follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 05-13-2016, 06:18 AM   #1247
aschnell

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The printed manuals I got were wrong for the ecutek as well. They also had the wrong link on their ft86 mini site, linked to the same old instructions. You have to go to their main site and search for manuals using the edelbrock part # of the kit then those instructions have the correct info. Paper manuals are out of date as soon as they are printed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
aschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #1248
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taiguy View Post
That's just it. I didn't find anything in the box. The instructions mention a flash drive with the file. The only flash drive I found was the DSE key. I managed to get a hold of someone at edelbrock right around closing time and they stated that no BRZs were being read correctly out of the box and I would have to send them a dump file in order to get a custom configuration.

I picked a .BIN file like it shows in the printed instructions but I'm guessing that's not it. What are all these misc .ERP files that got automatically downloaded? Also it wants to download mazda miata files as well?
email calibration at edelbrock dot com with your name, dongle ID, registratino code, model year, and transmission, and you'll get a quick response
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #1249
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
To add to that, many of the aftermarket injectors that the E85 guys are running have short tips and don't reach down far enough into the intake runners. It makes no sense when your fuel is just being injected into the side of a wall and dripping down into the port with those short injectors.

When I inevitably boost mine it will be with the new Bosch 870cc Injectors

They come the correct length with the extended tip like the factory injectors so the fuel is delivered correctly into the port.
Anyone have more comments around injectors for this platform? Most people I see are running DW but this comment made me re-consider. What is the part number for the Bosch injectors? Looking to go to E85 and want to minimize tuning issues. Fuel pump recommendations? I'm looking at the moto-east flex-fuel kit as well.
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #1250
taiguy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
email calibration at edelbrock dot com with your name, dongle ID, registratino code, model year, and transmission, and you'll get a quick response
Yep, they turned it around pretty quick this morning. One flash later, some bumper reassembly, and I'm back on the road.

Haven't even had a chance to take it for a ride due to work getting in the way. Hopefully later tonight I'll be able to go for a joyride.
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taiguy For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 07:09 PM   #1251
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdnz View Post
Anyone have more comments around injectors for this platform? Most people I see are running DW but this comment made me re-consider. What is the part number for the Bosch injectors? Looking to go to E85 and want to minimize tuning issues. Fuel pump recommendations? I'm looking at the moto-east flex-fuel kit as well.
DW injectors are Bosch cores, as are ID.

Just saying...

I haven't seen any spray pattern issues on properly tuned, properly set up cars.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
FRS Justin (05-16-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 01:15 AM   #1252
GT86Asia

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Alright,

A little update on how things are going.

I was at Edelbrock today, for the the facilities tour. A very cool place indeed!
They got so many CNC machines....I've seen some factories, but these guys....like 80% of their machinery is CNC, so pretty darn awesome.

So, I drove up to their office, and walked in, funny thing....as soon as I walked in they seem to know who I was...then they said they saw me on a video, I started laughing, haha.

Anyway, we talked about my setup, and some of the issues we had with the install. Edelbrock said some other customers have had the same issue with these headers, and most of them have simply changed to different headers.

Well, I bought them already, and don't wanna spend more cash on a different set...soo I'm sticking to these headers.

As far as the intake that you all saw on my setup, Edelbrock said their only concern might be that the intake they chose has a much larger filter area, and the main reason for that is not so much for power, but rather to help the supercharger stay cool and keep temps down.

They said as a DD the concern isn't that big, but if I did decide to go track it, things might get a bit warm.

They also said, that to them, it was very essential to have a Catch Can installed, as if any oil gets into the SC and into the intercooler, it would be a nightmare to take apart, and clean it.

So, for ANYONE that is using this kit, they STRONGLY recommend installing a catch can, to have the best reliability possible.

In case u do plan to track your car with this kit regularly, they also advice to get an oil cooler in addition to the catch can. But, a catch can is more essential than an oil cooler.

NExt topic, MPG.

DAMN, mpg is loww lowww lowwww....this is my first experience with E85, and what I can tell you guys is, if you do your best freeways at 60-65, low rev shifts....the best u can hope for using this kit and E85 is like 17 miles to the gallon. Today I did 16.8 on average, added 8 gallons after I drove 133 miles, and on the way back home I added 7.8 gallons after again driving 133 miles. So the same day I had to gas twice. Yeah, pretty messed up....but I guess we are Alcohol-Heads, not petrol-heads anymore.

Today got pretty warm in downtown LA, up to 82 degrees. The car seems to stay cool, but after turning on the A/C, I started getting a pretty pronounced oscillation on the Rev needle when stoping at any street light. On one instance, the car almost stalled, and the rpms were oscillating from 400rpm to 2000rpm, up and down up and down.
As soon as I turned the A/C off, the oscillation was reduced to like 800-1200 and then it stopped and rpms settled in 900.

I'll go and talk to my tuners on Monday and see what they say about it.

Other than that, the car is fast! and really fun to drive!
GT86Asia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GT86Asia For This Useful Post:
clayrush (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 01:19 AM   #1253
GT86Asia

Drives: 2016 BRZ
OH, and almost forgot, I asked Edelbrock about the PSI gauge.

Yes, the port in the back of the SC is for that purpose, to connect to a gauge. They said any straight connection gauge would work, you just need to route the tube through the firewall, as well as the power cord for the gauge. I guess very similar to a turbo gauge.

Cheers!
GT86Asia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GT86Asia For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (05-14-2016), clayrush (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 01:34 AM   #1254
clayrush

Drives: FRS,09 370z, 00 CelicaGT-S, 85 300Z
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86Asia View Post
Alright,

A little update on how things are going.

I was at Edelbrock today, for the the facilities tour. A very cool place indeed!
They got so many CNC machines....I've seen some factories, but these guys....like 80% of their machinery is CNC, so pretty darn awesome.

So, I drove up to their office, and walked in, funny thing....as soon as I walked in they seem to know who I was...then they said they saw me on a video, I started laughing, haha.

Anyway, we talked about my setup, and some of the issues we had with the install. Edelbrock said some other customers have had the same issue with these headers, and most of them have simply changed to different headers.

Well, I bought them already, and don't wanna spend more cash on a different set...soo I'm sticking to these headers.

As far as the intake that you all saw on my setup, Edelbrock said their only concern might be that the intake they chose has a much larger filter area, and the main reason for that is not so much for power, but rather to help the supercharger stay cool and keep temps down.

They said as a DD the concern isn't that big, but if I did decide to go track it, things might get a bit warm.

They also said, that to them, it was very essential to have a Catch Can installed, as if any oil gets into the SC and into the intercooler, it would be a nightmare to take apart, and clean it.

So, for ANYONE that is using this kit, they STRONGLY recommend installing a catch can, to have the best reliability possible.

In case u do plan to track your car with this kit regularly, they also advice to get an oil cooler in addition to the catch can. But, a catch can is more essential than an oil cooler.

NExt topic, MPG.

DAMN, mpg is loww lowww lowwww....this is my first experience with E85, and what I can tell you guys is, if you do your best freeways at 60-65, low rev shifts....the best u can hope for using this kit and E85 is like 17 miles to the gallon. Today I did 16.8 on average, added 8 gallons after I drove 133 miles, and on the way back home I added 7.8 gallons after again driving 133 miles. So the same day I had to gas twice. Yeah, pretty messed up....but I guess we are Alcohol-Heads, not petrol-heads anymore.

Today got pretty warm in downtown LA, up to 82 degrees. The car seems to stay cool, but after turning on the A/C, I started getting a pretty pronounced oscillation on the Rev needle when stoping at any street light. On one instance, the car almost stalled, and the rpms were oscillating from 400rpm to 2000rpm, up and down up and down.
As soon as I turned the A/C off, the oscillation was reduced to like 800-1200 and then it stopped and rpms settled in 900.

I'll go and talk to my tuners on Monday and see what they say about it.

Other than that, the car is fast! and really fun to drive!
Thanks for the update. I have been really debating on a catch can.

I had a pretty bad idle fluctuations on e85 as well. Or the car wanting to die when coming to a stop. Each tune update it has been better. I recived a update tonight that I will test out when I get time to install It.

As for the mpg. I think my girlfriend says she is getting about 18.
But don't feel too bad. My celica gets 14.
clayrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:38 AM   #1255
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86Asia View Post

Very much agree with these two statements. My PCV side catch can was pretty much dry for the 2 mos it was installed daily driving. Checked it after my track day and a couple ounces streamed right out. I can easily see this creating a gunky mess on the intercooler cores. Did not find any residue on the driver side crank case though.

Can't comment of running with out an oil cooler, but my custom oil cooler set-up I've posted earlier ran pretty well at around 210-220F all day. I can only imagine it would've been running hotter without it.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:09 PM   #1256
86KEEBS
DRIFT

Drives: Raven FRS 6mt
Garage
What is everyone running for catch cans? Would there be a big difference between type A B or C? Was looking at the radium... Any one to stay away from?
86KEEBS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86KEEBS For This Useful Post:
clayrush (05-14-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 01:49 AM   #1257
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86KEEBS View Post
What is everyone running for catch cans? Would there be a big difference between type A B or C? Was looking at the radium... Any one to stay away from?
I have a semi-custom Saikou Michi catch can for the PCV side only, nothing for the crank case side. You can custom spec the directions and sizes for the inlet and out let, mounting options and tubing lengths for a very good price.

The radium is a very popular option but a bit over price imho. To me, catch cans are all about the same, so no opinions on what is a "good" one or "to avoid" as long as its hooked up right and has enough baffling.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
86KEEBS (05-16-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 02:32 AM   #1258
JGalp

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayrush View Post

I had a pretty bad idle fluctuations on e85 as well. Or the car wanting to die when coming to a stop. Each tune update it has been better. I recived a update tonight that I will test out when I get time to install It.

Even guys running the CARB tune completely stock and mainly just DD? no track or auto cross just the occasional spirited driving. no headers, aftermarket filters, no e85 no nothing.

I was already considering getting the Jackson Racing Dual radiator/oil cooler but if the catch can is that much more essential??
JGalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:49 AM   #1259
taiguy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayrush View Post

I'm on my first gas tank with the e-force but I'm averaging 16 mpg right now. Previously I was floating around 28 mpg. I knew there'd be a hit but wasn't expecting it to be this drastic.
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:21 AM   #1260
clayrush

Drives: FRS,09 370z, 00 CelicaGT-S, 85 300Z
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalp View Post
Even guys running the CARB tune completely stock and mainly just DD? no track or auto cross just the occasional spirited driving. no headers, aftermarket filters, no e85 no nothing.

I was already considering getting the Jackson Racing Dual radiator/oil cooler but if the catch can is that much more essential??
Part of me feels like the car does not get enough power from the alternater. I cant quite explain it. It's just a feeling I get after the charger went on.
clayrush is offline   Reply With Quote