follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2014, 01:21 AM   #1
TB

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exhaust on a Budget

Hey everyone, I'm looking for opinions here. I'm in the market for a new cat back exhaust(here-on CBE). I had a TurboXS exhaust on my last car and it sounded exactly how I wanted it to. I know I know, my car isn't turboed and I know a flat 4 will sound much different than a boxer. The TXS system cracked and popped and gurgled, it sounded very aggressive and not droney at all. This is basically what I'm looking for with the CBE for my FRS.

This is where your opinions become needed! I've gone over the exhaust compilation sticky time and time again. But anyone who knows what a good sounding exhaust sounds like, knows that it's much different in person than through computer speakers in 360p on YouTube.

1) IM NOT LOOKING TO GO FORCED INDUCTION.
2) I'm a big fan of my car being considered "built on a budget".

It's not a show car, it's not a race car. It's my DD, I just want it to sound better than it does right now. However I also don't want to be spending an arm and a leg for an exhaust. I know quality isn't cheap, but sometimes there's exceptions. So I ask, what would you reccomend for someone who wants to upgrade their stock exhaust, without breaking the budget? DC Sport? Invidia? They seem to be very popular, please post any reviews or reccomendations in the comments!

Thank you for reading my novel, hopefully my next one will be published by 2016

SASKYSASKATCHEWAN SK86BRZ / TB BUILD THREAD MY BUILD
TB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:42 AM   #2
Kerber23

Drives: Turbo FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
You should specify what is on budget. People with different incomes have a different view of value.

I happen to be a big fan of the N1 Catback exhaust.
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/inde...60UaAjz_8P8HAQ

Match it with an UEL you get a lovely rumble.
Kerber23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:51 AM   #3
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
You may be happier going with a good header first. They offer much bigger power gains (especially when coupled with a good tune) than a cat-back. They also improve sound quality even with used with the factory cat-back.
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
veck (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
ToyoburuBRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I, like you was also on a budget but I like high quality parts. I found the exhaust I wanted and then posted "Want to Buy" ads in the classified section.

I was able to get the exhaust I wanted that was only used for a couple thousand kms and I saved about $400.

Don't limit yourself to cheap systems. You may find something better
Old 09-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
Obja

Drives: Raven FRS/c5 Corvette
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
invidia n1 invidia n1 do what u can for invidia n1
Obja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #6
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB View Post
I know a flat 4 will sound much different than a boxer.
This flat 4 is a boxer
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to drewbot For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (09-12-2014), GotBRZ1691 (09-12-2014), gramicci101 (09-10-2014), Propaganda (09-10-2014), TB (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
SquidyTweak

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Muffler - $100
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000COVAOO""]Amazon[/ame]

Tips - $55
http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...412405&alt=web

Exhaust shop labor -$150 ish

Total - $305

Search "custom exhaust" here to find another member with a YouTube link to how it should sound with an UEL header.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited by SquidyTweak; 09-10-2014 at 08:54 AM.
SquidyTweak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #8
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
define your budget, then we can give you better suggestions.

If your goal is JUST sound, then why not just an axel-back? Might get better quality for same price (if you like any of them that is)

If you're looking for power gains, a good header + tune (but that's going to run you 1-2k), but will add a subtle sound increase.

The master exhaust thread has sound clips from all the exhausts, take a look at those.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #9
tomaszjanczak

Drives: Silver Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Take a look at Top Speed Auto exhausts. They sell on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Exhaust-Syst...m=R40&_nkw=brz

The link is for all exhaust parts they sell for our cars - they have every part (header, overpipe, front pipe, mid pipe, mufflers) They have 2 catback systems (1 quieter 1 louder), an axleback as well. I've heard nothing but good things about them but I never personally had experience with them. Although I do plan to get their EL header very soon.

After the Top Speed Auto, the J2 exhausts are also inexpensive but some of those have fitment issues from what I've read, but Top Speed fitment is great. The next step up would probably be the Invidia N1 (if we're talking about cat-backs). I have the N1 and it is very good quality.

So to summarize, Invidia or Top Speed would be my choices for a budget catback.

However, if I were to do it again, I would get a header first and then see if I want a cat-back because again, from Top Speed, their un-catted headers are cheaper than the catbacks but you also get the power gain AND increased sound so you might be happy with just an aftermarket header and you save money!
tomaszjanczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #10
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
If you just want sound, look at a muffler delete. Many of the options for them sound great, will cost you a lot less, and accomplish essentially the same thing as the CBE without compromising quality by keeping the budget down.

My personal philosophy is to wait and save for the right parts so you don't end up replacing cheap parts over and over when they break or simply don't live up to your expectations. That's just my opinion though, it's not for everyone.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #11
TB

Thanks everyone for your replies! @Kerber23, and @aznatama good point on defining my budget. I think I would be okay around the $700 range, like I said I don't want anything made of solid platinum or coated in gold. As long as it sounds nice and fills in th holes in my bumper I'm happy. Which is why I am interested in the option if an axel back or @Shark_Bait88's idea of a muffler delete. I will have to do some research on both.
@tomaszjanczak I wil take a look at that website, thanks!
@SquidyTweak I never considered a custom exhaust, I'll have to price out something along those lines. Good idea, and thanks for bringing it up!
@Obja and @Kerber23 I like the N1, I'll have to look for a product specific thread somewhere on here for more reviews and pictures.
@ToyoburuBRZ I have been looking in the classified for a while now! I have no problem with buying used, in that case I would try to find a Perrin non resonated..
@Shiv@Openflash I haven't really considered a header system, but I suppose If it can be had within budget then I could consider! Any reccomendations?

Thanks again everyone!

Old 09-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #12
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies! @Kerber23, and @aznatama good point on defining my budget. I think I would be okay around the $700 range, like I said I don't want anything made of solid platinum or coated in gold. As long as it sounds nice and fills in th holes in my bumper I'm happy. Which is why I am interested in the option if an axel back or @Shark_Bait88's idea of a muffler delete. I will have to do some research on both.
@tomaszjanczak I wil take a look at that website, thanks!
@SquidyTweak I never considered a custom exhaust, I'll have to price out something along those lines. Good idea, and thanks for bringing it up!
@Obja and @Kerber23 I like the N1, I'll have to look for a product specific thread somewhere on here for more reviews and pictures.
@ToyoburuBRZ I have been looking in the classified for a while now! I have no problem with buying used, in that case I would try to find a Perrin non resonated..
@Shiv@Openflash I haven't really considered a header system, but I suppose If it can be had within budget then I could consider! Any reccomendations?

Thanks again everyone!

$700 is a fairly normal budget, can definitely get something decent; especially if you like/don't mind single exit systems.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #13
Ammonia

Drives: Whiteout FRS, Audi A4, 135i (sold)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I had a custom muffler delete done. He used some of the parts from the stock exhaust, I ordered tips online, cost me like $200 total (everything) and it's pretty much identical to the Berk muffler delete.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #14
TB

I'd definitely like to keep the dual exit, which again leads me to Invidia...