follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-15-2019, 02:50 AM   #1
tintumz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Toyota 86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help! Re:clutch install!

Hello. So i did my own clutch install. After all is done. Car turned over and it runs. Tested while car in jack. Transmission is all working and going in all gear when car is off and even when engine is running while clutch is in but the problem is that in neutral wheels are running 1-2mph and when I put it in first gear the car stumbles when I take off clutch and sounds terrible. I had trouble putting the transmission but eventually in my last try and aligning it, it went in smoothly. Did all proper steps with torque specs and alignment. What could it be? Did not change flywheel but the flywheel moved a little bit when I removed the pressure plate. Could that be a culprit?

FYI: Just to think about it I did do my clutch pedal adjustment before all this and that was from the old clutch. Should I raise it back? I did read from the manual that during break in there is a part of the break in period regarding adjusting clutch grab in between certain miles. Clutch is Exedy OEM replacment. Just clutch and pressure plate.

Thank you and will appreciate the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by tintumz22; 12-15-2019 at 04:57 AM.
tintumz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #2
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
When on jacks, engine running, in neutral and clutch engaged it is normal for the wheels to move, there is drag within the transmission.

I don't follow your words totally - when you have the clutch pedal pressed in and you engage first gear you get a bad sound? That sounds like your clutch isn't fully disengaged and you need to raise your pedal.

What you you mean the flywheel moved a little? It rotated? That is fine. If you mean you had side to side motion on the flywheel that is very much not ok.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
tintumz22

Help! Re:clutch install!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
When on jacks, engine running, in neutral and clutch engaged it is normal for the wheels to move, there is drag within the transmission.

I don't follow your words totally - when you have the clutch pedal pressed in and you engage first gear you get a bad sound? That sounds like your clutch isn't fully disengaged and you need to raise your pedal.

What you you mean the flywheel moved a little? It rotated? That is fine. If you mean you had side to side motion on the flywheel that is very much not ok.

I apologize. It was very late in the evening when I got done and was tired.

Yes i get a bad sound, like grinding sound. So i had to pressed the clutch pedal back in. That is my suspect too after remembering I did my clutch pedal mod.

When I was removing the bolts from the pressure plate it did rotated a little bit but rotated it back to where I marked it. It was solid and not moving side to side.

Last edited by tintumz22; 12-15-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #4
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintumz22 View Post
Hello. So i did my own clutch install. After all is done. Car turned over and it runs. Tested while car in jack. Transmission is all working and going in all gear when car is off and even when engine is running while clutch is in but the problem is that in neutral wheels are running 1-2mph and when I put it in first gear the car stumbles when I take off clutch and sounds terrible. I had trouble putting the transmission but eventually in my last try and aligning it, it went in smoothly. Did all proper steps with torque specs and alignment. What could it be? Did not change flywheel but the flywheel moved a little bit when I removed the pressure plate. Could that be a culprit?

FYI: Just to think about it I did do my clutch pedal adjustment before all this and that was from the old clutch. Should I raise it back? I did read from the manual that during break in there is a part of the break in period regarding adjusting clutch grab in between certain miles. Clutch is Exedy OEM replacment. Just clutch and pressure plate.

Thank you and will appreciate the help.

Quote:
I apologize. It was very late in the evening when I got done and was tired.

Yes i get a bad sound, like grinding sound. So i have to pressed the clutch pedal back in. That is my suspect to after remembering I did my clutch pedal mod.

When I was removing the bolts from the flywheel it did rotated a little bit but rotated it back to where I marked it. It was solid and not moving side to side.

I'm confused by these statements. You removed the flywheel, but you didn't replace it with an aftermarket flywheel; is that what you are saying? Did you resurface the flywheel at least? And how could the flywheel move when removing the pressure plate? Do you mean rotate because that is fine?

If your clutch pedal was partially depressing the clutch then you wouldn't hear grinding sounds. If that was the case then we would all hear grinding sounds when we depressed the clutch. At worse, you would fee as if the car's clutch was slipping or unable to grab.

Metal on metal grinding sounds are not good. I don't know if the crank position sensor plate behind the flywheel got moved or put on backwards. I don't know if you didn't use the alignment tool correctly. I don't know if you failed to use proper lubricant on the TOB, but I would suggest removing everything and looking.
tintumz22 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #5
toast

He removed the pressure plate bolts, which are in the flywheel.

The flywheel rotating a bit is just the engine rotating a bit, not a problem.

I don't think your pedal is partially pressing the clutch in, I think you have the pedal adjusted too low and when you think the clutch is totally disengaged because the pedal is on the floor it is still dragging. Raise the height of the pedal several turns of the rod.
The Following User Says Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
tintumz22 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
toast

After rereading your last post I think maybe I still didn't get what you were saying.

1: Clutch in
2: Push gear lever into first
3: Clutch out and drive away

During which number are you getting the crunching sound?
tintumz22 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
tintumz22

Quote:
After rereading your last post I think maybe I still didn't get what you were saying.

1: Clutch in
2: Push gear lever into first
3: Clutch out and drive away

During which number are you getting the crunching sound?

Number 3.
Good news!!
Problem solved! It is the pedal being too low. I raised it just few moments ago and no grinding sound now. Car is still in stands. I will test drive later to see how is it on the road. I check back and will update.

The Following User Says Thank You to tintumz22 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #8
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Number 3.
Good news!!
Problem solved! It is the pedal being too low. I raised it just few moments ago and no grinding sound now. Car is still in stands. I will test drive later to see how is it on the road. I check back and will update.

What you are calling grinding is probably just the two surfaces sliding across each other because they are barely touching/slipping. The sound of a clutch slipping across each other is much different (like sand paper) than a metal on metal sound, which is more what I associate with grinding.
tintumz22 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 01:33 PM   #9
tintumz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
What you are calling grinding is probably just the two surfaces sliding across each other because they are barely touching/slipping. The sound of a clutch slipping across each other is much different (like sand paper) than a metal on metal sound, which is more what I associate with grinding.
Most likely you are right. It was one time that I did it and I got scared so I pressed in the clutch pedal right away and turned the car off. Refilled the trans fluid and made sure it is level, test drove the car for the first time last night and drove the car to work this morning. Everything is smooth and no more scattered marbles sound from the old TOB! Changed shift springs and fluid for both diff and transmission too. My 2014 car feels like a new car again! Thank you for y'all replies!
The Following User Says Thank You to tintumz22 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 01:40 PM   #10
toast

My guess is that one time you didn't have the clutch fully disengaged (because of the pedal adjustment) so it didn't fully slip into gear and when you let the clutch out you had gear mesh noise.

Glad it worked out and was something simple.
tintumz22 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #11
tintumz22

Quote:
My guess is that one time you didn't have the clutch fully disengaged (because of the pedal adjustment) so it didn't fully slip into gear and when you let the clutch out you had gear mesh noise.

Glad it worked out and was something simple.
I'm glad too that it was something simple and did not have to take off the transmission again.

Thank you again for all the help!