follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-25-2020, 03:12 AM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
And further back even yet.

Ya want torque and a light body - we had it back in the 50's -

(that song ought to drive ol @Tcoat back underground)

Actually, that race was on the Old Spiral Highway, coming up from Lewiston, ID.

humfrz
Nah I am fine with tat. Doesn't have that country twang or three bar beat.
humfrz (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 09:41 AM   #16
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The weight distribution of the batteries is based purely upon convenience of available space. The thing will be grossly butt heavy. Nice for traction but truly horrible for steering.
There are a number of mid- and rear-engine cars that might suggest otherwise...

Quote:
The thing has an 80 mile range which would just plain suck.
For most people that would easily get them to and from work during the week and handle most weekend trips as well. Yes, longer trips are kind of out of the question, but so what, this is still cool and for me, even with a 55-mile commute, it would serve 90% of my street-car needs.

I worked at an EV company for a while and rode a ~400cc equivalent electric motorscooter most of the time in nice weather. Never having to stop for gas was a nice benefit I hadn't really considered.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:00 AM   #17
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post

For most people that would easily get them to and from work during the week and handle most weekend trips as well. Yes, longer trips are kind of out of the question, but so what, this is still cool and for me, even with a 55-mile commute, it would serve 90% of my street-car needs.

I worked at an EV company for a while and rode a ~400cc equivalent electric motorscooter most of the time in nice weather. Never having to stop for gas was a nice benefit I hadn't really considered.
whats your opinion of the leaf battery pack then? in my research, it's got generally poor reviews due specifically to being an air cooled pack, which severely limits it's cold and hot weather range contrasted with liquid cooled packs that can better adjust to temperature extremes.

edit: let me rephrase that a little-- the leaf pack, being what it is reviews like it has more range issues because of it's cooling method. i'm seeing reports that the 80mi is perfect weather. get into near freezing or above 80 degrees, and it's range more consistently drops to somewhere around 30-50 miles.

yes, that's still plenty for most people, but it's enough of a dramatic shift to alter the usage viability.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:43 AM   #18
Tcoat

Quote:

Maybe but they have suspension designed to handle that distribution. Go put 200 or 300 pounds in your trunk and get back to us.

The 80 mile range is based upon the Leaf. The probability of this thing getting that is remote. People are concerned about the 300 mile range on electric cars so why would a probable quarter of that be fine.

I rode a bicycle and took the bus for years and never having to stop to plug in was nice.

I didn't say it wasn't a fun little project I said it was not any form of improvement on the IC base car. Designed and built as one could be a whole different matter.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:50 AM   #19
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
whats your opinion of the leaf battery pack then? in my research, it's got generally poor reviews due specifically to being an air cooled pack, which severely limits it's cold and hot weather range contrasted with liquid cooled packs that can better adjust to temperature extremes.
I don't know enough about the Leaf battery pack. Thermal management is a big deal to maximize performance and life out of big battery packs though, so if it's lacking there, yeah, that's a big hit.

For sure a Tesla pack and motor would be preferable but more weight, more $$$...

Quote:
i'm seeing reports that the 80mi is perfect weather. get into near freezing or above 80 degrees, and it's range more consistently drops to somewhere around 30-50 miles.
Average speed is also a huge factor, drive a little faster and lose a ton of range potential... I would take back-roads to my work 35 miles away to avoid high speeds, side benefit was much less stress and nice scenery!

Quote:
yes, that's still plenty for most people, but it's enough of a dramatic shift to alter the usage viability.
Yeah, unfortunately if you have to have one car to do it all, including road trips, electric isn't the best solution.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-25-2020), Tcoat (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #20
ZDan

Quote:
Maybe but they have suspension designed to handle that distribution. Go put 200 or 300 pounds in your trunk and get back to us.
Easy enough to put stiffer springs in back and softer in front to balance the handling. Stock car is woefully front-heavy anyway, IMO...

Quote:
The 80 mile range is based upon the Leaf. The probability of this thing getting that is remote. People are concerned about the 300 mile range on electric cars so why would a probable quarter of that be fine.
"People"? Yeah, a lot of folks need to be able to go a lot farther than that. But a lot of people don't. No, a car like this isn't for everyone.

Quote:
I rode a bicycle and took the bus for years and never having to stop to plug in was nice.
??? Irrelevant. I rode my electric bike just as I would ride my ICE motorcycle. You would have had a time doing my commute either on a bicycle or via public transportation.

Quote:
I didn't say it wasn't a fun little project I said it was not any form of improvement on the IC base car. Designed and built as one could be a whole different matter.
It is an improvement in terms of emissions. And weight distribution

I hope that before we go to all autonomous cars we at least have an era were there are smallish/fun rwd electric cars for a bit. Not counting on it... Still it's great to see projects like this.

FWIW here's my electric SV650 motorcycle I built with some help from my friends:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkTcbaMjF9A[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM33sk7rBI4[/ame]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (02-12-2020), Tcoat (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 12:09 PM   #21
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
Why not like put a big engine in a Tesla or something and pull a big switch-a-roo?
Price.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:24 PM   #22
Tcoat

Quote:
Easy enough to put stiffer springs in back and softer in front to balance the handling. Stock car is woefully front-heavy anyway, IMO...

"People"? Yeah, a lot of folks need to be able to go a lot farther than that. But a lot of people don't. No, a car like this isn't for everyone.

??? Irrelevant. I rode my electric bike just as I would ride my ICE motorcycle. You would have had a time doing my commute either on a bicycle or via public transportation.

It is an improvement in terms of emissions. And weight distribution

I hope that before we go to all autonomous cars we at least have an era were there are smallish/fun rwd electric cars for a bit. Not counting on it... Still it's great to see projects like this.

FWIW here's my electric SV650 motorcycle I built with some help from my friends:
Sure you could add heavier springs and compensate for the weight but that changes the dynamics even more. You could also work at spreading the batteries out instead of just using the space that is already there from the ICE design.
It is fun that both the new Subaru Global Platform and Toyota Architecture are clearly stated to be easily adaptable to hybrid and electric vehicles. You may get your wish of a proper electric sports car sooner than you think.

I think that at some level we actually agree in most points and I am just trying to say that this particular set up is not practical or really beneficial. It is just baby steps towards the future of modding.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #23
ZDan

Quote:
Sure you could add heavier springs and compensate for the weight but that changes the dynamics even more.
Adjusting front/rear roll stiffness with the change in front/rear weight distribution would be an improvement, not a detriment, to handling dynamics. I mean, that would be the whole idea of it.

Quote:
You could also work at spreading the batteries out instead of just using the space that is already there from the ICE design.
Yeah, it would be a lot better to have those batteries back behind the rear wheels in the spare tire area relocated to the rear seat area instead. IMO the increased polar moment is a bigger deal than the altered front/rear weight distribution.

Speaking of which, my "electric SV650" indeed handled like a 2-wheel tank because of weight distribution (two heavy packs in added-on saddlebag structures). This would be way less noticeable in a 4-wheeler but yeah, not ideal...

Quote:
I think that at some level we actually agree in most points and I am just trying to say that this particular set up is not practical or really beneficial. It is just baby steps towards the future of modding.
Yeah, I'm with you. For sure this is more of a home-built project and not a holistically engineered car. But STILL, I think it's pretty cool! Really really really hope somebody'll engineer and build a real production EV like this...
Old 01-25-2020, 01:00 PM   #24
PWBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
And make sure you go way back in tech!

Sigh. I do miss my’69 Roadrunner...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PWBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PWBRZ For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 03:52 PM   #25
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Props on the SV in any case.
Don't even break with installation of super mods.
2 wheel cockroach. Still love mine.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
ZDan (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 06:00 PM   #26
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/30431/...ema-swap-ready

it's really only a matter of time before they do the same thing with a 2jz.
gravitylover (02-12-2020), p1l0t (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 06:52 PM   #27
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/30431/...ema-swap-ready

it's really only a matter of time before they do the same thing with a 2jz.
That's amazing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-25-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 12:03 PM   #28
George Rosebush

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That article is merely a super short summary of this thread.

There's all the build details.
George Rosebush is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George Rosebush For This Useful Post:
sunami88 (01-27-2020)