follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
alex.s

Drives: '17 BRZ Premium. Totaled: '16 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OnGrid - Buttonwillow - Saturday 6/10/17

hey all. figured i would see if anyone from here is going to this. i signed up. first track day in any car! used to ride bikes a lot so i know buttonwillow and general track etiquette already. but i'm pretty nervous about having 4 wheels this time.

any tips for the first time on track in a car? what exactly is point to pass? i see someone behind me so i pull to the side and point them by?

edit: i see now i'm in the wrong subforum... well shit
alex.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
Azzudien

Drives: 2017 Series Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I can relate as I did my first ever track day about month ago.

Point by is simple telling the car behind you which side to pass you on. You don't move off your line, they need to go around you. You either point to your left or point to your right over the top of car.
Make sure you are in a designated passing zone before giving a point by.

Best advice is get an instructor in your car. Relieves a ton of stress having a coach right in car. Mine had a microphone earbud set up so I could hear and talk to him easily.

Most important thing I learned was weight shifting and balance. Once I learned to balance the car with throttle and brake I grew much more confident quickly.

The most surprising thing I learned. There is no coasting, you are either on the throttle or on the brake, there is no in between.
By end of the day my instructor was saying "more power" when I was tracking out of corners, which I calmly replied "Buy me a turbo"

Have a blast, I loved it and have several more days lined up this summer including a car control clinic coming up in June
Azzudien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:41 PM   #3
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
hey all. figured i would see if anyone from here is going to this. i signed up. first track day in any car! used to ride bikes a lot so i know buttonwillow and general track etiquette already. but i'm pretty nervous about having 4 wheels this time.

any tips for the first time on track in a car? what exactly is point to pass? i see someone behind me so i pull to the side and point them by?

edit: i see now i'm in the wrong subforum... well shit
86CUP will be running that day with multiple veteran drivers. Please contact one of them when you get the chance and join the 86CUP Facebook group for more information. They are more than willing to help out!
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
Kordless (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
Kordless

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Hey Alex,

See you on the 10th!

Lots of 86 owners will be there to help you out

It's only my third track day and first with 86CUP, but I already know most of the 86CUP guys and they are very nice and good people.

I'm going to be in Group 1 so I believe we're going to be in the same group, just pay attention to the driver's meeting and attend the after session download meetings! Everything will be covered there! If you have any questions during the meeting, make sure to ask.

I'm going to be in a Silver BRZ with APR Aero Bits and Wedsport Wheels, talk to me if you see me!

Have fun! It's very addicting.
Kordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:46 PM   #5
alex.s

Oh dang! I forgot to look at this again before the track day. I totally saw you there. Should have said hi! I was off in the back corner being antisocial. I've got some good video of you I think. I'm going to be going back to BW on july 9...

Speed SF - 07/09 Buttonwillow
Old 06-26-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
alex.s

wait never mind, i have 20 minutes of the both of us sitting behind a red porsche that won't point by