follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-24-2017, 03:02 AM   #15
KayC

Drives: 2013 whiteout FRS 6mt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How you liking it OP after couple of months?
KayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #16
drz400dude

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayC View Post
How you liking it OP after couple of months?
Still liking it. Just need the rest of the audio system to make it better.

The only problem is now when using bluetooth, the audio blips every couple of seconds. Super annoying. I talked to Joying and they said they will have a firmware update soon to fix it. For now I'm just using music from my external hard drive I have stashed in the glove box, or use my phone as a hotspot and stream spotify.
drz400dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:02 PM   #17
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Where did you get that dash panel? That looks nice.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #18
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Where did you get that dash panel? That looks nice.
OEM 2012-2014
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:04 PM   #19
KayC

Drives: 2013 whiteout FRS 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz400dude View Post
Still liking it. Just need the rest of the audio system to make it better.

The only problem is now when using bluetooth, the audio blips every couple of seconds. Super annoying. I talked to Joying and they said they will have a firmware update soon to fix it. For now I'm just using music from my external hard drive I have stashed in the glove box, or use my phone as a hotspot and stream spotify.
cool. did you have to buy any additional harness for Radio etc? I know I would want to retain the oem usb port, but other than that, not sure if I need any additional harness, etc other than the head unit itself.

I see they have a new Octacore version.

https://www.carjoying.com/octa-core-...on-system.html
KayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #20
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayC View Post
cool. did you have to buy any additional harness for Radio etc? I know I would want to retain the oem usb port, but other than that, not sure if I need any additional harness, etc other than the head unit itself.

I see they have a new Octacore version.

https://www.carjoying.com/octa-core-...on-system.html
Should be pretty plug-and-play for you. Newer cars require fuckery with the camera power supply as I've detailed in the past.

I'd probably spring for an octa-core. My 2GB Joying is slower than dog shit and has issues multitasking the three basics, Torque, Spotify, and Google Maps for me. It hangs on bootup for 10 seconds up to 3 minutes, too. I've even tried different ROMs (operating systems) but even if it works fine for the first week, it'll just go back to its old ways eventually.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:49 PM   #21
gahooligan

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Can you make these display the normal android app icons? Not into their pastel and cartoony looking icons. How is the display quality? I have been trying to use a gen 1 nexus 7 tablet but the over the radio mount doesn't work so well on the 17 BRZs. Looking at this 8" octa-core so I don't have to worry about the dash hole either. Is this the 8" universal or the 8" Toyota version? Thanksfor the answers and thanks for posting about your install!

Matt in GA
gahooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:07 AM   #22
Anagonda

Drives: Hachiroku -17
Installed today 8" joying.
It is better than I was expecting from cheap chinese. I have now used ot max 10 minutes, so maybe feelings will change.

The screen seems to be good enough quality. Clear in sunlight also.

It seems to run some android launcher so probably easy to change how it looks(icons etc)

The steering wheel remote does not work on - 17. Have to look deeper, probably one connector with 3 cables. It didn't fit cars connector. HU had 20 pins and car 3 or over 20 if you took some adapter of.
Oh, and none of antenna connectors did fit. Have to look for some adapter to listen to radio.

Overall I'm impressed, considering the price.
Anagonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:59 PM   #23
Anagonda

Today had the first drive with car after new HU install.

So in the end the "toyota" model is not so plug and play for -17 86. The steering wheel controls are not working and the amp in the rear is not working.
Need to find a circuit drawing for both to fix these.

+The screen is good quality, bright etc. Have to find a dimmer, is currently way too bright in dark.
+Startup is fast, faster than stock HU
+The screen holds really good to the unit. Not at all afraid of it coming of while driving!
+The screen height you can adjust, I think. Toyota model has the screen on different height. But this is easy to change as there are many holes behind the screen. I think I might try to lower it one screw hole down to open the upper dash wents more. Maybe if Im not too lazy...
+-Normal android use. Widget does not show correct time etc. normal things, just need time to fix.

-No volume knob, I don't like touch controls. And still missing the steering remote... Touch controls are on the wrong side for RWD.
-I synced this system with my google account. Some how it wanted to remove 25% of my contacts. Just a flash on the screen something about duplicates, too fast flash to read it. Thanks for google that you can revert to a backup from google contact web page. Maybe also some android flaw, probably not HU problem.

-Manual said that you need to use Joying supplied screws to fasten the unit. There was no screws supplied. So I had to measure all bolt holes and used only holes where original length screws could be used. It is enough to hold the unit, no problem.

Overall I'm still impressed and ready to recommend this to others. The quality/price ratio is excellent. Just be ready to use some time to fix all. Do not prepare for plug and play(10min installation). Prepare to use 1-2hrs on fine tuning. Seems to be the same what ever android system you buy...
Old 02-04-2018, 10:46 PM   #24
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anagonda View Post
The steering wheel remote does not work on - 17. Have to look deeper, probably one connector with 3 cables. It didn't fit cars connector. HU had 20 pins and car 3 or over 20 if you took some adapter of.
There are instructions somewhere for the needed 28pin connector to get the steering wheel controls wired up, along with the rest (including the rear amp)
Old 02-05-2018, 10:17 PM   #25
gahooligan

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
There are instructions somewhere for the needed 28pin connector to get the steering wheel controls wired up, along with the rest (including the rear amp)
Do a google search for "joying android in 2017 BRZ" and you will find the diy thread. Bought the exact pieces he used and wired exactly like he said and everything was pkug and play and worked great! Only issue is joying just released update for the octacore 2gb/32gb units to fix the OBD bluetooth adapter paring issues. You do not need their dongle but you need the update to connect a bluetooth dongle. Update is kind of a pain and no good tutorials online. If you buy one of these and need help pm me and i will call you and talk with you about it. Pretty easy to do. The diy is a must have resource, buy all the right connectors and wire like he did. Do the update first before customizing the unit. (i can explain how)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
gahooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gahooligan For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (08-01-2018), SkyeHack (09-27-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 07:23 AM   #26
Roth

Drives: 2013 Gt86
Nice write up, and the HU looks like a good choice.
Do these android units have a DAB+ module? No more FM here, so I'm currently using the OEM HU with an adapter, but looking for an upgrade.
Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:09 PM   #27
Anagonda

I got the steering wheel remote working. Car has a 4 pin connector after the 28pin connector(like an adapter). The hu harness has 20 pin connector.
Was reading the drawings and noticed that the order is same. And the pins are same size. So I just pushed the 4 pin connector in to the 20pin connector pins and it is very tight fit. It will be fine! So now they work.

For the amp, I connected the ext amp cable from Hu to brown on 10 pin connector but still the amp is silent. I will not look at this any more as I ordered 2 amps, 6.5" set and a subwoofer. So I will install those soon.

Edit: I am having trouble with android screen mirroring. Does not regonize my phone even if usb debugger is enabled and easy connect is installed. Google said it can be the usb port of Hu or the cable. Any one else had problems with this?

Edit2: got the amp working. The pin had come off of the connector.
Tried the screen mirroring. Many cables and one seems to work almost every time. The usb connectors have bad connection. By jiggling the connector the communication works some times. But now I have one cable which I can use!

Last edited by Anagonda; 02-08-2018 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:01 AM   #28
BinkRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anagonda View Post
I got the steering wheel remote working. Car has a 4 pin connector after the 28pin connector(like an adapter). The hu harness has 20 pin connector.
Was reading the drawings and noticed that the order is same. And the pins are same size. So I just pushed the 4 pin connector in to the 20pin connector pins and it is very tight fit. It will be fine! So now they work.

For the amp, I connected the ext amp cable from Hu to brown on 10 pin connector but still the amp is silent. I will not look at this any more as I ordered 2 amps, 6.5" set and a subwoofer. So I will install those soon.

Edit: I am having trouble with android screen mirroring. Does not regonize my phone even if usb debugger is enabled and easy connect is installed. Google said it can be the usb port of Hu or the cable. Any one else had problems with this?

Edit2: got the amp working. The pin had come off of the connector.
Tried the screen mirroring. Many cables and one seems to work almost every time. The usb connectors have bad connection. By jiggling the connector the communication works some times. But now I have one cable which I can use!

This is awesome. Looks like Apple Play is working on these units also so this may be an option for me. How about your backup cam? Is that working ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BinkRZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head unit, joying, universal