follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #29
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

Drives: U Mad?
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominican View Post
I dig it, but the fact that more power is coming will make me wait some more time before I pull the trigger. I want my next car to last 10 years with me, and I won't be too happy if there is a more powerful version I could have had. I do like the way this looks though. I've said it before, but I prefer the front from the FR-S and the rear of the BRZ.
Wait for it you wont be disappointed, do not buy the N/A $17k FRS/BRZ essentially that's what it'll be once you drive it off. The car is not going to hold value because there is little mechanical value in it, only perceived value if you know what I mean. If you are OK with ~200whp then that car is for you. If you are used to 300+whp cars or ~11.0 power to weight like me then it's not.

STI variant will cost at least $500+/month with nothing down depending on credit and term, that's another thing to consider.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #30
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So PAI, what I'm getting from your posts is that your sources are telling you that there will be a "true" STi version released shortly after the standard model?
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #31
jayb

Drives: 4wheels
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominican View Post
I dig it, but the fact that more power is coming will make me wait some more time before I pull the trigger. I want my next car to last 10 years with me, and I won't be too happy if there is a more powerful version I could have had. I do like the way this looks though. I've said it before, but I prefer the front from the FR-S and the rear of the BRZ.
+1. Buy the Subaru & switch the front end with parts from Toyota (if all the nuts & bolts are in the same place), I doubt you could do it the other way round (modify the Toyota rear end to that of Subaru).
jayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #32
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAImportTuner View Post
Out of all the members on here Dave I thought you would understand. Anyways forget Toyota for now, this is Subaru, Subaru with no leash and an estimated 31k USD for the prized STI variant. STI variant not the new gen AWD WRX or STI which is gunning for ~3100lbs.

As said you can drop over 200++# easily. The standard FRS/BRZ will not have factory wheel setup that will reduce 100# alone.
My original point was that the 2,500lbs specified in this article is for the Subaru version of the Scion/Toyota, which we know the weights for (Obviously Motor Trend didn't when the article was written). It wasn't for an STI version, nor any performance version, just a basic BRZ that according to Subaru/Toyota hints will be the same car as the FR-S minus front/rear bumpers, badging and interior trims. I wasn't argueing that you CAN'T lose 200lbs from the car.

Aluminum parts can reduce weight, pretty nicely too, but we don't know what they'll do with an STI version so all we can go by is what they've done in the past, which has increased weight...

You can absolutely drop several hundred lbs from these cars, that's not really a question, but can you do it while making the car an STI? That I'm not so sure about. Adding a turbo will add weight. A bigger engine will add weight. Bigger brakes add weight (a trade off I'm perfectly willing to take generally) but calipers (AL instead of steel) can offset some of that, etc. You can switch to AL doors, AL trunk lid, AL roof skin, AL suspension arms, etc and you'll save some weight, but it won't be a ton. Other than that I only see them increasing weight by adding stuff to the car.

100lbs in wheels? Christ, what wheels are you used to? I'd guess at the stock wheels weight around 17-18lbs, but lets go with 20lbs. To lose 100lbs the new wheels would have to be lighter than air...
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #33
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
so this is the same car that C&D drove, an automatic, and probably took place in the states. having said that, everything they say is all speculation. we now have hard numbers from the brochures. less than 2500 lbs is a wet dream, not reality. the same with the 170 ft lbs of torque, etc.
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #34
poormans_LFA
FT86Club.com O.G.

Drives: Gunmetal Gundam Wing Zero Custom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The things that really sucks is that the wheel bulges just aren't there on the production car as they are on this awesome looking concept. Perhaps the STI will incorporate such features. Would really up the level of aggression in the design of the production car, especially next to a 370Z with its bulging flairs.
poormans_LFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #35
Stubaru

Drives: 06 Forester XT. 1989 Isuzu Impulse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
My original point was that the 2,500lbs specified in this article is for the Subaru version of the Scion/Toyota, which we know the weights for (Obviously Motor Trend didn't when the article was written). It wasn't for an STI version, nor any performance version, just a basic BRZ that according to Subaru/Toyota hints will be the same car as the FR-S minus front/rear bumpers, badging and interior trims. I wasn't argueing that you CAN'T lose 200lbs from the car.

Aluminum parts can reduce weight, pretty nicely too, but we don't know what they'll do with an STI version so all we can go by is what they've done in the past, which has increased weight...

You can absolutely drop several hundred lbs from these cars, that's not really a question, but can you do it while making the car an STI? That I'm not so sure about. Adding a turbo will add weight. A bigger engine will add weight. Bigger brakes add weight (a trade off I'm perfectly willing to take generally) but calipers (AL instead of steel) can offset some of that, etc. You can switch to AL doors, AL trunk lid, AL roof skin, AL suspension arms, etc and you'll save some weight, but it won't be a ton. Other than that I only see them increasing weight by adding stuff to the car.

100lbs in wheels? Christ, what wheels are you used to? I'd guess at the stock wheels weight around 17-18lbs, but lets go with 20lbs. To lose 100lbs the new wheels would have to be lighter than air...
Food for thought: STi never needed to worry about weight, STi's (the car) were already tubby. The few times when STi had to make a car lighter, the RA-spec, they did a very good job at it. I think if tasked with making the car lighter, they will be able to. They just have never really had to.

Stu
Stubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #36
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
SEDAN version!?!?! Thats a thought and a half...
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #37
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
They admit the BRZ structure has been engineered from the get-go to allow for a convertible version, so you can bet we'll see a softtop model within the next few years. And, most intriguing of all, they say the platform is flexible enough to allow for a significant wheelbase stretch. A BRZ-based four-door sport sedan? Now that's an interesting idea...

this jumped out at me. no wonder it's heavier than expected... its like a S2000 coupe...
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #38
Streetice
Local Nut...

Drives: Soon FR-S
Garage
I cant read anymore my heads starting to hert!!

9-10 people have some good to say or ask, I want to read it all but ill be here all day

Concept cars body wise are allways beter than producton model in my option but performance tends to just keep going up from there on so I see a nice STI verson to come out later on, something I might just wait for, I can still beat the crap out of my j-body for a little longer hehe
Old 11-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #39
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetice View Post
I cant read anymore my heads starting to hert!!

9-10 people have some good to say or ask, I want to read it all but ill be here all day
lol only 3 pages man what do you do when we get leaks and a thread explodes into 12+ pages
Old 11-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #40
Lordharding

Drives: Subaru WRXd & classic turbo 2000
Fantastic
Where do I sign

It's been a fantastic 3/4 days every time I get home I have a email from this great forum
Lordharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #41
blofeld42

Drives: econobox
Target production of 3000? That's only about eight per dealer in the US. That works out to about one per month per dealer. Less if the 3000 number is for worldwide sales.
blofeld42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #42
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAImportTuner View Post
You're just gonna have to wait for the specifics.

In retrospect I could do it for less than you granted I don't have to change internals, the point is you still have a $24k car with $8k in mods costing more, voiding warranty, losing reliability, longevity and still being slower.

All I can say is this will be a car you can drive off the floor, smoke things in the straights, corners and say it was money well spent and not many on the road like it.
Faster? We already know there won't be a FI model even from Subaru at the get-go. So, $31k for what? I'm asking the same question.

It seems like that $31k will be for pretty much everything you'd be able to dealer option onto its -twin- car, the FR-S.

When I say "do myself" I don't mean engine mods to make it as fast as the STi (it'll be the same damn engine with the same damn output), I meant options offered via brochure and end up with a car I want, at the price I want, instead of having to spend an arm and a leg for an entire package deal (STi).

Hell, an STi version hasn't even been confirmed. Its just speculation.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz forums, brz sti, brz sti concept, brz sti forum, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums, subaru brz sti, subaru brz sti concept, subaru brz sti forum