follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 10-11-2019, 01:51 PM   #43
scotto79

Drives: 2016 Ablaze FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
And this is why my FRS gets a basic wash when its dirty. It will never be a show car, its a driven car that gets abused at times. As soon as I got the car I noticed chips from salt trucks, construction areas, and so forth within the first few weeks of driving it.
scotto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #44
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,128 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I've got 40k km on mine in a year and a half and the paint is still near pristine. Most of the scratches were near the passenger door from people hitting the door with zippers etc.

I'd suggest ceramic to most people if the cost associated with it wasn't so expensive.
I personally wouldn't pay for a ceramic installation unless it was something like opti-coat. If you are handy with a polisher, the consumer grade stuff stuff is worth it if you don't mind the intensive prep.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #45
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotto79 View Post
And this is why my FRS gets a basic wash when its dirty. It will never be a show car, its a driven car that gets abused at times. As soon as I got the car I noticed chips from salt trucks, construction areas, and so forth within the first few weeks of driving it.
Salt trucks... This is what did me in one winter, got stuck behind one and I had to find an opening to race around him...

Old 10-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #46
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Found my first rock chip with surface rust in it. It was on the cabin roof. It's a six-year-old car so not really a big deal. Cleaned with alchohol and applied a generous drop from my six-year-old paint pen. Not going to sweat it but I feel like my car is aeging in dog years.
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:36 PM   #47
anticubus

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFRS View Post
Found my first rock chip with surface rust in it. It was on the cabin roof. It's a six-year-old car so not really a big deal. Cleaned with alchohol and applied a generous drop from my six-year-old paint pen. Not going to sweat it but I feel like my car is aeging in dog years.
Six years? That's some good luck.

I've got swirls, chips, scratches, and dents after 1.5 years and it came with orange peel. I have a dent and scrape on the roof where some wind blew a nice 4cm thick branch chunk at it from ~5m away and ~15m up, and it has multiple spots needing PDR from acorns. Birds love to drop bombs on it. It's also been my DD through snow belt winters, city construction, and gravel road drives, so the paint abuse racked up quickly.

Then again, each problem has been a great excuse to buy detailing equipment, so maybe I'll just quit my day job and take care of cars for a living!
anticubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:23 PM   #48
COLETRICKLE

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i thought i read somwhere that the twins body is Aluminum,or was it just the hood???
COLETRICKLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:15 PM   #49
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLETRICKLE View Post
i thought i read somwhere that the twins body is Aluminum,or was it just the hood???
just the hood, and i believe the roof panel-- iirc, it was done to slightly reduce the CG. but i can't find the confirmation of that
Old 11-09-2019, 12:15 AM   #50
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
just the hood, and i believe the roof panel-- iirc, it was done to slightly reduce the CG. but i can't find the confirmation of that
Just the hood. The roof is steel. Untreated steel unlike the the bottom panels. I have the massive rust spots alone the front edge to prove it.
korhun (11-27-2019), soundman98 (11-09-2019), why? (11-13-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #51
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
plastic rusts now too!

:twitch/:
Old 11-27-2019, 11:54 AM   #52
Stomachbuzz

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yes, very displeased with the paint on this car.
I love the car, but it seems every day I noticed a new spot of
Reinforces the idea of it being a cheap, disposable 'entry level' sports car...
The car still shines overall, and looks "mint" to any random passerby, but the paint is very concerning.
I've never seen paint fail like this before.
As far as the "no more VOCs" comment goes - my girlfriend has a 2013 Camry in Toyota's 'super white' paint (which is known to be the cheapest paint, as whites are usually single stage blah blah or something. Which is why work vans always look like the paint on the hood blew off in full sheets). The paint on her car has held up remarkably well despite the abuse the car receives. Parked outside 100% of its life, often under trees. Gets washed at a drive-through carwash about once every 2 years. NEVER been waxed (lol are you kidding me?) or properly cared for.
I also have several friends with 2013-2014 VWs Jettas which even more spectacular paint.

Here are a few pictures that might make your skin crawl the same way it does to me.
Increasing zoom-in:

It's quite awkward. I've never seen anything like it.
Although this hood blemish is the worst of them by far, the hood has about 4-5 other similar blemishes of lesser magnitude. It also seems like the paint is being 'sanded down by the air' as it has symmetric 'raw marks' right on the hips/haunches of the car above the rear wheel bulge. I suspect, if you put the car in a wind tunnel, that's where the most air pressure is.

I'm dismissing the typical "oh you just let sap sit there" or "bird shit caused that because it's acidic" excuses in advance as these surfaces are almost perfectly vertical.
Additionally, I currently have a drip of sap that's been on my 2008 Tundra for like 5 months now that I expect to wipe off (whenever I get to it) perfectly well.

My car is a 2013 with 52k miles.
I bought it in April with 42k miles in nearly mint condition. I washed my car regularly, and always careful of parking in shade or under trees. 6 months later, all this BS pops up. It's crazy.
Again, I've owned ~40 cars in my life, and this is just shocking.
Stomachbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:06 PM   #53
korhun
Database error

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 1,657 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Parking under the trees is not a good idea for the paint. You have dismissed it already but, it looked like an after effect of a pigeon poo to me.
korhun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to korhun For This Useful Post:
HKz (11-27-2019), Leonardo (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 01:42 PM   #54
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomachbuzz View Post
Yes, very displeased with the paint on this car.
I love the car, but it seems every day I noticed a new spot of
Reinforces the idea of it being a cheap, disposable 'entry level' sports car...
The car still shines overall, and looks "mint" to any random passerby, but the paint is very concerning.
I've never seen paint fail like this before.
As far as the "no more VOCs" comment goes - my girlfriend has a 2013 Camry in Toyota's 'super white' paint (which is known to be the cheapest paint, as whites are usually single stage blah blah or something. Which is why work vans always look like the paint on the hood blew off in full sheets). The paint on her car has held up remarkably well despite the abuse the car receives. Parked outside 100% of its life, often under trees. Gets washed at a drive-through carwash about once every 2 years. NEVER been waxed (lol are you kidding me?) or properly cared for.
I also have several friends with 2013-2014 VWs Jettas which even more spectacular paint.

Here are a few pictures that might make your skin crawl the same way it does to me.
Increasing zoom-in:

It's quite awkward. I've never seen anything like it.
Although this hood blemish is the worst of them by far, the hood has about 4-5 other similar blemishes of lesser magnitude. It also seems like the paint is being 'sanded down by the air' as it has symmetric 'raw marks' right on the hips/haunches of the car above the rear wheel bulge. I suspect, if you put the car in a wind tunnel, that's where the most air pressure is.

I'm dismissing the typical "oh you just let sap sit there" or "bird shit caused that because it's acidic" excuses in advance as these surfaces are almost perfectly vertical.
Additionally, I currently have a drip of sap that's been on my 2008 Tundra for like 5 months now that I expect to wipe off (whenever I get to it) perfectly well.

My car is a 2013 with 52k miles.
I bought it in April with 42k miles in nearly mint condition. I washed my car regularly, and always careful of parking in shade or under trees. 6 months later, all this BS pops up. It's crazy.
Again, I've owned ~40 cars in my life, and this is just shocking.
Time for a carbon hood.. probably work out cheaper than repainting the existing (getting the colour to match..).
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:43 PM   #55
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I've had zero complaints with either Steel or when I had my Hot Lava..compared to what I experienced with my 240SX, Liara & Camry, the 86's paint has held up reasonably well but I admit think living in AZ does makes it easier to take care of besides the constant barrage of rocks getting hurled at my bumper and hood. Even the relatively bad door ding I received did not crack the surrounding paint. I've just washed her once a week, have yet to use a claybar...60 K in 4 years and she still looks alright
Attached Images

HKz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:27 PM   #56
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
That is a bummer, sorry to see that problem with your paint. On my asphalt 13 FRS my paint looks very good still but a few spots where I didnt clean bird poop off quick enough left a tiny bit of a blemish but it isn't that bad. Now after 6 years of ownership the trick to keeping the paint looking good is to protect it with wax or the like. If you get Mcguires quick spray wax and Mcguires quick detail spray. After every wash you should wax it. Anytime you see any bird poop spray the quick detail on it and wipe with a microfiber cloth. Trust me if you do this your paint will last.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote