follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Open Flash Tablet vs ECU Tek?

Has anyone here tried both OFT and ECUTek on a 2017+ car?

I'm researching what software tune to get for my 2019 BRZ. I'll probably also get a FT86 catted header for the car, but am still undecided on that. I like the ability to go back to the stock tune with OFT (need to keep my car emissions-legal), but I've also read some very positive reviews on experiences with ECUTek.

Has anyone had experiences with both tunes?

Thank you!
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
Unholypanda

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium w/ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You can go back stock with EcuTek. OFT is fine if you plan on staying NA. If you ever want to go either FI or get a FlexFuel kit just save yourself the headache and spend the extra money on a EcuTek kit, and a tune.
Unholypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unholypanda For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (10-29-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 12:12 PM   #3
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,254 Times in 7,347 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
OFT is just a tool to interface with the car, load tunes, and datalog. Tunes are made in programs like Romraider which can do most of what Ecutek can do. Openflash just happens to supply off the shelf tunes which you can download and use. These are pretty generic and parts like CAI's can cause issues which will require adjustments.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106068
Link above has info in the different systems.

If you just want a tune for your header on petrol then probably just go oft will be cheaper

As above if you want flex fuel system you will need to go ecutek. Their is no support for flex fuel systems for 2017+ cars with oft.

You could run dedicated e85 tune with oft but not a flex fuel system.

If you want to be avle to retrun to stock yourself you would need to biy ecutek cavle kit, ecutek ecu licience and tune. Will be more expensive than just buying oft as it comes with tune and no licience required.

Ecutek is a much more powerfull system , but if you just want a basic NA tune it will be quite expensive
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 12:48 PM   #5
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thank you! I plan to keep the car NA, and E85 is hard to find in my area so no flex-fuel either, so it sounds like the OFT will work for me.

Thanks again!
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #6
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
Thank you! I plan to keep the car NA, and E85 is hard to find in my area so no flex-fuel either, so it sounds like the OFT will work for me.

Thanks again!

OFT if you need a basic map/tuning.

EcuTek if you go custom map.

I'm on custom tuning with OFT and it's taking 2 months so far, with new datalogs/instructions 2 weeks apart. Tuner had a kid last year and now he has some eye problems now that he needs surgery for.
AnalogMan (10-30-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 01:58 PM   #7
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
OFT if you need a basic map/tuning.

EcuTek if you go custom map.

I'm on custom tuning with OFT and it's taking 2 months so far, with new datalogs/instructions 2 weeks apart. Tuner had a kid last year and now he has some eye problems now that he needs surgery for.
That is on the tuner, not on the product. If you were using Ecutek and this situation you would be in the same boat.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:52 PM   #8
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
That is on the tuner, not on the product. If you were using Ecutek and this situation you would be in the same boat.

Okay, lets talk about the product then.

Numerous people have had their OFT devices brick on them because when you plug in the device, it forces to auto update. The solution is to contact their support which takes a long time to respond so they can remote into your computer to reset it.
Other minor inconveniences such has having to use USB 2.0 slots, some users having issues with it on the latest Windows 10. Most recently, an owner asked if anyone else had an issue with their antivirus detecting the open flash software as a virus (false positive I believe).

Also need to purchase some erase credits if it's been unmarried too many times (I believe 5 times).

I've had mine freeze up once when I left it in my car. It reads OS is loading and won't go past that. Tried unplugging/plugging the OBD cable, turning on and off the car, plugging it into a computer.
Somehow it managed to solve itself when I left it on my desk for a day and tried to plug it in my car again the next.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention my tuner who is the owner of OFT. I can't vouch for a product if the owner of the company is not reliable. I can see why a lot of shops and tuners won't work with OFT even if it's open source. Thats why I originally said if it's for basic maps get OFT, otherwise if you're tuning for custom maps or doing anything further it's better to go with ecutek that is proven and reliable.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:05 PM   #9
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Hello

I'm OFT e85 tune, ft86sf catted header, and an ebay catback. It's great over stock, I'm really mulling over going ecutek though for flex fuel capability.

Sans e85 it doesn't really feel faster to me as much as it feels like it pulls harder 3-5k rpm. E85 is a noticeable difference.

Last edited by alphasaur; 10-29-2019 at 05:18 PM.
alphasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:10 PM   #10
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:

Numerous people have had their OFT devices brick on them because when you plug in the device, it forces to auto update. The solution is to contact their support which takes a long time to respond so they can remote into your computer to reset it.
Other minor inconveniences such has having to use USB 2.0 slots, some users having issues with it on the latest Windows 10. Most recently, an owner asked if anyone else had an issue with their antivirus detecting the open flash software as a virus (false positive I believe).

Also need to purchase some erase credits if it's been unmarried too many times (I believe 5 times).

I've had mine freeze up once when I left it in my car. It reads OS is loading and won't go past that. Tried unplugging/plugging the OBD cable, turning on and off the car, plugging it into a computer.
Somehow it managed to solve itself when I left it on my desk for a day and tried to plug it in my car again the next.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention my tuner who is the owner of OFT. I can't vouch for a product if the owner of the company is not reliable. I can see why a lot of shops and tuners won't work with OFT even if it's open source. Thats why I originally said if it's for basic maps get OFT, otherwise if you're tuning for custom maps or doing anything further it's better to go with ecutek that is proven and reliable.
That I agree with. I am just saying, the actual tuning experience is going to be based on the tuner. There are other options, like steve99 and wayno. Openflash sucks to deal with.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:36 AM   #11
steve99
Banned

Quote:

Yes oft has had a few issues lately with updates but its mostly solved now.

Tip if you dont want oft to update close your internet conection before plugging in oft to computer

Ive had a bunch of hassles with ecutek racerom 10 andeven racerom 11, triggering random vsc\trac codes limp mode , ecu shutdowns. Fueling issues , timing issues with flex intergration. So believe me ecutek is not bug free.

Ive also had a ecutek dongle !key fail, $250 Aud for replacement ie half fhe price of a kit

With oft the erase credits are free you just need to ask for them once device has been erased more than a few times.

Tuners generally dont like oft or tactrix as they cannot lock ecu.

They prefer brzedit or ecutek due ecu and tune locking

Especially ecutek for boost and flex, its just way easier for tuner and flex and closed loop boost control on all rom ids, also logging on brzedit and ecutek is generally superior and more supported roms.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:46 AM   #12
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
Has anyone here tried both OFT and ECUTek on a 2017+ car?

I'm researching what software tune to get for my 2019 BRZ. I'll probably also get a FT86 catted header for the car, but am still undecided on that. I like the ability to go back to the stock tune with OFT (need to keep my car emissions-legal), but I've also read some very positive reviews on experiences with ECUTek.

Has anyone had experiences with both tunes?

Thank you!

If your half decient with computers just buy a tactrix www.tactrix.com

Can help you with tunes and definitions to flash your car