follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
FREDUKE

Drives: A Bucket
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How do I get rid of my POS vehicle?

I've seen ads in the penny saver that usually say cash for your car, running or not but what will be the best bet to get a decent amount of cash thrown my way for my beater?

I live in Los Angeles and I want to get the frs, would trading it in at the dealer, get me at least minimum trade in value? Or is there a place that would give me more?

I have a 1993 Toyota Camry it still runs, has a damaged fender, has over 200,000 miles on it but had a new engine put in like 5 years ago. The car overheats in the summer whenever I trygoing up hill by the Getty center, the car jumps trying to accelerate to first gear, but when it gets past 1st it drives normally. My car has been a trooper for me

So yea, anyone have experience tossing your bucket for some cash? Any help would be appreciated lol
FREDUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Craigslist...

or arson/insurance fraud.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREDUKE View Post
I've seen ads in the penny saver that usually say cash for your car, running or not but what will be the best bet to get a decent amount of cash thrown my way for my beater?

I live in Los Angeles and I want to get the frs, would trading it in at the dealer, get me at least minimum trade in value? Or is there a place that would give me more?

I have a 1993 Toyota Camry it still runs, has a damaged fender, has over 200,000 miles on it but had a new engine put in like 5 years ago. The car overheats in the summer whenever I trygoing up hill by the Getty center, the car jumps trying to accelerate to first gear, but when it gets past 1st it drives normally. My car has been a trooper for me

So yea, anyone have experience tossing your bucket for some cash? Any help would be appreciated lol
You can sell it directly to a junk yard. They'll give you scrap value for it (usually based on weight). Since it runs you can drive it there so the cash value won't be negated by a towing charge.

Your dealer will probably also pretend to give you something for it as a trade.

Craigslist is also a good option. Find out the junk value, double it, and list it for a couple of weeks. I know someone that sold a Firebird that had rust issues, barely ran and looked like crap for $400 on Craigslist because someone wanted it for the glass that was in good shape.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
FREDUKE

Drives: A Bucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
Craigslist...

or arson/insurance fraud.
lol see but with Craigslist do I mention my car is a POS that needs a ton of work and you're most likely buying a lemon?? I don't feel like being the sketchy Craigslist guy >_>
FREDUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREDUKE View Post
lol see but with Craigslist do I mention my car is a POS that needs a ton of work and you're most likely buying a lemon?? I don't feel like being the sketchy Craigslist guy >_>
Honesty is the best policy.

Just be like your selling the car to anyone who's interested for the parts on it. But mention all things you did in you original post too. In case someone wants to attempt to fix it up.

If it was me I'd just junk since its simple and not a real hassle. Good luck.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Give it to a charity you like with a vehichel donation program and get and get the tax deduction.
neutron256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron256 View Post
Give it to a charity you like with a vehichel donation program and get and get the tax deduction.
Yea, I thought of that to, but the OP did mention the need for cash.

My DD (2000 Astro with 289K miles) blew its motor bearings this week. I was going to give it to a charity, but one of the mechanics at the shop where I took it for diagnosis offered me a couple hundred dollars and to deinstall my OmniFi player for me. So I lucked out.

Hated to see her go, she had been a good car and the body was in excellent condition but $5,000 to $7,000 to replace engine/tranny just didn't seem a good use of funds. At least she isn't going to the crusher which was my other option.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Garage
Quote:
That would be a nice gesture, but I think It would be nice if the car was running at full capacity with no problems.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-17 View Post
That would be a nice gesture, but I think It would be nice if the car was running at full capacity with no problems.
It doesn't really matter. Most of the charities that have donation programs expect the cars are going to be on the verge of death. My understanding is most have relationships with schools that have automotive programs. The cars are worked on for free (except cost of parts) then sold and the profit goes to the charity.
neutron256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Garage
Quote:
It doesn't really matter. Most of the charities that have donation programs expect the cars are going to be on the verge of death. My understanding is most have relationships with schools that have automotive programs. The cars are worked on for free (except cost of parts) then sold and the profit goes to the charity.
Wasn't sure what charity we're talking about that sound good. I know the trade school around here does that kind of stuff too.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-17 View Post
Most charities take them either way. They take them and fix some up, but resell or junk others for the scrap value. Either way its money in their pocket and a tax deduction for you.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Drive that bia till she dies and save some miles off your new FR-S when you get her. For example if you're just running to the store wouldn't you rather put the miles on the Camry, have it wacked by a granny throwing her car door open, or perhaps wrecked by someone not stopping at a redlight?
Kimsey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
powertrip

Drives: Mercedes C320, S2000
The question you havent answered is exactly how much you are expecting for it. If you only expect <500 you should have no problems getting that as scrap/parts value. If you are expecting a few grand...well good luck. If you list it somewhere visible at a reasonable price you will surely get a bite on it. There are always places in the secondary market interested in parts or beater cars.
powertrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
... There are always places in the secondary market interested in parts or beater cars.
Agreed. As a teenager (mind you this was heap many moons ago) I bought a string of $300 to $500 cars, drove 'em hard and then when they needed too much work I'd sell them and buy a "new" one. Broke even or made money on every one of them.

If you don't have wheels AND money at all, a minimally priced car that runs of any type is better than nothing.