follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2014, 11:15 PM   #85
sirsol66

Drives: 2013 FRS- Hot Lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The one thing I missed the most from my past cars (Evo VIII, Evo X, DSM's) was the clutch weight. So, I did this today too, removed the e clip with two screw drivers, pushed out the pin with a flat head, and then pushed out the spring.

I haven't driven it yet but just from actuating the clutch a few times, I'm not impressed. The first 1/2" or so feels very light, with essentially no feedback. I'll drive on it a for a few days to see how I like it but I already plan to re-install it. What I found is that if you put the spring in a vice and zip tie it, you can push it back into place and re-insert the pin. Then just cut the zip ties and you should be back to stock.
sirsol66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:25 PM   #86
zdr93523

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsol66 View Post
The one thing I missed the most from my past cars (Evo VIII, Evo X, DSM's) was the clutch weight. So, I did this today too, removed the e clip with two screw drivers, pushed out the pin with a flat head, and then pushed out the spring.

I haven't driven it yet but just from actuating the clutch a few times, I'm not impressed. The first 1/2" or so feels very light, with essentially no feedback. I'll drive on it a for a few days to see how I like it but I already plan to re-install it. What I found is that if you put the spring in a vice and zip tie it, you can push it back into place and re-insert the pin. Then just cut the zip ties and you should be back to stock.
Make sure that you adjust the pedal down to just above the brake pedal height. It will get rid of that free travel. My clutch now feels amazing with this mod.
www.makesmodels.com
www.camautomag.com
zdr93523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:28 AM   #87
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Just did this... feels good man.
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJCarbine For This Useful Post:
zdr93523 (05-24-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 03:14 AM   #88
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Recently done this and noticed the clutch doesn't engage until the pedal is let out almost all the way regardless of how high/low I adjust the engagement point. It basically just shortens the overall throw of the pedal.
Anyone else experience this?
Old 05-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #89
sirsol66

Drives: 2013 FRS- Hot Lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdr93523 View Post
Make sure that you adjust the pedal down to just above the brake pedal height. It will get rid of that free travel. My clutch now feels amazing with this mod.
Will do that today and report back.
sirsol66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sirsol66 For This Useful Post:
zdr93523 (05-25-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 06:02 PM   #90
P@ul
Apostle

Drives: JesusMobile
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I used a mallet and a socket extension to knock the assembly loose after removing the pin with a screw driver.

I think it's great! It gets rid of the non-linearity that I disliked before. The force required to push the pedal in is greater, but the length of travel feels shorter. The clutch point however still feels as vague as before.

I have not adjusted anything else, as I'm pretty happy so far. The old feeling of spring assist reminded me of the MazdaSpeed 6, the worst clutch I've ever used.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by P@ul; 05-25-2014 at 08:17 PM.
P@ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #91
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
Recently done this and noticed the clutch doesn't engage until the pedal is let out almost all the way regardless of how high/low I adjust the engagement point. It basically just shortens the overall throw of the pedal.
Anyone else experience this?
Sounds like you adjusted the clutch pedal height too low. This mod does not affect overall pedal throw in any way. The only difference between having the spring and not having the spring is being able to feel your clutch or not being able to feel your clutch.

Quote:
Good info here on going back to stock. I also had that initial loose feeling up top but it seemed to stiffen up over time and feels identical to stock now. Could just be that my foot got used to it. Either way, that dead zone is a good thing, imo: you know when your clutch is disengaged.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #92
Slysdexia

Drives: '14 Monogram 6MT FR-S - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The first 1/2" or so feels very light, with essentially no feedback.
That's the slack in the system before forcing the throwout bearing to engage the clutch fingers. If you want to get rid of it, you can adjust the clutch pedal downward a bit.

Sent from my PO-T4T0 with Eyes.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:11 AM   #93
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slysdexia View Post
That's the slack in the system before forcing the throwout bearing to engage the clutch fingers. If you want to get rid of it, you can adjust the clutch pedal downward a bit.

I was under the impression that this slack was necessary in order to ensure the clutch was completely disengaged while your foot was not on the pedal. Is this not the case? Wouldn't mind reducing some of the slack, but don't want to prematurely wear my clutch.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #94
Slysdexia

Drives: '14 Monogram 6MT FR-S - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx View Post
I was under the impression that this slack was necessary in order to ensure the clutch was completely disengaged while your foot was not on the pedal. Is this not the case? Wouldn't mind reducing some of the slack, but don't want to prematurely wear my clutch.
You can reduce the slack a bit and be fine, but too little slack can lead to throwout bearing wear, similar to sitting stopped with the clutch pedal held down.

I don't have an issue with the slack, but I'm 6'6, so I pass through the dead spot in an instant.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #95
Andrew025

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx View Post
Sounds like you adjusted the clutch pedal height too low. This mod does not affect overall pedal throw in any way. The only difference between having the spring and not having the spring is being able to feel your clutch or not being able to feel your clutch.
Thing is though, the pedal travel is still pretty long before it engages.
That's what I meant when I said it doesn't matter how high or low I set it.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:19 AM   #96
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Was reminded of this in another thread. Figure this is worth bumping in case anyone hasn't seen it yet. Just read through this thread, the comments speak for themselves.

Quote:
Will do that today and report back.
Interesting you mention Evos too. I liked the pedal feel in an Evo IX but didn't like it too much in an Evo X. How is the clutch now?

I feel just like @xxBrun0xx does. I installed the quickshifter today, and have done the other common mods - helper spring, clutch height, MTEC springs, Pentosin fluid. Driving in a straight line, shifting at 3k actually feels fun now, and is easy to do smoothly.
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:23 AM   #97
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
Thing is though, the pedal travel is still pretty long before it engages.
That's what I meant when I said it doesn't matter how high or low I set it.
That's the thing, I can't even recall where the engagement point was when everything was stock. I think it was right at the top of the pedal. It was just too vague feeling... I did the pedal height mod first, so I couldn't tell you now.

and oops... yes, I know how to multi-quote. Just lazy.
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:53 AM   #98
Andrew025

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsurety View Post
That's the thing, I can't even recall where the engagement point was when everything was stock. I think it was right at the top of the pedal. It was just too vague feeling... I did the pedal height mod first, so I couldn't tell you now.

and oops... yes, I know how to multi-quote. Just lazy.
At this point, I have no idea where the stock height is since I've messed with it a lot since pulling the spring.
My concern was that the engagement point is always at the top of the pedal no matter where I adjust it to (after removing the spring).
Andrew025 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch helper spring, helper spring removal