follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #1
86Hiro

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is this engine or tranny issues?

I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this before, maybe its a normal thing for these Boxer drivetrains to do. About 80% of the time when I am driving at a constant speed (typically I use cruise control on distance drives), when I need to slow down to a stop sign or for traffic, I engage the clutch, the RPMs go to idle once in neutral, then hear a light chattering noise happen. I'm not sure if its coming from the transmission or engine. Has anyone experienced that chattering noise when engaging the clutch. I could also be explaining it differently, or not using the correct words.
86Hiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
fika84

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
The chattering is a normal thing when the engine goes below a certain RPM. I hear it when the AC comes on, or if the idle just dips. Been happening for the life of the car! I think it's tranny noise since it will go away immediately when you depress the clutch pedal..

Last edited by fika84; 09-23-2015 at 12:17 PM.
fika84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
When I first started driving this car I noticed an odd metallic "chattering" that I don't recall hearing on other MT cars.
When my son drove it, he made the sound in a different way.

Turns out it was the Torsen Diff, and different driving styles makes the sound more/less pronounced.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #4
fika84

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
When I first started driving this car I noticed an odd metallic "chattering" that I don't recall hearing on other MT cars.
When my son drove it, he made the sound in a different way.

Turns out it was the Torsen Diff, and different driving styles makes the sound more/less pronounced.
What about the chattering when you're stopped at a light and the idle dips?
fika84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #5
86Hiro

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Oh ok cool. Glad to know that you all knew at least what I was referring to haha
86Hiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:05 PM   #6
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Hiro View Post
I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this before, maybe its a normal thing for these Boxer drivetrains to do. About 80% of the time when I am driving at a constant speed (typically I use cruise control on distance drives), when I need to slow down to a stop sign or for traffic, I engage the clutch, the RPMs go to idle once in neutral, then hear a light chattering noise happen. I'm not sure if its coming from the transmission or engine. Has anyone experienced that chattering noise when engaging the clutch. I could also be explaining it differently, or not using the correct words.
I get a chatter when I am slowing down (off the gas) between like 2500-750 rpm. It might be the same sound you are getting. To me it sounds like rocker noise, done it since day one never had an issue. Might I add mine is an automatic.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
Densefire

Drives: 2014 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The chatter is normal below 600rpm but I was able to eliminate it. Check out TSB "S-SB-0040-13 : Intermittent RPM Drop" on this thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21868

You'll need to go to Toyota for a reflash
Densefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #8
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
The chattering means that the cmashaft is loose and your pistons are slapping against everything! This is NOT NORMAL! RUN! RUN AWAY FROM THE SUBARU ENGINE!

Now that I've had my fun.. It's a totally normal thing. It'll bug you, but I've noticed it in every subaru I've owned. All the little mechanical noises coming from our cars are amplified due to the fact we don't have any sound deadening.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #9
7c8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
The chattering means that the cmashaft is loose and your pistons are slapping against everything! This is NOT NORMAL! RUN! RUN AWAY FROM THE SUBARU ENGINE!

Now that I've had my fun.. It's a totally normal thing. It'll bug you, but I've noticed it in every subaru I've owned. All the little mechanical noises coming from our cars are amplified due to the fact we don't have any sound deadening.
Thanks for the momentary heart attack.
7c8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #10
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7c8 View Post
Thanks for the momentary heart attack.
Eh. Typical subaru engines.. what can I say? lol but this is the FA over the EJ. Hated the EJ and I've heard the FA should be much more rewarding. Thats also another reason why I have my fr-s.. Sold my wrx for it because of the EJ series engine... Well.. That, and my ej warped it's head at 116k miles and needed a total rebuild.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote