Cayenne´s chassis is shared, also the drivetrain.
Hmm, ok. Who's the original developer of Cayenne's gasoline engines if those are not from Porsche? I mean 3,6 l (300hp) in Cayenne and 4,8 l (400hp) in Cayenne S.... Those same engines are in Panamera & Panamera S too, if my memory serves....

Yes, Cayenne's chassi is shared with VW (Touareg), that's true. And also Audi Q7?? But that one was co-developed from the start, not developed by Porsche.

Apologies for offtopic.

Last edited by AudiTT; 10-31-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #371
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiTT View Post
I hope that will never happen. Porsche is in it's own class, at least compared to all the other VAG's. Hopefully they don't have to share any big parts (chassi, engine, transmission) with anybody else within VAG. Oh well, maybe Lamborghini could borrow something..
I'd just like to say I for one am extremely happy someone else out there refers to Volkswagen (AG) as VAG

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #372
Dragonitti
Banned

Drives: Boosted Scion tC, 350z
Why is it, every time you read an article pertaining to the Subaru version, it keeps having this negative spin on it when talking about Toyota's part in the joint effort? They bitter about something? Downplaying Toyota's part kinda puts a sour taste for me when I think of Subaru now.

Last edited by Dragonitti; 11-01-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Dragonitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #373
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Why is it, every time you read an article pertaining to the Subaru version, it keeps having this negative spin on it when talking about Toyota's part in the joint effort? They bitter about something? Downplaying Toyota's part kinda puts a sour taste for me when I think of Subaru now.
My best guess is that Subaru did more of the work and Toyota takes the credit for it. I have no doubts that both parties contributed to the project, but it's like high school where you had to do a group project, did most of the work yourself, and then the slackers are told how great they did when they do the presentation.

Or they could just be mad that everyone thinks FRS/FT86, and nobody thinks BRZ, when they think about this car.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #374
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Ask the people who wrote it: Car and Driver, not Subaru.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #375
Solrac

Drives: Legacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiTT View Post
I hope that will never happen. Porsche is in it's own class, at least compared to all the other VAG's. Hopefully they don't have to share any big parts (chassi, engine, transmission) with anybody else within VAG. Oh well, maybe Lamborghini could borrow something..
Porsche already uses audi engines on their suvs and sedan
Solrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #376
Solrac

Drives: Legacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Carl View Post
WHETHER YOU THINK SUBARU CONTRIBUTED MORE TO THE MAKING OF THE CAR OR TOYOTA DID, AT THE END OF THE DAY YOU HAVE ONE THE BEST REASONABLY PRICED CARS AND THATS ALL THAT MATTERS.

THE BADGE ALSO IS IMPORTANT AND I WOULD GET THE TOYOTA VERSION JUST BECAUSE I LIKE TOYOTA AND HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR TOYOTA TO RELEASE A CAR LIKE THIS.

THEY ARE BOTH PRACTICALLY GOING TO BE THE SAME CARS SO WHICHEVER THE USER PREFERS THE USER GETS: I PERSONALLY WILL GO FOR THE BETTER RESALE VALUE AND PROVEN BADGE RELIABILITY (TOYOTA!!!!)
I think subaru's resale value and reliability is just as good if not better than toyota.
Solrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #377
AudiTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solrac View Post
Porsche already uses audi engines on their suvs and sedan
If you would read the whole thread, or at least last page, you'd find out that i know that very well.

I don't know, maybe i didn't write it clearly enough. I hope Porsche will not share any of their parts, at least chassis, engines etc., with others. Everything that Porsche has developed should stay within Porsche. That's part of what makes the brand special.

If they borrow something from Audi now and then, ok. And i continue to wonder who has developed engines to Panamera & Cayenne if not Porsche themselves with the exception of 3,0 diesel which is borrowed from Audi?
Old 11-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #378
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solrac View Post
I think subaru's resale value and reliability is just as good if not better than toyota.
This.

Toyota's failures the last few years make Toyota less appealing to the general public. Subaru hasn't had that problem.

But both brands are reliable and both cars will basically be the same so it doesn't matter.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz review, brz reviews, scion fr-s review, scion fr-s reviews, scion frs review, scion frs reviews, subaru brz review, subaru brz reviews, toyota ft-86 review, toyota ft-86 reviews