follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #197
NemesisPrime909

Drives: 91 Toyota Supra 16 Nissan Versa
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post

this is why you don't build by committee in these situations.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #198
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I saw another source that said he was quoted saying he already sees the Juke as a competitor to the twins. No really, I'm serious.

You know, the Nismo RS Juke is kinda neat.. torque vectoring, awd... But CTV ONLY!? Y U NO MANUAL?!
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #199
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Nissan Still Undecided on Fate of IDx, Cube

Quote:
The fate of a new small Nissan sports car and the next-generation Cube are still undecided.

Nissan is having a tough time making a business case for the IDx and the Cube according to Pierre Loing, vice-president of product planning for Nissan Americas.

Based on the recently revealed pair of concept cars, the IDx would be a small rear-wheel drive sports car that would compete with the sub-$30,000 Scion FR-S. “It’s not easy to do, (and) if you do something like this and you manage to do a vehicle at (a low) price, what else would you do on this platform? Because frankly to do a platform for 50,000 or 60,000 (units) a year – it’s not worth it,” Loing told Ward’s Auto.

The car hasn’t been canned yet though, with Loing saying that its fate will have to be discussed further, though it won’t here until after 2016 if it does come to fruition.

A business case for the Nissan Cube small hatchback has also been hard to find for the company. The Cube was left absent from a recent unveiling of Nissan’s 2015 model year lineup, although the company has confirmed a brand-new Cube model will be unveiled for Japan in 2016.

The Cube never performed all that great on the market, and sales seriously dropped off in 2013, so whether or not that new model will return to the US remains to to be seen. “We have a model-year ’14 (in the U.S.); there will be an announcement on ’15 to come,” said Loing.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...etermined.html
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #200
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@NemesisPrime909 If I had to choose between the Toyobaru and the IDx on looks alone the IDx wins imo, way more interesting, but I like the post '05 retro muscle car thing and a lot of people (especially fans of the Toyobaru who want nothing to do with current muscle/pony).

If this thing came out with equivalent performance and fun factor to the Toyobaru the only thing that stops me jumping to trade my car in would be the financial stupidity.

@f0rge I think they might be better off building a chassis to underpin this car, the Z and whatever small Infiniti they want to be of similar architecture. Most agree that the Z is bloated for what it is, a baseline designed to be lighter could return it to it's roots and place it as a contender to the Mustang GT while leaving the IDx to fight the Toyobaru, Mustang V6/I4 and Miata. But that's a huge step in pleasing the enthusiast and not many other people (cough cough gtr cough). I doubt we'd see a budget RWD family of cars with retro styling, despite all the talk of a Toyobaru sedan/convertible/hatch if someone in marketing thought it'd be profitable it'd already be available.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #201
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

I can't say I'm too surprised. Lets recall who's in charge.

The Following User Says Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
Sideways&Smiling (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #202
AKBrrrrrrrrZ

Drives: 02 Celica GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Too bad. Was really looking to see this move forward.
AKBrrrrrrrrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:22 PM   #203
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Nissan are fools for not releasing an S16 concept instead of this thing. Drifting is more popular now than it ever has been. The GT86/FRS/BRZ was, arguably, made specifically to be an affordable drift car and is extremely popular. For being pretty old cars, s-chassis cars are still seen frequently competing all over the world in drifting and time attack.

Instead, they come up with this gimmicky "IDx" concept about customization meant to appeal to young, non-car-enthusiasts, which makes no fucking sense in the first place. You want to appeal to young people and then you give them a questionable looking tall, fat, blocky version of a retro design? Worse, you have the balls to build this concept on an S15 chassis and then say it may be an automatic CVT only?! It seems like they don't really know what they want the car to be or who it will appeal to, so they toss a bunch of awkward ideas together instead of building something with a focused design and goal.

With all that said, even with the design and marketing they decided on, this could still be a fun car. It's possible that this thing could come out, be around 2700 pounds, have a kickass suspension design with double wishbones all around, super precise steering and handling, maybe even a factory turbo.... but I'm not holding my breath. Nissan has fucked up so many things so many times... It's hard to have faith. By the time this thing comes out, I could probably pick up a used FRS for $10-$15k... I can't see it being special enough to warrant spending $10k more than that, but we shall see...
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sideways&Smiling For This Useful Post:
f0rge (07-15-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 10:43 PM   #204
NemesisPrime909

Drives: 91 Toyota Supra 16 Nissan Versa
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
@NemesisPrime909 If I had to choose between the Toyobaru and the IDx on looks alone the IDx wins imo, way more interesting, but I like the post '05 retro muscle car thing and a lot of people (especially fans of the Toyobaru who want nothing to do with current muscle/pony).

If this thing came out with equivalent performance and fun factor to the Toyobaru the only thing that stops me jumping to trade my car in would be the financial stupidity.

@f0rge I think they might be better off building a chassis to underpin this car, the Z and whatever small Infiniti they want to be of similar architecture. Most agree that the Z is bloated for what it is, a baseline designed to be lighter could return it to it's roots and place it as a contender to the Mustang GT while leaving the IDx to fight the Toyobaru, Mustang V6/I4 and Miata. But that's a huge step in pleasing the enthusiast and not many other people (cough cough gtr cough). I doubt we'd see a budget RWD family of cars with retro styling, despite all the talk of a Toyobaru sedan/convertible/hatch if someone in marketing thought it'd be profitable it'd already be available.
oh don't get me wrong, i liked the idx design. i still do. but some of their designs where just backwards.

it's like they were trying to build a hipster-mobile instead of a car for enthusiasts.
strat61caster (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 11:37 PM   #205
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
It seems like they don't really know what they want the car to be or who it will appeal to, so they toss a bunch of awkward ideas together instead of building something with a focused design and goal.

With all that said, even with the design and marketing they decided on, this could still be a fun car. It's possible that this thing could come out, be around 2700 pounds, have a kickass suspension design with double wishbones all around, super precise steering and handling, maybe even a factory turbo.... but I'm not holding my breath. Nissan has fucked up so many things so many times... It's hard to have faith.
I think this is the perfect summation of any enthusiasts thoughts on the idx, whether they like it or not.

Looks and marketing are polarizing, could be good fun if they actually do it right but it's Nissan.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:42 AM   #206
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
Nissan are fools for not releasing an S16 concept instead of this thing. Drifting is more popular now than it ever has been. The GT86/FRS/BRZ was, arguably, made specifically to be an affordable drift car and is extremely popular. For being pretty old cars, s-chassis cars are still seen frequently competing all over the world in drifting and time attack.

Instead, they come up with this gimmicky "IDx" concept about customization meant to appeal to young, non-car-enthusiasts, which makes no fucking sense in the first place. You want to appeal to young people and then you give them a questionable looking tall, fat, blocky version of a retro design? Worse, you have the balls to build this concept on an S15 chassis and then say it may be an automatic CVT only?! It seems like they don't really know what they want the car to be or who it will appeal to, so they toss a bunch of awkward ideas together instead of building something with a focused design and goal.

With all that said, even with the design and marketing they decided on, this could still be a fun car. It's possible that this thing could come out, be around 2700 pounds, have a kickass suspension design with double wishbones all around, super precise steering and handling, maybe even a factory turbo.... but I'm not holding my breath. Nissan has fucked up so many things so many times... It's hard to have faith. By the time this thing comes out, I could probably pick up a used FRS for $10-$15k... I can't see it being special enough to warrant spending $10k more than that, but we shall see...
Nissan already has a rwd coupe in the 370z. Any worthwhile s16 would be way too close in price.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #207
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Nissan should have just built the Foria concept and slap on the SX/Silvia nameplate.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #208
FRS_FIEND
Whats next?

Drives: '13 Asphalt FRS MT
Garage
I hope they don't make it. Its ugly AF to me. I Love lots of Nissans. Including the Datsun 510 this is suppose to resemble, and I have to say this car looks like a disgrace to Nissans...

Instagram: @angelb_af
FRS_FIEND is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRS_FIEND For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (07-20-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #209
airjonny

Drives: Nissan Murano
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
So a reliable, affordable sports car that will drum up lots of demand isn't worth building?

But building a asymmetrical shoe box with a rug dash was worth building?

Building the ugliest electric car on the market and letting it collect dust on the dealer lots is worth building?

Giving 4 years to an overpriced crossover convertible was worth building?

As much crap as I give the twins for its shortcomings, I'm glad they had the sack to actually building the thing.
airjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to airjonny For This Useful Post:
Atropine (07-19-2014), hmong337 (07-17-2014), Laika (07-18-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 08:59 AM   #210
Jah1mon

Drives: s13 240sx
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjonny View Post
So a reliable, affordable sports car that will drum up lots of demand isn't worth building?

But building a asymmetrical shoe box with a rug dash was worth building?

Building the ugliest electric car on the market and letting it collect dust on the dealer lots is worth building?

Giving 4 years to an overpriced crossover convertible was worth building?

As much crap as I give the twins for its shortcomings, I'm glad they had the sack to actually building the thing.
Preaching to the choir.

But it should come to no surprise that most automakers are attempting to answer the demand for inexpensive high volume cars. Small sports coupes are a niche, finicky market.
Jah1mon is offline   Reply With Quote