follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 09-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #1849
troek

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
i belive @CSG Mike has posted that its better to gain camber at the hub/knuckle, as its best to keep strut angle changes to a minimum. although you usualy cant gain enough camber there, in a safe/recomended manner.
troek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #1850
dradernh

Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by troek View Post
...on the slow, almost 1st gear hairpins i was getting severe understeer...what would some driving techniques be to fix this?
You could always try left-foot braking. Gentle left-foot braking.
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dradernh For This Useful Post:
gramicci101 (09-02-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 10:37 PM   #1851
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
You could always try left-foot braking. Gentle left-foot braking.
Key word: gentle. The first few times you try this you will brake check yourself pretty hard. Learn on a straight line before you try it in a corner.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-02-2014), fstlane (09-02-2014), kavanagh (09-02-2014), troek (09-03-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #1852
kavanagh
Fat on Corn Syrup

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FRS AT (yes, auto!)
Thanked 2,748 Times in 1,094 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by troek View Post
i belive @CSG Mike has posted that its better to gain camber at the hub/knuckle, as its best to keep strut angle changes to a minimum. although you usualy cant gain enough camber there, in a safe/recomended manner.
That's what I was thinking as well. Is slotting the knuckle holes a bad idea? I see people talk about slotting, and I assume they mean at the top of the strut tower.
kavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:14 PM   #1853
gramicci101
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavanagh View Post
That's what I was thinking as well. Is slotting the knuckle holes a bad idea? I see people talk about slotting, and I assume they mean at the top of the strut tower.
They expand the top of the two holes that mount to the knuckle. That way they can push the hub back without changing the strut angle. Some struts or coilovers come with that hole slotted already, like the RCE T2.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
kavanagh (09-02-2014), troek (09-03-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 11:19 PM   #1854
kavanagh
Fat on Corn Syrup

Thanks! And I think that's a zero point mod in NASA.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:27 PM   #1855
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Do you guys "heat cycle" your tires before mounting them? Discount Tire offers a service for it. I just found out about this... not sure if legit. Going along with this, what do you recommend for tire longevity for the track? Warm up lap, cooldown lap...?

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...HeatCycling.do
For that price anyone could get a c6z and have money for a simple heads cam package and make a bunch more power and have a superior handling car. This seems overpriced to say the least. "Have it your way" is basically offering someone a massive dildo to shove up their ass BUT they have the option of choosing the method in which it is inserted....

Last edited by unsurety; 09-02-2014 at 11:46 PM.
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:28 PM   #1856
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavanagh View Post
That brings up a good question for me.

Is it 'better' in this car to gain camber at the knuckles or plates? I have one crash bolt only at this point in the top knuckle holes, and I'm deciding on what path to take for more negative front camber.
There's pros and cons to both, but safe to say that unless you're at a VERY high budget, a camber plate is better. The "superior" method requires basically customizing everything.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
kavanagh (09-03-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #1857
dradernh

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsurety View Post
Do you guys "heat cycle" your tires before mounting them? Discount Tire offers a service for it. I just found out about this... not sure if legit. Going along with this, what do you recommend for tire longevity for the track? Warm up lap, cooldown lap...?

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...HeatCycling.do
Not for "tweener" tires like NT01s or R888s.

But for R6s, R1s, etc. I do it simply because I'm too lazy to do my own cycle & scrub. I'm willing to give up the scrub for the convenience of not having to run them for a few laps and then set them aside. I did this even when I had 10 sets of tires and wheels and took 7 of them to the track with me. For $60, I found it to be a no-brainer.

More on DOT-R compound tire ownership here, including some overlap with the Discount Tire link above:

http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/HOOSIER.pdf
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=66
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=221
unsurety (09-03-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #1858
dradernh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Key word: gentle. The first few times you try this you will brake check yourself pretty hard. Learn on a straight line before you try it in a corner.
Good advice. In the one spot where I use it, it's just a brief brush of the pedal, though that won't necessarily be the case for other cars, turns, or drivers.

Didn't someone suggest that when Michael Schumacher was demonstrating superior speed through certain corners that it was due to his left-foot braking technique?

Assuming it's legal, you can practice this on the street to get yourself used to it. Or, just go karting a few times, where you'll be forced to develop some skill at it.
CSG Mike (09-03-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #1859
gramicci101
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Didn't someone suggest that when Michael Schumacher was demonstrating superior speed through certain corners that it was due to his left-foot braking technique?
To be fair, he had a paddle shift transmission, so he could brake all the way into corners with his left foot. I think all F1 drivers left foot brake. For those of us with a third pedal, we're kind of limited to short braking zones that don't involve a downshift, or we start to look like Fred Astaire. The throttle-brake-throttle transition is much quicker though.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #1860
kavanagh
Fat on Corn Syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
To be fair, he had a paddle shift transmission, so he could brake all the way into corners with his left foot. I think all F1 drivers left foot brake. For those of us with a third pedal, we're kind of limited to short braking zones that don't involve a downshift, or we start to look like Fred Astaire. The throttle-brake-throttle transition is much quicker though.

Elegant heel/toe or toe/toe technique can accomplish the same. Instead of jabbing the throttle to get a blip for a shift, be smooth.

Says the guy that now drives with paddles.

FWIW I still cover both with one foot especially under hard braking on the street. It's an old habit that refuses to go away.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #1861
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
Not sure if this is the right place for this:

I took my car to the track for the first time.
Unfortunately, I understeered in one of the tighter corners so that my front left wheel went over the curb (the red/white ones) in an area where the grass was worn away/there was a slight dip from other cars going in.

Visually, I could see no damage, but I did go over it with a bang.

Leaving the track, I noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel when I get over 120km/h, and the vibration becomes more constant when I take right hand curves.

Does this sound like an alignment issue, or is there something more serious I should check for?

Many thanks!
Update:
Brought the car to the Subaru dealership for them to check.
Here's what they came back with:

Their conclusion after taking the car on the highway is that it is due to an exhaust leak, because my of my GReddy axle back is not OEM and "not a proper fit" (despite it being designed for this car)
They also told me because I modified my car, this would void my warranty.

Pretty sure I won't be getting my cars serviced from that dealer again, given that the extent of my mods is an intake and exhaust.

Also, I hate to be "that guy" but I kinda doubt this conclusion, because I can't quite see how an exhaust leak would only happen at 75kph and 120kph, and have a tendency to be louder/detectable through the steering wheel only when I turn to the right hand side.

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing who can chime in and let me know if I should bring it to another shop for a second opinion?

Thanks!
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #1862
GotMunchies?

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ 6MT Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
Update:
Brought the car to the Subaru dealership for them to check.
Here's what they came back with:

Their conclusion after taking the car on the highway is that it is due to an exhaust leak, because my of my GReddy axle back is not OEM and "not a proper fit" (despite it being designed for this car)
They also told me because I modified my car, this would void my warranty.

Pretty sure I won't be getting my cars serviced from that dealer again, given that the extent of my mods is an intake and exhaust.

Also, I hate to be "that guy" but I kinda doubt this conclusion, because I can't quite see how an exhaust leak would only happen at 75kph and 120kph, and have a tendency to be louder/detectable through the steering wheel only when I turn to the right hand side.

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing who can chime in and let me know if I should bring it to another shop for a second opinion?

Thanks!
An exhaust leak won't cause a front end vibration, that dealership was looking for an excuse to not work on your car.

Did you lock up the brakes before going off?

Take another look at your front left wheel, brake rotor, and all the suspension components associated with it. Get your car's jack out, take that wheel off and take a closer look at everything. Give everything a quick wiggle to see if anything got knocked loose or is bent.

Take a look at your wheel - are there any wheel weights still attached? Perhaps there is a blank spot where they USED to be attached?
If it was really muddy, mud can get stuck in some surprising places and cause vibrations.

Does the car pull in any direction?
GotMunchies? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GotMunchies? For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (09-03-2014)