follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #71
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by fionnsfrs View Post
I've noticed something similar, although it still happens when the ac is on. when I accelerate over 2.5 rpms it blows hot air even when the ac is set to full cold. could this just be the same design flaws?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dflood75 View Post
These cars are kinda fucked up, ya? Mine has the same hot air blowing in your face/balls when you get on it
Normal and normal. Most modern cars turn off the A/C compressor when accelerating to get you the most horsepower possible.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #72
notout86

Drives: GTS 86 auto
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I seem to have solved the problem on our car. I made an heat shield strip from aluminium foil to cover the length of the black plastic duct in the engine compartment to deflect radiant heat from the engine. See pic attached. I only expected it to work partially but it works really well. Heat soak from the engine and sun means it can take a while for outside-temperature air to start coming through but it does eventually which to me proves that duct is a major source of the problem. While I was at it I allowed some of the foil to extend down to shield some plastic connecters and some of the firewall. Previously I sealed off an opening near the bonnet hinge that allowed a little engine compartment air into the duct but that acheived nothing.
Ideally I think a lining of foil covering the complete inside the duct would work faster and reduce the effect of the sun, not to mention looking more professional, but I only tried it as a "proof of concept" exercise. Getting inside the duct looks like a pain too. Yet another example of the benefits of heat shielding rocket science to mankind !
Attached Images

notout86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:34 AM   #73
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Drives: ~.~
Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,249 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by notout86 View Post
I seem to have solved the problem on our car. I made an heat shield strip from aluminium foil to cover the length of the black plastic duct in the engine compartment to deflect radiant heat from the engine. See pic attached. I only expected it to work partially but it works really well. Heat soak from the engine and sun means it can take a while for outside-temperature air to start coming through but it does eventually which to me proves that duct is a major source of the problem. While I was at it I allowed some of the foil to extend down to shield some plastic connecters and some of the firewall. Previously I sealed off an opening near the bonnet hinge that allowed a little engine compartment air into the duct but that acheived nothing.
Ideally I think a lining of foil covering the complete inside the duct would work faster and reduce the effect of the sun, not to mention looking more professional, but I only tried it as a "proof of concept" exercise. Getting inside the duct looks like a pain too. Yet another example of the benefits of heat shielding rocket science to mankind !
Dude what the hell...

Kelbyat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #74
JOSI

Drives: Daihatsu
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
^ Heat shielding rocket science.
JOSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #75
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by notout86 View Post
Try turning the dial to the "cool" mode.. oh or recycle and magic..no more hot air coming through the vents
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #76
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashal View Post
Try turning the dial to the "cool" mode.. oh or recycle and magic..no more hot air coming through the vents

You don't actually think anyone in this thread complaining about warm air from the vents hasn't already or always has had the temp dial all the way to the cool side do you?

Come on now...
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fistpoint For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #77
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
You don't actually think anyone in this thread complaining about warm air from the vents hasn't already or always has had the temp dial all the way to the cool side do you?

Come on now...
You would be surprised.
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #78
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post

When the systems were off, no air came out from the vents.
This is not correct. All cars have a small amount of outside air coming in when the car is running. They're designed that way. You cannot stop it. A well designed system may make it hard to notice, but it is there.
I have no comment on its temperature, but there is no stopping that air.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #79
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I learned today that even with the system off, if you push the "recirc" button, (BRZ) that the recirc can be turned on even with the rest (heat or AC) off, and it reduces the air blowing in to almost nothing.

I still have heat radiating from the footwells and engine hump, but I think that's the nature of the car.
I have the same exact issue. The heat that comes from the footwells and engine hump is enough that I normally can't drive my car for very long without having to turn the A/C on to cool my feet and legs off. It normally is enough to make me just roll the windows up and turn the A/C on even though I would rather be rolling windows down and no A/C.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #80
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
It normally is enough to make me just roll the windows up and turn the A/C on even though I would rather be rolling windows down and no A/C.

fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #81
FyeaFRS

Drives: 1992 Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type-M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've found that with A/C off, the air is coldest when on defrost (windshield) than on any other setting, noticeably so. I can tell this by another gripe I have about the setup, that regardless of setting, air still comes out all the dash vents.

I would also add myself to the list of "air seems warmer than it should when on coldest setting without a/c".
FyeaFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #82
sure74

Drives: 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyeaFRS View Post
I've found that with A/C off, the air is coldest when on defrost (windshield) than on any other setting, noticeably so. I can tell this by another gripe I have about the setup, that regardless of setting, air still comes out all the dash vents.

I would also add myself to the list of "air seems warmer than it should when on coldest setting without a/c".
I believe turning on the windshield defrost will kick the A/C on.
sure74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #83
FyeaFRS

Drives: 1992 Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type-M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sure74 View Post
I believe turning on the windshield defrost will kick the A/C on.
Does it do so without turning on the A/C light? Unlike the recycle button and rear defrost, the A/C button looks/feels like it clicks in when on and out for off.
FyeaFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #84
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyeaFRS View Post

The problem is that when I turn the system off in the BRZ Limited you have no idea what mode it is in. Because all the displays go away. The only thing you can tell is whether or not recirc is on.