follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-26-2016, 02:59 AM   #29
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
If your dealer told you that someone tried to flash your car with a COBB tune, you have to believe him. He knows something more than us. I would expect that someone in the tint shop did this and now they're trying to hide the truth. Obviously, they wanted to flash the car and go for a ride and have some fun going sideways. They were stupid because COBB creates tunes only for FI engines and there is no tune for our cars. They saw that it is a Subaru, but they didn't think it is not an STI! So they flashed your car with an incorrect tune. The easiest solution would be to find the guy with this COBB accessory and re-flash the original factory tune. Your factory tune is stored there. This will cost you nothing. Otherwise, good luck installing a new ECU unit from the factory? By the way, I am not sure how you could see this in the surveillance video. You alter the tune when you are inside the car. There is a port under the steering wheel. You don't need to open the engine or do anything else.

You have no clue what your saying, most of the techs are clueless, they simply diagnose an issue like a mechanic then look at a factory service manual to confirm. Sometimes they can't even do that because they know it will cost that franchised shop a bit too much and SOA won't pay. Also a cobb accessport literally won't flash a a file over to our ecus it won't get past the first tests to write it over. 0 values are being read most likely due to a damage wiring harness and the dealer has a preconceived notion about the BR-Z and the WRX STi immediately blaming it on a modification
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Atropine (06-27-2016), brandonblt2 (06-27-2016), Jordan Silveira (06-26-2016), SK86 (06-27-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 03:16 AM   #30
Jordan Silveira

Drives: 2016 Subaru Series.HyperBlue #631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
You have no clue what your saying, most of the techs are clueless, they simply diagnose an issue like a mechanic then look at a factory service manual to confirm. Sometimes they can't even do that because they know it will cost that franchised shop a bit too much and SOA won't pay. Also a cobb accessport literally won't flash a a file over to our ecus it won't get past the first tests to write it over. 0 values are being read most likely due to a damage wiring harness and the dealer has a preconceived notion about the BR-Z and the WRX STi immediately blaming it on a modification
Thank you so much! I will definitely see if maybe I can redirect there immediate thoughts of a tune/flash to the engine wiring harness. If you don't mind me asking, you seem to know more than I would about why it would be producing "0's" and such. Is it possible to have a "2015 BRZ profile or tune" or whatever the service manager is claiming? Also what about the fact he's claiming I have calibration ID's and such that don't match?
Old 06-26-2016, 03:20 AM   #31
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You don't have a Subaru problem, you have dealership problems. Take it back to the dealer that sold the car and get a real inspection done. I'd bet money you have a damaged ECU or something affiliated with it. If the Glendale dealer gives you the same runaround, I'd get SOA involved immediately if you haven't already.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:03 AM   #32
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
For sure there are bad and good technicians, but don't you think they have ways to find out if a car was flashed? They also mentioned that the calibration IDs are different. Check the comment below. I am not sure if a COBB flash can pass the first tests or not. Have you ever tried?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Silveira View Post
Thank you so much! I will definitely see if maybe I can redirect there immediate thoughts of a tune/flash to the engine wiring harness. If you don't mind me asking, you seem to know more than I would about why it would be producing "0's" and such. Is it possible to have a "2015 BRZ profile or tune" or whatever the service manager is claiming? Also what about the fact he's claiming I have calibration ID's and such that don't match?
This is the main reason I believe this is what happened. How the dealer knew that the flash was made using a COBB unit and not something else? If he cannot provide a proof of this, then check if your ECU has an issue.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:47 AM   #33
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
If your dealer told you that someone tried to flash your car with a COBB tune, you have to believe him. He knows something more than us. I would expect that someone in the tint shop did this and now they're trying to hide the truth. Obviously, they wanted to flash the car and go for a ride and have some fun going sideways. They were stupid because COBB creates tunes only for FI engines and there is no tune for our cars. They saw that it is a Subaru, but they didn't think it is not an STI! So they flashed your car with an incorrect tune. The easiest solution would be to find the guy with this COBB accessory and re-flash the original factory tune. Your factory tune is stored there. This will cost you nothing. Otherwise, good luck installing a new ECU unit from the factory? By the way, I am not sure how you could see this in the surveillance video. You alter the tune when you are inside the car. There is a port under the steering wheel. You don't need to open the engine or do anything else.

If the dealer said a brz or 86 has a cobb tune its BS, cobb dont tune brz/86. The 86/brz ecu is different to wrx or wrx sti. the processor is different
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 05:08 AM   #34
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:

If the dealer can read the ecu calid and the CVN then the ecu is working.

The zero values the dealer is talking about is likely whats shown below , shoen is toyota techstream diagnistics. all the se counters get reset on flat battery , battery disconnection, or if ecu us reset of reflashed.

This is normal and does not effect operation.

subaru SSM diagnostic toll shows similar counters/timers in ecu.

steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 07:13 AM   #35
Spec C Wannabe

Drives: 2017 WRB M/T BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Your car couldn't start after the tint work.

If you tinted the windshield, was it possible that the tint shop did short-circuit your ECU? Because the ECU is located below the dash near the firewall, the water/solution used during the tint process might drip down pass the gap between the windshield and the top of the dashboard and reach the ECU/harness. Just a thought.
Spec C Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spec C Wannabe For This Useful Post:
Braces (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 10:44 AM   #36
nikitopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
If the dealer said a brz or 86 has a cobb tune its BS, cobb dont tune brz/86. The 86/brz ecu is different to wrx or wrx sti. the processor is different
In any case I wouldn't like to be in such a situation. I hope this guy to find a solution quickly ...
Old 06-26-2016, 10:45 AM   #37
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec C Wannabe View Post
Your car couldn't start after the tint work.

If you tinted the windshield, was it possible that the tint shop did short-circuit your ECU? Because the ECU is located below the dash near the firewall, the water/solution used during the tint process might drip down pass the gap between the windshield and the top of the dashboard and reach the ECU/harness. Just a thought.
Agreed. That's a more plausible explanation. Laughing at the idea that the tint guys just decided to install an improper tune on your car to do burn outs while you waited in the reception area.
Summerwolf (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #38
nikitopo

I never heard tinting the front windshield. Is it legal in U.S.?
Old 06-26-2016, 11:01 AM   #39
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Are you 100% sure the battery is ok? Does the key on the dash turn green when you get in the car and press the brake?
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:48 AM   #40
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
@steve99 can answer better than I can but this should explain it and should call him to the thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62332

Your ecus cal id should be something like ZA1JF something something something

If it were a 2015 calibration id it'd have something like ZA1JD something something something or the like, theres no real way to prove this without someone having an OFT or tactrix cable or a techstream laptop and cable to confirm what the dealer is saying.

I've used tech stream before values of zero only really appear when theres a power interruption or reflash, I think the tint shop pulled the battery just in case or alternatively the wiring harness is loose or came loose. If the dealership read the cal they have a stable canbus connection.

Edit: Looks like steve99 already answered
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 06-26-2016, 11:57 AM   #41
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
For sure there are bad and good technicians, but don't you think they have ways to find out if a car was flashed? They also mentioned that the calibration IDs are different. Check the comment below. I am not sure if a COBB flash can pass the first tests or not. Have you ever tried?

For sure there are bad and good technicians, but don't you think they have ways to find out if a car was flashed?

They don't have a way unless they truly owned one that was tuned for quite some time then you could tell a difference in sound or idle.

If it's a rom it's essentially hidden from view also our cars have no flash counter, and it's essentially at it's core just an edited stock tune file. To find it the ecu would have be sent to japan or the like to have a serious investigation and tear down of the code done. Techstream or the Subaru equivalent can't even begin to look into it.

If its an ecutek tune, the ecu is locked, and they wouldn't have been able to read jack shit including those 0 values or cal id.

I am not sure if a COBB flash can pass the first tests or not. Have you ever tried?

You're not being very helpful in this thread, you may be out of your depth. If you even have a semblance of tuning knowledge you'd know a cobb accessport can't interface in any way with our ecus, it can only communicate currently with the WRX, WRX sti, GT-R, Volkwagen ECUs and ford ecoboost ecus and the like. It would simply show a vehicle not supported. Also COBB is literally only focusing on forced induction vehicles they have nothing and will have nothing for the FR-S
Old 06-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #42
Side

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
I never heard tinting the front windshield. Is it legal in U.S.?
I had my front windshield UV tinted. It's a clear tint purely for heat reduction. Not sure about OP though.
Side is offline   Reply With Quote