follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-26-2012, 04:35 AM   #57
dori.
Seņor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
so you mean to tell me that toyota/subaru et al can't design a roadster based on teh ft86 without taking the existing chassis and just changing the top of the structure?

as opposed to making a new chassis based on the platform. ok brah.

since you know about both companies engineering capabilities and resources, you win.
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #58
glorydays
Remember me?

Drives: BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It looks like a very skinny chick with a ridiculously fat ass
glorydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #59
DRACHENV6

Drives: tata nano
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
They need to design the convertible really well in order for it to sell. I think the focus should be weight, style, handling, and price.

IMO the following are a must:
  1. Weight reduction + hardtop (retractable or removable like the s2000)
  2. A car that does not look like the IS-convertible.. Yuck!
  3. Handling that is at least on par with the s2000
  4. Competitive pricing
  5. +/- Kerrs hybrid system. Let's see what it can do before coming to conclusions
]

The BRZ/FRS won over car enthusiasts but toyota/subaru are looking to expand their target audience. I think it's a smart move, but they need to stay true to their roots or this will become another IS-350/F letdown.

If this ends up looking like the solara....
DRACHENV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:44 AM   #60
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACHENV6 View Post
They need to design the convertible really well in order for it to sell. I think the focus should be weight, style, handling, and price.

IMO the following are a must:
  1. Weight reduction + hardtop (retractable or removable like the s2000)
  2. A car that does not look like the IS-convertible.. Yuck!
  3. Handling that is at least on par with the s2000
  4. Competitive pricing
  5. +/- Kerrs hybrid system. Let's see what it can do before coming to conclusions
]

The BRZ/FRS won over car enthusiasts but toyota/subaru are looking to expand their target audience. I think it's a smart move, but they need to stay true to their roots or this will become another IS-350/F letdown.

If this ends up looking like the solara....
? This is a little confusing. If the niche car enthusiast market is taken care of, why does the convertible need the weight and handling to be spot on? I think it simply needs styling, price, price and price to appeal to an expanded market (non-enthusiasts). I'd be willing to bet that automatic transmission equip cars will make up the bulk of sales, even. The car is already well designed, chopping the roof off won't make a consequential difference to the average buyer (to a track junkie: sure) - just make it cheap, look good and have plenty of them on the lot. Even if the convertible sells well only for a couple of years, it'll still be good business for Toyota since it's cheaper in r&d to do this than make a brand new model. And it's great for the buyer as the Miata finally gets some competition (although we've heard that one countless times in the past)

And thinking about the higher performance super-capacitor model that should be out in a few years.. I'm excited for it and all but why not put that tech into a higher scale (Supra) model and keep the FRS as a simple, ironed out canvas like Mazda did with the Miata. I shudder when thinking about the Mazdaspeed version. Keep it Simple, Stupid! Maybe I'm just annoyed that the current car has some issues and room for more natural growth and looking at exotic/unnecessary components is too.. ambitious? They should spend some time making the current product the absolute best it can be, then explore some unique approaches.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:48 AM   #61
ben15r

Drives: FBM stage 1 rebadged FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re~Mix View Post
Targa top anyone!?
+ Cage
ben15r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #62