follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2016, 01:51 AM   #1
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Coilover assistance please

Hey guys,

I upgraded to coilovers and poly bushings a while back. One of my goals with the upgrade was to improve the cars mid corner stability. For me, even stock, the car felt as though it was upset by any sort of bumps intercepted when the suspension was loaded. Bad pavement that was found mid corner seemed particularly offensive. I assumed a lack of rear travel was causing me to slam into the bump stops so I looked sort that out. I ended up with RSR iSports.

After the install, which included corner balancing and performance alignment, I found the problem was actually worse than stock. Now, with the stiffer spring rates, it feels like the car will literally fly off the road if it gets upset by imperfect pavement mid way through a turn. I've had these for over a year now. I've tried all sorts of settings and adjustments and..... I'm finished. I need to upgrade again.

I'm comfortable at the $3000 mark. I'm looking at the Tarmac 2's and the Ohlins R&T's right now. It seems the Tarmacs have more travel of the two, and the better warranty. I do like the single adjustable set up of of the R&T, however.

My car is on 225 MPSS. Winmax W2's and lines. Poly bushings. Adjustable rear lower control arms. And Whiteline roll center kit. It is 95% street driven. I want it to be comfortable and perform well on the street. Most of all, I don't want to feel like I am about to die when I hit a mid corner undulation in the road.

So which would be better and why?

Last edited by wootwoot; 08-11-2016 at 02:32 AM.
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:43 AM   #2
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
How old are the tires, and what is the car primarily used for? Just spirited street driving, any track or autox?

Which coilovers do you currently have, the sports-i or the sports-i club sports?
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #3
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Interested in your responses to wparsons as well.

Another option to consider would be SACHS RS-1 coilovers. They're comparable to the Ohlins R&T, Bilstein B14, and KW V3 (particularly with the new softer spring rates on the Ohlins and KWs), with a primary focus on improved street driving but also plenty of capability for autox and track day use. The rear spring is progressive, which helps with the limited travel these cars tend to have there. You can also always upgrade the springs to something stiffer if desired.

I daily them on crappy Chicagoland roads and they feel great on the road, comfortable with a noticeable improvement in handling and reduction in body roll. They've felt great at autox and a few track days since I put them on. I expect I'll go to some stiffer linear rates in time, but they're more than capable for pretty much anyone who uses their daily for autox and some HPDE.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #4
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Have you tried adjusting the dampers on your current setup? If set to stiff it will make the car skip over uneven surface rather then absorb the rough pavement to keep the car planted.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:00 AM   #5
jimmillion
Power Ranger Elite

Drives: '13 WRB Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So these corners you're attacking. Are they the tight 90° right hand corners at intersections or are they more the large sweeping corners? Since knowing what you're up against will help us in knowing how far we should go in suggestions.

Also what speeds are you taking these at, since it all plays into what can and can't be dialled away for uneven city streets.

Oh and how low are you running?

jimmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmillion For This Useful Post:
swarb (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
wootwoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
How old are the tires, and what is the car primarily used for? Just spirited street driving, any track or autox?

Which coilovers do you currently have, the sports-i or the sports-i club sports?
Tires are basically brand new. I'm on the moto spec sports-i, not the club sports. A lot of spirited driving with an occasional track day or driving school school.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #7
wootwoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
Interested in your responses to wparsons as well.

Another option to consider would be SACHS RS-1 coilovers. They're comparable to the Ohlins R&T, Bilstein B14, and KW V3 (particularly with the new softer spring rates on the Ohlins and KWs), with a primary focus on improved street driving but also plenty of capability for autox and track day use. The rear spring is progressive, which helps with the limited travel these cars tend to have there. You can also always upgrade the springs to something stiffer if desired.

I daily them on crappy Chicagoland roads and they feel great on the road, comfortable with a noticeable improvement in handling and reduction in body roll. They've felt great at autox and a few track days since I put them on. I expect I'll go to some stiffer linear rates in time, but they're more than capable for pretty much anyone who uses their daily for autox and some HPDE.
I'll look in to Sachs. At this point I'm looking for something objective to push me in one direction or another. I am glad you are happy with your choice, however. It seems like a good fit for the both of us. The progressive rear spring is something I hadn't considered.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #8
wootwoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Have you tried adjusting the dampers on your current setup? If set to stiff it will make the car skip over uneven surface rather then absorb the rough pavement to keep the car planted.
As per my OP, I've been adjusting them for a year with no success.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:23 AM   #9
wootwoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmillion View Post
So these corners you're attacking. Are they the tight 90° right hand corners at intersections or are they more the large sweeping corners? Since knowing what you're up against will help us in knowing how far we should go in suggestions.

Also what speeds are you taking these at, since it all plays into what can and can't be dialled away for uneven city streets.

Oh and how low are you running?
We are not talking about 90 degree intersections. I live near the Pacific Ocean and drive on very crooked roads all day long. It's basically a race track in all directions.... Speeds vary from 30mph hair pins to 70mph sweepers. The car seems to have more trouble with mid corner bumps the faster I'm going, if that helps.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #10
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Armchair quarterbacking I'd pick the Ohlins due to the softer spring rates and their reputation for building dampers that ride like butter. What they're known for is a blowoff valve that allows the dampers to stop building damping forces as they speed up, basically they 'soften' during fast harsh inputs. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for to me.

First thing that came up on google describing what I understand Ohlins R&T to be designed for:
http://urgedesigns.com/?page_id=340

Searching 'Ohlins DFV' should yield more info.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #11
wootwoot

My only concern with Ohlins is that they are short on rear travel when compared to the Tarmac's. That, plus the softer rates, worries me a bit. That's the only reason I haven't bought them already. I am sure the dampers at awesome.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:01 PM   #12
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
Hey guys,

I upgraded to coilovers and poly bushings a while back. One of my goals with the upgrade was to improve the cars mid corner stability. For me, even stock, the car felt as though it was upset by any sort of bumps intercepted when the suspension was loaded. Bad pavement that was found mid corner seemed particularly offensive. I assumed a lack of rear travel was causing me to slam into the bump stops so I looked sort that out. I ended up with RSR iSports.

After the install, which included corner balancing and performance alignment, I found the problem was actually worse than stock. Now, with the stiffer spring rates, it feels like the car will literally fly off the road if it gets upset by imperfect pavement mid way through a turn. I've had these for over a year now. I've tried all sorts of settings and adjustments and..... I'm finished. I need to upgrade again.

I'm comfortable at the $3000 mark. I'm looking at the Tarmac 2's and the Ohlins R&T's right now. It seems the Tarmacs have more travel of the two, and the better warranty. I do like the single adjustable set up of of the R&T, however.

My car is on 225 MPSS. Winmax W2's and lines. Poly bushings. Adjustable rear lower control arms. And Whiteline roll center kit. It is 95% street driven. I want it to be comfortable and perform well on the street. Most of all, I don't want to feel like I am about to die when I hit a mid corner undulation in the road.

So which would be better and why?
Combine selling your RS*R with that $3000, and get some JRZs.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (08-11-2016), swarb (08-12-2016), wparsons (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 12:20 PM   #13
wootwoot

The small blonde girl that lives with me would kill me in my sleep.

Also, I can t imagine those rsr's are worth much.

That said, I assume we are talking the rs1's? Can you PM me the magic number on those? And please..... Be gentle.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #14
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Have you had someone else drive your car experience the same thing?

I hate to say 'driver error' but I didn't experience the same problem you did when mine was stock, and after Swift springs, LCA's, and a good alignment, it only got better.

Have you tried an alignment from a different shop, or maybe a local performance shop making a few adjustments?

What are your alignment settings? I'm mostly interested in toe
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote