follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 11-22-2016, 11:56 PM   #15
zdr93523

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
To really set pressures and camber you need a pyrometer, good lap timer, and consistent driving/weather. Just because a car starts to understeer more with 0.5psi higher pressure doesn't mean it's slower, it might be generating more grip and have higher cornering speeds, it just shifted the grip balance rearward a bit.
While a pyrometer is a useful tool, tire wear is actually the only thing you should use to determine a final camber setting... Unless you're doing time attack, then who cares about wear?

I didn't go back and check but I believe this thread started with someone who doesn't have sufficient adjustability for any of this conversation to be relevant and hence why the pressures are going to be way more important than a pyrometer. I'm not even sure why a pyrometer was brought up in the first place. Because of this lack of adjustability, wear and heat will be both excessive on the outside edge no matter what so pressures are the only real thing that will make a difference. Spending money and time (including this conversation) with things that don't have an affect or solution is a waste.
www.makesmodels.com
www.camautomag.com
zdr93523 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zdr93523 For This Useful Post:
OND (11-23-2016), wparsons (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 06:39 PM   #16
OND

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdr93523 View Post
While a pyrometer is a useful tool, tire wear is actually the only thing you should use to determine a final camber setting... Unless you're doing time attack, then who cares about wear?

I didn't go back and check but I believe this thread started with someone who doesn't have sufficient adjustability for any of this conversation to be relevant and hence why the pressures are going to be way more important than a pyrometer. I'm not even sure why a pyrometer was brought up in the first place. Because of this lack of adjustability, wear and heat will be both excessive on the outside edge no matter what so pressures are the only real thing that will make a difference. Spending money and time (including this conversation) with things that don't have an affect or solution is a waste.
Makes sense, I will start with monitoring tire pressures closer and adding a second set of camber bolts to begin with. Pyrometer readings etc might come at a later stage if/when I upgrade some suspension components to gain more adjustability.

I am actually starting to think my higher cold pressures might be causing a vicious cycle where my front tires slide too much, which heats up the tires, which in turn increases the pressure and causes even more understeer.
OND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:31 PM   #17
zdr93523

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OND View Post
Makes sense, I will start with monitoring tire pressures closer and adding a second set of camber bolts to begin with. Pyrometer readings etc might come at a later stage if/when I upgrade some suspension components to gain more adjustability.

I am actually starting to think my higher cold pressures might be causing a vicious cycle where my front tires slide too much, which heats up the tires, which in turn increases the pressure and causes even more understeer.
Could be. Once you reduce pressure to your target after the first session, you should only have to drop each tire a few pounds at most following each subsequent session.

I would caution the second set of camber bolts. You're likely very close to contacting the spring perch with the tire as it is now.

If you every find your pressures extremely hard to control, you likely have moisture in the tires from the air compressor. If this happens, or you think it may help, pull the shrader valve on the valve stem, let the air drain, fill the tire without reinstalling the valve, repeat about 4 times. This will help to remove any moisture from the tire.
www.makesmodels.com
www.camautomag.com
The Following User Says Thank You to zdr93523 For This Useful Post:
OND (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 03:26 PM   #18
zdr93523

Garage
@OND or anyone else...

I'll add to my moisture comment. This usually occurs when an inexperienced person mounts your track tires. If they introduce lube into the tire vs. carefully lubricating the outer edge of the bead, you will have moisture in the tires. A lot of tire shops will slap lube all over the bead of your tires because it is easier for them and it doesn't matter with street tires. I try to mount my track tires with little to no lubrication to avoid this headache. If I do lube the bead, I only do it once the tire is mounted and I'm ready to seat the bead. That way no lube can get inside the tire.

and that's way too much talk about lube for one day haha.
www.makesmodels.com
www.camautomag.com
Old 11-29-2016, 04:27 PM   #19
JDM4E

Drives: Honda Accord Euro
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Wait a minute... Are you saing, that with stock car, driving PROPERLY, the tires will inevitably chunk like on the photo?
I have destroyed a tire exactly like OP on my Accord Euro during 5 laps, but that was because I drove like maniac too hot. There were other cars and during 20min session no one did that to the tires.
JDM4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:51 PM   #20
OND

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM4E View Post
Wait a minute... Are you saing, that with stock car, driving PROPERLY, the tires will inevitably chunk like on the photo?
I have destroyed a tire exactly like OP on my Accord Euro during 5 laps, but that was because I drove like maniac too hot. There were other cars and during 20min session no one did that to the tires.
The wear pictured is after 5 trackdays (open lapping days, probably 1.5-2 hours of driving per day)
The Following User Says Thank You to OND For This Useful Post:
JDM4E (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 04:59 PM   #21
JDM4E

Drives: Honda Accord Euro
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The wear pictured is after 5 trackdays (open lapping days, probably 1.5-2 hours of driving per day)
Oh, than I think all is normal!
JDM4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #22
OND

Quick update

Thanks again for all the advice. Here are the front Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's after 6 months (rotated twice) using -2.3 front camber and 30-32psi cold pressures:

- There is no chunking on front tires and very mild chunking on rear tires, so these tires are definitely a softer compound than Primacies that can take the heat better (despite the stated 340tw)

- As suggested by @zdr93523, the outer shoulders still take the most of the beating and are pretty worn out, even though the rest of the tire has loads of life left

Sooo here is another question for you guys. I might need to replace these tires within a couple months and I am in between these two options:

- Keep using similar Max Perf Summer tires (maybe directional tires like ventus v12, so I can remount them right to left to use the opposite shoulder). I am hoping this will limit max grip and body roll, keeping the tire shoulder wear at an acceptable level. These should also be better for wet track days, daily driving and overall playfulness of the car.

- Go to an Extreme Perf Summer tire (RT615k looks pretty affordable) and hope that their softer compound and better heat tolerance help them wear more evenly on track. Does it even work that way? Or will those tires increase body roll and wear even more on the outer shoulders?

Which option would you go with?
Old 06-05-2017, 08:47 PM   #23
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks again for all the advice. Here are the front Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's after 6 months (rotated twice) using -2.3 front camber and 30-32psi cold pressures:

- There is no chunking on front tires and very mild chunking on rear tires, so these tires are definitely a softer compound than Primacies that can take the heat better (despite the stated 340tw)

- As suggested by @zdr93523, the outer shoulders still take the most of the beating and are pretty worn out, even though the rest of the tire has loads of life left

Sooo here is another question for you guys. I might need to replace these tires within a couple months and I am in between these two options:

- Keep using similar Max Perf Summer tires (maybe directional tires like ventus v12, so I can remount them right to left to use the opposite shoulder). I am hoping this will limit max grip and body roll, keeping the tire shoulder wear at an acceptable level. These should also be better for wet track days, daily driving and overall playfulness of the car.

- Go to an Extreme Perf Summer tire (RT615k looks pretty affordable) and hope that their softer compound and better heat tolerance help them wear more evenly on track. Does it even work that way? Or will those tires increase body roll and wear even more on the outer shoulders?

Which option would you go with?
You are lacking camber, that is all. Regardless what tire you put there. If you use a more sticky tire, the car will roll more and it will eat up the shoulder even more.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
OND (06-05-2017), strat61caster (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 09:50 PM   #24
OND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
You are lacking camber, that is all. Regardless what tire you put there. If you use a more sticky tire, the car will roll more and it will eat up the shoulder even more.
Yeah, that's for sure, but I don't have the budget to add any more camber up front right now, so I am trying to find the tires that would last the longest for my use case. I considered stiffer front and rear sways, but not so sure about those either, since our local track is pretty bumpy.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:10 AM   #25
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, that's for sure, but I don't have the budget to add any more camber up front right now, so I am trying to find the tires that would last the longest for my use case. I considered stiffer front and rear sways, but not so sure about those either, since our local track is pretty bumpy.
Sway bars will aid for sure. They will reduce body roll a lot, which is why you loose negative camber during cornering. Stiffer springs will also help, as will tires with stiffer sidewall. The more budget friendly solution is to get tires with a very stiff sidewall, and very little grip. You wont be going fast, but they will last you a lot and wear better.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote