follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

View Poll Results: .
0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #29
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Draken View Post
any other guide maybe even more focused towards fa20
not really... i'm working on a series of screencasts that highlight some of the unique bits not covered in the available materials. the first is up and there is a thread here for it. i had considered a new doc but bad noodle's is very good, and close enough that it's easier to just point out the variation than to start from scratch.

i've never considered releasing my scripts as most people don't know what a rake task is . if they become too useful i may end up building a web front end for them. they basically just take logs and generate html charts from them, similar to what i did in the first screencast, only 100% automated.

Last edited by jamesm; 12-19-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #30
jamesm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
Not swapping to ECUtek isn't a choice (every choice seems to imply that swapping to ECUtek is going to happen). That being said, this is a step in the right direction for ECUtek, I just can't justify the cost even if I wanted to switch. Maybe someone could actually break down what this offers people over what is currently available at a lower price point (OFT).

Now if we can just get pro tuners to open their tunes to make the information sharing even more efficient everyone can benefit.
here's the breakdown... what i understand to be the benefits of ecutek racerom over what i guess we'd now call 'traditional' rom editing packages like romraider and brzedit:

- better definitions made by people who have not just studied the stock rom's logic, but have experience making significant changes to it. i'm not sure how significant the additional tables and what not are, or if they even apply to everyone, but it's pretty well understood that ecutek has the best defs around.

- sensor input. you can hijack sensors and use them for other purposes. this opens up a world of options when combined with the big one, custom maps. you can't do this with any other existing software package today.

- CUSTOM MAPS! this is it. this is what makes me giggle. i hadn't even considered this a possibility until i started seeing this info come out around the announcement, but damn this is some sick stuff. basically, you can make maps that do anything you want. anything. this is where flexfuel, closed loop boost control, boost cuts etc all come from. the opportunities here are absolutely endless, and will keep the community cranking out awesomeness for years to come. per-gear boost control with ambient temperature compensations? no problem. it's exciting, to say the least.

and the downsides:

- cost. it's more expensive than other options, presuming that you have nothing ecutek-related to begin with. of course if you already have an ecutek tune it's free or $400 for the racerom, so no argument there.
- complexity. a lot of this stuff is on the higher end of what most people would be comfortable experimenting with. of course, this isn't much of a downside as you don't have to use anything beyond what you're used to with other platforms, it's just there for you if you want it. also, as the community figures it out, it'll get easier for everyone. you won't be figuring things out from nothing a few months from now.

overall i'm pretty damn giddy about it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
diss7 (12-19-2013), Sportsguy83 (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #31
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@jamesm
i understand your excitement but imo hold the horses until you get it, what you think is there may not be exactly how you think/expect it. if i were you i would try to find a local tuner who could allow you to play with it for a few hours before spending $$$. or maybe at least read their tuning doc, it should cover all the features i would think.
on a side note, aren't OFT's FFS and Launch control custom tables?
Old 12-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #32
jamesm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgi View Post
@jamesm
i understand your excitement but imo hold the horses until you get it, what you think is there may not be exactly how you think/expect it. if i were you i would try to find a local tuner who could allow you to play with it for a few hours before spending $$$. or maybe at least read their tuning doc, it should cover all the features i would think.
on a side note, aren't OFT's FFS and Launch control custom tables?
I've read it and talked to them, and it is what it purports to be. They have a video on their website showing it off as well. The documentation is also online.

Yes FFS and launch control are custom logic, but they are hard-coded into the rom. Custom maps are entirely different. They allow you to create many of the features what would otherwise require custom logic, just in a free form way by defining your own tables and what does what to what, so to speak.

So flex fuel isn't an ecutek feature the way that FFS is an oft feature. Ecutek engineers didn't modify the rom to enable flex fuel, they just provided the facility for custom maps and then some tuners chose to use them to implement flex fuel. It allows tuners (and now end users) to do what used to require custom rom logic without opening Ida or knowing assembly. Maybe not everything, but a lot.

Everyone knows I'm a critic of ecutek more often than not, but this is cool stuff, light years ahead of what I've been using in terms of flexibility. Perhaps I'm a bit overly enthusiastic, but I really think custom maps alone change the game.
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
vgi (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #33
Bg8780

Drives: '13 Black Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
So this allows me to take my car to a local tuner and get a live dyno tune even though the license is through FA20Club right?

Nothing against them, they've been great I just plan on having a local shop install my headers and retune with the headers while I'm already there.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #34
Visconti
Banned

Drives: 05 STi
Thanked 3,188 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Visconti
What happened to the POLL? WTF!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #35
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
That's really weird, because even if you mistakenly set it to close in one day, we would all still be able to see the choices everyone made...
Old 12-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #36
FRS-Jonathan

Drives: 2013 6spd manual Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
i wan't to learn how to tune but scared shitless, it's port and DI >.< to make matters worse
Old 12-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #37
Victor Draken

Drives: Toyota Gt86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Question: If I have an ecutek licence with the new update that just came out that we can upload any custom map made by ourself, does it mean that I can just download an OFT map, open it up on some opensource program, edit the part i want, save it and load it up using ecutek cable?
Old 12-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #38
jamesm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS-Jonathan View Post
i wan't to learn how to tune but scared shitless, it's port and DI >.< to make matters worse
oddly enough.. it doesn't make matters worse. it's kind of a long story as to why, but di is your friend for sure. conversely, as long as you use regular gasoline and aren't fi you can just ignore it completely if you choose.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #39
Bu-Tang

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Nissan Pathfinder
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
@Visconti So im new to all of this, just to confirm, I can open my BRZedit tune in Ecutek, flash that with Ecutek to my car and now drive and tune that ROM, just like that?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #40
Visconti
Banned

Drives: 05 STi
Thanked 3,188 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Visconti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bu-Tang View Post
@Visconti So im new to all of this, just to confirm, I can open my BRZedit tune in Ecutek, flash that with Ecutek to my car and now drive and tune that ROM, just like that?

Yup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Visconti For This Useful Post:
Bu-Tang (12-19-2013)

Closed Thread