follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2015, 10:39 AM   #15
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
This picture isn't a myth.

SPL left, SPC right.

Granted, most people don't NEED the SPL, but some people prefer the peace of mind of having a part that is built to a higher standard.

CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
RWDfun (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 10:49 AM   #16
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
This picture isn't a myth.

SPL left, SPC right.

Granted, most people don't NEED the SPL, but some people prefer the peace of mind of having a part that is built to a higher standard.

Not sure what that picture on the right is. But it is not an SPC LCA.

Amazingly we've installed 60+ sets of SPC rear LCAs and they are tracked. Raced and driven on NYC potholes and NJ roads. Not one of them has broken yet.

Like I said those parts are not LCAs. At least not the SPC LCAs we have installed and race with.

Mike
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #17
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDfun View Post
And when you guys talking about track, all you mean drift event on the track, right? I agree with you guys about flex Z, but they just come out and I still wait for review. And one more strange point, I can't find them on Japan market (usually all tein products always available on Japan market).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I was talking about road course.
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #18
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post
Not sure what that picture on the right is. But it is not an SPC LCA.

Amazingly we've installed 60+ sets of SPC rear LCAs and they are tracked. Raced and driven on NYC potholes and NJ roads. Not one of them has broken yet.

Like I said those parts are not LCAs. At least not the SPC LCAs we have installed and race with.

Mike
You're correct; it's not a LCA for a FRS/BRZ, but neither are most of the failure pictures of shattered Rotas.

I'm sorry, but I cannot, in good faith, recommend SPC parts, with my name attached to that recommendation. We'll unfortunately have to agree to disagree, as we see eye to eye on many things.

I suppose you can say, as with investments, "Past performance is no guarantee of future results".
Old 08-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #19
chiefshayan

Drives: 2013 AT Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
That price point you indicate would be entry level dampers.

You won't be able to beat the Flex Z in that price point. It MSRPs for 870, but performs at a higher price point. It's the first truly innovative damper to come out in a while, and is able to combat the cheap stuff at their own price point, and outperform them.
I had a question about the new Tein Flex Z's, what do you think about their twin tube structure, rather than going with a mono design, such as Fortune Auto.

Maybe it's just me but I've always heard Mono is better performing whereas the twin tube is used in factory sedans
chiefshayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:40 PM   #20
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefshayan View Post
I had a question about the new Tein Flex Z's, what do you think about their twin tube structure, rather than going with a mono design, such as Fortune Auto.

Maybe it's just me but I've always heard Mono is better performing whereas the twin tube is used in factory sedans
There's some truth to that statement, but to a limited degree. As a general rule, twins tend to be more comfortable on the street, while monos take heat better for hard driving. That doesn't mean there's exceptions, such as the Ohlins TTX, which is technically a twin, but perform exceptionally well.

The Flex Z is not meant for anything beyond very casual tracking; I would not recommend it for someone who plans on doing more than a few track days over the course of their ownership of the car.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:57 PM   #21
RWDfun

Drives: 2015 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

You won't be able to beat the Flex Z in that price point. It MSRPs for 870, but performs at a higher price point. It's the first truly innovative damper to come out in a while, and is able to combat the cheap stuff at their own price point, and outperform them.
Quote:
There's some truth to that statement, but to a limited degree. As a general rule, twins tend to be more comfortable on the street, while monos take heat better for hard driving. That doesn't mean there's exceptions, such as the Ohlins TTX, which is technically a twin, but perform exceptionally well.

The Flex Z is not meant for anything beyond very casual tracking; I would not recommend it for someone who plans on doing more than a few track days over the course of their ownership of the car.
I'm worrying about Flex Z suitability for drift event. Even in your "Tein Flex Z opinion" you wrote: "the dampers are paired with fairly soft springs". I think, I'll be very happy with Flex Z with 6k springs rates on the street, but I'm not sure that I'll be happy at the drift event even only once a month.

Honestly, would you recommend for purchase Flex Z for your good old friend with same like mine purpose?
RWDfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:22 PM   #22
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
From what I understand, your original intent (mid-range) is probably right for your intended use - but your budget, and your list, are not mid-range.

It's always a compromise somewhere, or so the theory goes.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:30 PM   #23
RWDfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
From what I understand, your original intent (mid-range) is probably right for your intended use - but your budget, and your list, are not mid-range.

It's always a compromise somewhere, or so the theory goes.
I'm embarrassed to ask, but can you tell me what range my budget and list are?
Old 08-13-2015, 09:54 PM   #24
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDfun View Post
I'm embarrassed to ask, but can you tell me what range my budget and list are?
I'm not an expert by any means, but it's scraping the bottom of the price-point - perhaps Koni's or Bilstein and a spring upgrade will do you as well.

My experience is mostly through reading, but as I noted before, I'd only even be considering Tein or ST from your list - and I never did on ST beyond understanding what they offered, and where it fell. Same for the lower end Tein stuff, though since I have Tein I can't say I didn't look (SRC) I landed at T2's being at the bottom of the range I am willing to consider, and then explored from there - Ohlin, KW, T2 (and, since it showed up right before I finally made a purchase, even the T3) all in the running. Who knows what next year will bring (probably no change... )

As someone else put it (no names, no names... hah.)

Quote:
This isn't to say that your budget won't suit your needs well, but understand what's most important, then shop for it. You can find some nice deals in the FS area, but that takes patience and a little luck. But it may be the best way to come closer to performance and budget goals.

C
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:13 PM   #25
RWDfun

I'm an engineer and I always make big research before exciting purchase
Also I know how to find good deal especially if manufacturer outside your country. I have experience as an importer goods.

Related to the coilovers and RLCA choice, why nobody tell about Stance product?
Old 08-14-2015, 01:10 AM   #26
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
If you want a LCA that can take some abuse.

These things are super beefy, but they're also several times the weight of the stock piece they replace. They will also lower the rear at least 25mm without any other changes. I'm assuming this is what you're into.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:05 AM   #27
PunX

Drives: GT86 - minor mods
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
on Coils, some thoughts more. My coils arrived, and another great thing that almost blew me off my feet, height adjustable sway bar links included, another something to consider as they are 100+ extra if you need to get them separately.
PunX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #28
RWDfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunX View Post
on Coils, some thoughts more. My coils arrived, and another great thing that almost blew me off my feet, height adjustable sway bar links included, another something to consider as they are 100+ extra if you need to get them separately.
For what this adjustable sway links need?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk