follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2012, 03:28 AM   #15
Palmy

Drives: '12 86 GTS (AUDM)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardi330 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paros28 View Post
And contrary to popular belief, Australia is not far behind.
What makes you say that?
The majority of Australian economists seem to think that Australias economy can keep on keeping on indefinately.
Personally I dont agree, but I'd like to hear your reasons?
Palmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:42 AM   #16
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmy View Post
What makes you say that?
The majority of Australian economists seem to think that Australias economy can keep on keeping on indefinately.
Personally I dont agree, but I'd like to hear your reasons?
my work deals with a lot of business in different industries and banks.

in reality, only the mining companies are doing well but when overseas demand slows down, good luck to our economy.
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:04 AM   #17
JFC

Drives: 2015 86, 2015 Evo X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardi330 View Post
my work deals with a lot of business in different industries and banks.

in reality, only the mining companies are doing well but when overseas demand slows down, good luck to our economy.
Nardi is right, without our resource mining and export we wouldnt be shit.

Although we have enough coal too see our grandkids out doesnt mean the world will need/want it in 40yrs time.

Although going by the rate of Chinese companies buying our coal rich land we are safe for alittle while yet.

The rest of our exports and world offerings just isnt enough too carry the economy the way it is.

We can thank China's steel boom for our good fortunes pre GFC.

We dont have a heap to do with the Euro which is also part of the reason we didnt sink like others, + we dont/havent contributed a tonne like the USA to the war on terrorism which = less spending and/or borrowing.

Thats my rant and its beer o'clock so get too it :happy0180:
JFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #18
BigM

Drives: B4
While it's true we are in the biggest terms of trade boom since the 50's even if it did unwind the effect wouldn't be catastrophic. Mining doesn't employ nearly as large a % of the workforce as people think (and they like to promote) and you guys are forgetting that if commodities cool (the real reason for our wealth, not proximity or otherwise to Europe) the dollar will plummet, instantly restoring the profitability of manufacturing, tourism and other sectors.

Besides there is a colossal pipeline of mining infrastructure investment already lined up and it will go ahead no matter what over the next decade, that's where the money really flows back into the economy.

Australia is in pretty top shape, the only people who don't like to say so are the opposition who want you to believe it's all going to hell in a hand basket unless they get elected soon...

It is a shame we didn't get proper a MRRT though, that would have been an excellent natural mechanism for helping ease the transition in the economy, but better to rile people up about a 'great big new tax' than do something sensible for the economy... Makes you wonder if any of the reforms of the 80's would get done today, my guess is no.
BigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #19
Wally Simmonds

Drives: NA
I've just come from NZ and it's certainly a lot bloody better shape than over there, let me tell you!
Wally Simmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #20
paros28

Drives: 2007 Toy Corolla, 2012 Subaru BRZ
That's why I said "contrary to popular belief". There is apparent prosperity. However, the federal government, the states, and people are in deep debt. And since Australians do not save enough, the country continues to borrow from foreign sources to keep up the spending habits. Sounds familiar? Europe and the US went down the same path. Except, China still going strong and we can always ship dirt to China. And this can't go on indefintely as mineral resources are non-renewable.

When foreign auto manufacturer look at Australia, they see a relatively high income market and they price accordingly. However, if you look closer you will see that a lot of households are mortgaged to the hilt and many young people are only getting by after paying rent and utilities. And the housing situation is getting worse and worse with a misguided government policy of economic growth by population growth.

It puzzles me how auto manufacuturers over-price their cars in Australia relative to the rest of the world and then declare that there is no or little demand for such cars in Australia. i.e. There is little demand for sports cars in Australia. Mmm... perhaps some fairness in pricing would solve that problem.
paros28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #21
lazyluka

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I don't know about importing to Australia, never bothered to look into it.

If it's so damn good in NZ why do you think we have so many people moving across the ditch? Hmm, maybe were getting rid of all the useless people and making Australia worse while making NZ better. :p

I wouldn't actually recommend this site (there's cheaper options) but it does have the import rules listed:
http://www.japaneseusedcars.com/japa...port_rules.htm

LOLz at all the rules in Australia.

I guess that explains how my mate imported his car from NZ. He owned it here for 12 months then took it with him when he moved. Smart.

BTW. I understand Australia's import laws and high prices. They are in place to protect local car companies (ie Holden and Ford). NZ doesn't manufacture car's so we have to import anyway. That's why any Jap made car has an extra tax for Australia, not sure why NZ price is so high though.
lazyluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:19 AM   #22
Wally Simmonds

Drives: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyluka View Post
I don't know about importing to Australia, never bothered to look into it.

If it's so damn good in NZ why do you think we have so many people moving across the ditch? Hmm, maybe were getting rid of all the useless people and making Australia worse while making NZ better. :p

I wouldn't actually recommend this site (there's cheaper options) but it does have the import rules listed:

LOLz at all the rules in Australia.

I guess that explains how my mate imported his car from NZ. He owned it here for 12 months then took it with him when he moved. Smart.

BTW. I understand Australia's import laws and high prices. They are in place to protect local car companies (ie Holden and Ford). NZ doesn't manufacture car's so we have to import anyway. That's why any Jap made car has an extra tax for Australia, not sure why NZ price is so high though.
To justify bringing it in at all. Most sensible people will just wait a year and you'll be able to pick it up for about 35-40k NZ landed. Why bother buying NZ new when you can just buy one off the net?

It's probably the shittiest thing about AU - the prices on cars. It'd be nice if either the 'local' companies made something I wanted, but alas, that's not to be.
Wally Simmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:45 AM   #23
BigM

Drives: B4
Quote:
Originally Posted by paros28 View Post
That's why I said "contrary to popular belief". There is apparent prosperity. However, the federal government, the states, and people are in deep debt. And since Australians do not save enough, the country continues to borrow from foreign sources to keep up the spending habits. Sounds familiar? Europe and the US went down the same path. Except, China still going strong and we can always ship dirt to China. And this can't go on indefintely as mineral resources are non-renewable.

When foreign auto manufacturer look at Australia, they see a relatively high income market and they price accordingly. However, if you look closer you will see that a lot of households are mortgaged to the hilt and many young people are only getting by after paying rent and utilities. And the housing situation is getting worse and worse with a misguided government policy of economic growth by population growth.

It puzzles me how auto manufacuturers over-price their cars in Australia relative to the rest of the world and then declare that there is no or little demand for such cars in Australia. i.e. There is little demand for sports cars in Australia. Mmm... perhaps some fairness in pricing would solve that problem.
Actually, federal debt is minuscule and the personal savings rate is through the roof, that's why sectors like retail are performing badly, there's no credit growth, not 'too much'. People are deleveraging. We are nothing like the US or EU in terms of sovereign debt but do arguably have an over valued property market.

The best explanation for our rip off market I've heard is the simplest; as the tariffs were wound down the manufacturers kept the prices around the same levels, increasing their profits...
BigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #24
MarksmanR

Drives: 1992 Mitsubishi Magna
I wish Holden or Ford would make some sort of sports coupe for Australia. Holden could remake the Monaro, sell the Camaro here or make something completely new. This would really interest me and I would seriously consider buying, especially as it helps the local industry.
MarksmanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #25
pr0j

Drives: 2010 Forester X
I would have looked at the Cruze if it was rwd :/ Surely they could do something cool with that chassis.

*EDIT* actually no. no I wouldn't lol
pr0j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #26
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Calibra was a good car, monaro was a little heavy for me (not into v8's)
I heard that they will be discontinuing the comodore soon as well lol
Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #27
Ballsak2nv

Drives: Aurion
Monaro was a 2dr commodore nothing more and now their thinking of releasing the Torana again

So is anyone on here in this 12 for the NZ BRZ.
Ballsak2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #28
Varvs

Drives: '97 180SX Type X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Simmonds View Post
To justify bringing it in at all. Most sensible people will just wait a year and you'll be able to pick it up for about 35-40k NZ landed. Why bother buying NZ new when you can just buy one off the net?

It's probably the shittiest thing about AU - the prices on cars. It'd be nice if either the 'local' companies made something I wanted, but alas, that's not to be.
yeah, the housing market, poor infrastructure in major cities, rampant alcoholism and being incredibly racist as a nation all take a back seat to the one true evil of paying too much for cars.
Varvs is offline   Reply With Quote