follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #29
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life

Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Thanked 5,291 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The sound thingy adds 3db inside the cab. No thanks. I removed first week. I came from an S2000 with a pretty engine bay. I thought so anyway.
I disliked the way the tubes looked on the boxer, so removed the one I could... The engine bay is growing on me though...:happy0180:
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #30
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It is lame. Poseur. Do you wear a Codpiece perchance? Same deal.

Harks back to sticking baseball cards in the spokes of your bike when you were a kid.
Should also note that the noise is annoying.

Other than that, I like it just fine.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #31
pixel67

Drives: 13 Asphalt FRS AT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHOME View Post

Harks back to sticking baseball cards in the spokes of your bike when you were a kid.
Good analogy, except with modern technology There is probably an "App for that". Uses GPS to track your speed and varies the sound through your iPod headphones accordingly.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #32
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel67 View Post
Good analogy, except with modern technology There is probably an "App for that". Uses GPS to track your speed and varies the sound through your iPod headphones accordingly.
OMG I feel so OLD!
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #33
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
But i pose a question to you sir, do you like loud exhausts? Do you like to hear your engine when driving hard?
I don't like really *loud* exhausts on street cars. Particularly 4-bangers that are slooow. The FR-S/BRZ are slooow, and the idea of a "sound tube" designed to make them sound fast is to me perfectly absurd. But at least it is confined to the inside of the car.
I like to hear what the engine is doing, but it doesn't have to be loud.

FWIW, my 240Z was pretty loud, but it made 255rwhp and was primarily a track car. Single 3" exhaust, Walker DynoMax muffler. 3x2 45mm carbs = lotta intake noise as well. Pretty glorious sound I must admit. But it was in the name of performance.

The V8 RX-7 is somewhat rumbly/grumbly around town, but really roars at WOT roaring up to 7000+ rpm. For ~525-540hp, it isn't that loud for normal usage. Headers into 2 x 3" into twin cats and single 3" aft of the Y into a Racing Beat muffler. Intake breathes from in front of the radiator, so not so much intake honk.

Both of those cars are louder than normal in the interests of making power. They sound great, but my intention wasn't making noise, it was maximizing power (or minimizing losses).

S2000 has stock exhaust, many aftermarket headers/exhausts for that car make a ton of noise while making less power! I *hate* how ear-piercing so many aftermarket exhausts are on that car.

Anyway, sound tube on the FR-S/BRZ adds zero power, adds weight and cost, takes up space. Stupid gimmick. IMO...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #34
pr086

Drives: fast
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
I don't like really *loud* exhausts on street cars. Particularly 4-bangers that are slooow. The FR-S/BRZ are slooow, and the idea of a "sound tube" designed to make them sound fast is to me perfectly absurd. But at least it is confined to the inside of the car.
I like to hear what the engine is doing, but it doesn't have to be loud.

FWIW, my 240Z was pretty loud, but it made 255rwhp and was primarily a track car. Single 3" exhaust, Walker DynoMax muffler. 3x2 45mm carbs = lotta intake noise as well. Pretty glorious sound I must admit. But it was in the name of performance.

The V8 RX-7 is somewhat rumbly/grumbly around town, but really roars at WOT roaring up to 7000+ rpm. For ~525-540hp, it isn't that loud for normal usage. Headers into 2 x 3" into twin cats and single 3" aft of the Y into a Racing Beat muffler. Intake breathes from in front of the radiator, so not so much intake honk.

Both of those cars are louder than normal in the interests of making power. They sound great, but my intention wasn't making noise, it was maximizing power (or minimizing losses).

S2000 has stock exhaust, many aftermarket headers/exhausts for that car make a ton of noise while making less power! I *hate* how ear-piercing so many aftermarket exhausts are on that car.

Anyway, sound tube on the FR-S/BRZ adds zero power, adds weight and cost, takes up space. Stupid gimmick. IMO...

but do you enjoy the sound? i do.
pr086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #35
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The weird thing is not knowing what the car sounds like outside the car. It might be loud as hell inside, but whisper quiet outside, for all I know. Without a tube, at least I would now that it is loud outside.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #36
ThePoet

Drives: Scion FR-S
Personally, I like it. And I don't feel as if it's cheating, because the sound isn't fake, it's just being amplified through a tube so that you can hear it. However, I plan on purchasing the TRD exhaust in the next few months, and at that point, I don't know how much extra sound the tube will really be producing.
ThePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #37
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I like it. I like to keep my car 100% stock, so I wish it was even LOUDER since I won't be getting an aftermarket exhaust.

I prefer to hear the engine over the road/wind noise anyway.. not that there's alot of road/wind noise IMO, but anything to get the engine revs to be louder than other outside noise is good with me.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #38
ahquit

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
I have no problem with it, it's not like it's getting in the way when you have to do an oil change or anything.

And how much could it really weigh? If you're after weight savings you're probably better off just putting down that big Mac instead!
ahquit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #39
Shimmyshake

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Rice rice baby

Red Tube TRD

Green Tube TRD

Blue Tube TRD
Shimmyshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:38 AM   #40
ThePoet

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmyshake View Post
Rice rice baby

Red Tube TRD

Green Tube TRD

Blue Tube TRD
Funny enough, I had been thinking about picking a set of those up
ThePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #41
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmyshake View Post
Red Tube TRD
Red Tube = PERFECT!
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #42
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
I've made my peace with it. If it makes the engine sound better from the inside and isn't completely artificial (fake engine soundtrack), then I'm ok with it. Once I upgrade the intake and exhaust, I'll re-assess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
The weird thing is not knowing what the car sounds like outside the car. It might be loud as hell inside, but whisper quiet outside, for all I know. Without a tube, at least I would now that it is loud outside.
Yeah I wonder about that too. The car sounds quiet but sporty from the inside -- what does it sound like outside? Just quiet? Given the attention this car gets from cops already, maybe quiet on the outside isn't horrible.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote