follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

View Poll Results: Which sub <$1,500 coilover?
Tein Street Flex yo! 23 19.01%
Buddy Club Race Spec Damper.. hai! 19 15.70%
Other...please state 79 65.29%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #99
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Did you end up ordering the FA500's?
Old 03-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #100
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I have made my final decision. This is based on:
- Price/affordability (I can't afford high end RCE, Tein, Ohlins, JRZ, etc. Those who can, will most like not get these and more power to them.)
- How the company demonstrates knowledge with their quick, yet detailed, answers (seems like they know, what they know, by heart and don't need a book and a lot of time to answer). Very professional.
- How a coilover system from them seems like it will be a 100% personal, one-on-one build (as opposed to being an "anonymous" unknown customer with an "off the shelf" coilover, that neither the customer nor big Japanese/German company/builder will never really communicate with each other.
- How every little detail of the coilover, damping, valving, dynos, build, parts and related advice and information is fully stated and given.
- All the great things it includes and what it is (custom rates, valving, a real coilover with real damping that works, build quality, QC, etc etc).
- The many great reviews and many, happy, long time users (from both HPDE and street).

My final choice will be:
Fortune Auto 510 (with either F/R 10kg/11kg or 10kg/12kg springs)

Now, that I have made my final decision, the only thing left is just a matter of time until I have saved up my pennies.

This discussion is done, hehe

Peace
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fooddude For This Useful Post:
JPxM0Dz (03-25-2014), solidONE (03-11-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #101
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
what is the conversion from lb/in to kg/mm and vice versa?
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #102
fooddude
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
what is the conversion from lb/in to kg/mm and vice versa?
Divide: kgmm/0.0179
Multiply: lbin*0.0179
Old 03-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #103
Slow_86
Cpt. Slow

Drives: 2015 series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I plan on going Powered By Max coils here once good weather is consistent.

They're probably not the best for DD, unless you like a stiff ride. Had them on my previous S13, handled themselves well at drift events.
Slow_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:29 AM   #104
Hachiroku14

Drives: 2014 BRZ World Rally Blue
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytrix View Post
Stance Super Sport with Swift spring upgrade.
+1 just dont use the endlinks that came with it coz it knocks like hell. and if you set it up correctly ride is better than stock. (2.5" drop for me)
Hachiroku14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:31 AM   #105
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
I have made my final decision. This is based on:
- Price/affordability (I can't afford high end RCE, Tein, Ohlins, JRZ, etc. Those who can, will most like not get these and more power to them.)
- How the company demonstrates knowledge with their quick, yet detailed, answers (seems like they know, what they know, by heart and don't need a book and a lot of time to answer). Very professional.
- How a coilover system from them seems like it will be a 100% personal, one-on-one build (as opposed to being an "anonymous" unknown customer with an "off the shelf" coilover, that neither the customer nor big Japanese/German company/builder will never really communicate with each other.
- How every little detail of the coilover, damping, valving, dynos, build, parts and related advice and information is fully stated and given.
- All the great things it includes and what it is (custom rates, valving, a real coilover with real damping that works, build quality, QC, etc etc).
- The many great reviews and many, happy, long time users (from both HPDE and street).

My final choice will be:
Fortune Auto 510 (with either F/R 10kg/11kg or 10kg/12kg springs)

Now, that I have made my final decision, the only thing left is just a matter of time until I have saved up my pennies.

This discussion is done, hehe

Peace
I expect an in depth review.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:35 AM   #106
IAmNotTheDriftKing

Drives: I own an FR-S. . . whatelse!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just so you know, the FA510 are more track focused the FA500 are more street focused. The FA510 will be much harsher than stock.
IAmNotTheDriftKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #107
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmNotTheDriftKing View Post
Just so you know, the FA510 are more track focused the FA500 are more street focused. The FA510 will be much harsher than stock.
Track focused does not equate to harsher than stock. It is much the opposite. If it is "harsher", then setting up the suspension on a go-kart is the best for the track.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #108
chiefshayan

Drives: 2013 AT Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I'm having the same dilemma between the 500's vs 510's. The only differences I noticed were that the 510's use amsoil oil (which I think can be switched out on the 500's which use P synthetic 5w or 10w shock oil) and use the word "ultra" which I guess means more suitable for the track.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe @ft86speedfactory uses the FA500's on their S/C track car.
chiefshayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #109
fooddude
Banned

@IAmNotTheDriftKing @chiefshayan

I think "harsher" or "suitable" are the wrong words when describing the 510 or a similar perf/digressive focused shock; and, "capable" is a better word...ie: "510 is more track capable", but that doesn't necessarily mean un"capable" or "harsher" on the street (unless the global and overall custom valving will be built to be very very stiff and have more high-speed force than the "Street" coilover's high-speed force) ...since the ultra digressive valving actually helps much more in street/harsness/bumps/rough roads than anything else (keeps bumps and other high-speed shocks/movements to a minimum, since it tapers off, "blows off" and isn't linear/progressive like a "street" non-digressive damper)..all while still having much more force on the slow-speed damping section. ..Hope that made sense.

*I think another way, and more easier way to think about it is, using a number ranking, from softest to stiffest..Example
- The cheaper 500: Handling firmness 3, bumps/rough road firmness 8
- More digressive OTS 510: Handling firmness 6, bumps/rough road firmness 8 (same as the 500)
- or, softer valved 510: Handling firmness 5, bumps/rough road firmness 7 (rides better on the street than the 500)
- or, a firmer valved 510: Handling firmness 9, bumps/rough road firmness 11 (which in this extreme case, WILL be rougher than the "Street" 500; but only because everything else, including low-speed damping, has been raised significantly)

Now, let's take that "Street" linear 500 to have the same low-speed as the 510:
- firmer 500: Handling firmness 6, bumps/rough road firmness 11
(much harsher ride than the OTS 510's handling of 6 and rough road firmness of only 8)

*(just a caveman/layman's example to make it easier to understand ....none of this is actual data obviously, lol)

From what I understand and have read - the 510 has different valving design (more digressive), better internals (ie: ohlins shims), oil, etc., etc.

Like CSG stated...just because it's track-focused doesn't mean it'll be harsh on the street...if anything, it'll be much better on the street vs a linear damper of the same low-speed force/firmness, due to having a digressive curve that can "blow off" high-speed damper bumps and flattens/tapers off after low-speed movements...unlike a non-digressive shock, that is linear, that only gets stiffer and stiffer, the higher and higher the speed of the shaft becomes.

If you look at some PVP dynos, comparing a "Street" damper to even a "Race" focused damper....you will notice even the mildest and softest of "Street" coilovers, will have roughly the same amount of high force firmness at the 8in/sec. mark on the graph compared to an even much more "Race" focused damper, which basically means it will be just as "stiff" over high speed bumps, but at least the race damper has the ability to have much more Force lbs on the low speed section (which counts), while the "Street" damper cannot. Now, imagine if the global damper valvings/settings of that "Race" ultra digressive coilover were toned down even less...it will be much smoother over high speed bumps than the "Street" coilover, while still being able to handle(ie: driver input & low speed movement) much better than the "Street" coilover.

Last edited by fooddude; 03-11-2014 at 07:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fooddude For This Useful Post:
glamcem (03-31-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 05:45 PM   #110
fooddude
Banned

I know it's not specifically a "500" series coilover; but I think this picture explains it better and we can pretend that the "Generation 1" as a non(or less) digressive shock and pretend as if it was a "Street" 500 series. You can see the older/Gen1/less-digressive shock is much more stiff at high-speed shafts compared to the newer and more digressive Race damper....all while being able to be firmer where it counts in the low-speed(driver inputs) section.

Now..if you want to take it a step further (since, the Gen 1's red line on the graph is actually a pretty digressive curve still), then erase that red line, and replace it with a totally non-digressive Linear line, a completely Straight line..it would be the same at high-speed harshness and will be even worse and softer at the low-speed section... my point - a digressive shock is a more comfortable shock.

Last edited by fooddude; 03-11-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #111
chiefshayan

Drives: 2013 AT Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I don't know nearly enough about suspension systems, but that was a great read and I think I understood about 90% of it. I've talked to the guys at FA and spoke about a 50/50 DD/Track setup and they steered me towards the 500's.

The 500 series is their golden-child and something they emphasize their advertising on and spend the most time refreshing (the 500's have been refreshed recently (v5) and the 510's haven't been refreshed in quite sometime (v4)). FA said their 500's were for occasional track-use and their 510 is for track use only.
chiefshayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #112
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Curious to read how these will work out for you.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote