follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2016, 01:30 AM   #85
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hoping to make my own comparison next week, local dealer has a 2017 Limited manual available for testing (in CWP no less) plus several 2016s still on site.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sport-Tech For This Useful Post:
NLS8520 (10-08-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 08:34 PM   #86
max20s14

Drives: 14' Raven M/T - 02' is300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Curious to see if the changes to the engine prove to make it more reliable or hold up to boost better.
max20s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #87
SuperDave

Drives: DAT Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by max20s14 View Post
Curious to see if the changes to the engine prove to make it more reliable or hold up to boost better.
Reliable, probably but more has been done to lighten the powertrain to get more power to the wheels. I doubt it would be any more reliable to push anything more than the 10lbs of boost that most kits push.
SuperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #88
max20s14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
Reliable, probably but more has been done to lighten the powertrain to get more power to the wheels. I doubt it would be any more reliable to push anything more than the 10lbs of boost that most kits push.

Has anyone posted Dyno numbers for a 17'?
Old 10-12-2016, 11:01 AM   #89
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by max20s14 View Post
Has anyone posted Dyno numbers for a 17'?
Mine is going on a Dyno this friday the shop is well known for it's Turbo Systems, so they taking time to research the car, Stand by

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zaku For This Useful Post:
deejaylew (10-12-2016), funwheeldrive (10-12-2016), Oxyg3n (10-12-2016), Tcoat (10-13-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 04:45 PM   #90
max20s14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Mine is going on a Dyno this friday the shop is well known for it's Turbo Systems, so they taking time to research the car, Stand by

Looking forward to it!
The Following User Says Thank You to max20s14 For This Useful Post:
Zaku (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 11:43 PM   #91
Sport-Tech

Quote:
Unless the shop has done a run on a low-mileage 1st gen on the same dyno, the run is not going to tell us much - inherent variance between dynos will make any measurement of gains at the wheels suitable for entertainment purposes only without a proper comparator.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sport-Tech For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (10-13-2016), Tcoat (10-13-2016), Zaku (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 12:16 AM   #92
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
Unless the shop has done a run on a low-mileage 1st gen on the same dyno, the run is not going to tell us much - inherent variance between dynos will make any measurement of gains at the wheels suitable for entertainment purposes only without a proper comparator.
I was thinking the same thing. I was about to offer my 2014 to dyno along with Zakus car, but then I realized he lives on the other side of the country.

Last edited by funwheeldrive; 10-13-2016 at 08:51 AM.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
Zaku (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 03:18 AM   #93
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:

Looking forward
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Zaku (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 12:04 PM   #94
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Gentlemen please, I assure you this is for entertainment purposes. At least for me I get to see how much slower my 2017 is compared to my 2007 S2000 which was rated higher anyways at 240hp 160lbs, . This will help me explain to myself that 205hp crank is enough or not, and then modify the car to my liking in terms of power. (with the Supra looming though I might be part of HellaStock for resale)

In anycase I'm willing to share my Dyno data, I would love to put an older 1200 mile FRS/BRZ from 13 or 15 on the Dyno and give you all the things you want. Heck if I had it my way I'll find a GRMN at 1200 miles too, even more entertaining. The issue is, well there's probably no 13 around with 1200 miles, nor a 15. Second,people seem to think of Dyno data as medical records, they're not exactly fourth coming with these things I don't know why. I do however believe that in many ways cars are like people, I'm sure @funwheeldrive @Tcoat can probably run a mile faster than I can etc. Another 17 is different from my Kongou yes that is her name, it's pronounces like the country except add a U sound at the end. You already know about the cars being different yadaa yadda

Technically speaking, the manufacture had already released data on this in form of a graph. If we believe it or not is also another story. It's likely that either I want to be entertained or I don't believe it either. Gasp.

But in the event that I do want to tell everyone stuff the shop that I picked to do this is reputable with their systems, in fact it's in lots of cars. They did purchase a 13 FRS in it's first year, did a proper break in and then DYNO it to get a base line(this is a factor of 200 miles, in case they did the baseline right after a thousand) with that they developed a Turbo system. But wait! there's more! in 15 they bought a BRZ to work on their version 2 of the system; it recently released. Throughout the years, many people have gone there to get a baseline because this shop is the only place in the DMV area that has a 4WD DynoDynamics Dynometer, no random Mustang tie down Dyno there only the same Dyno they use in Europe for Porsche and Ferrari. Hmm I think they had a Mclaren P1 on there recently. I could propably keep going on an on about how awesome PTUNING can be.

But in any case, working with the technician there I'm sure they'll be able to provide me with the shop car's medical records and we will try our best to see if we can get some solid data for everyone's entertainment. You're welcome to take this as technical too to whoever wants to, maybe they'll take my data to create more aftermarket stuff we will see.

this post has no sarcasm...none... nada... maybe..hmm what is Tcoat having for lunch today... I wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I was about to offer my 2014 to dyno along with Zakus car, but then I realized he lives on the other side of the country.
you are simply the best! I'm sure if you do want to also dyno for entertainment purposes we can arrange one of our other super awesome 17 owner to go meet ya!

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zaku For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (10-13-2016), Oxyg3n (10-13-2016), Sport-Tech (10-13-2016), why? (10-14-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 12:26 PM   #95
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

this post has no sarcasm...none... nada... maybe..hmm what is Tcoat having for lunch today... I wonder

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=122
Mr.Impreza (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 05:56 PM   #96
Sport-Tech

Got a chance to test drive a Sport-tech '17 today. I had previously driven 2 FRSs back in 2013 - definitely a while ago but I remember enough of that to draw some comparisons that struck me:
  • the new BRZ suspension is more compliant, but the difference isn't great.
    Road feel while still present is less harsh, which has its pros (comfort) and its cons (a slightly more isolated driving experience).
  • clutch pedal is more manageable now with a lower bite point and a much more progressive takeup
  • gearshift while still firm and solid is smoother shifting
  • most surprising difference: in-cabin intake/engine sound tone has improved considerably, no longer nearly as agricultural, in fact quite pleasant on hard throttle in the low and mid RPMs, still a little thrashy right at the top end
  • highway cruising - the engine is amazingly quiet, you hardly know it's running; tire noise not bad either; wind noise is fairly noticeable but tolerable
Can't speak to handling differences, drove the FRS too long ago and never got to wring either car out hard on curves beyond a few on-ramps. Car felt like it had BMW levels of solidity, no squeaks or noises of any kind.

Acceleration seems fine around town, IMO somewhat lacking from 100 kph up even in the "right" gear- no squirting this car into an empty freeway lane in a hurry.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sport-Tech For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (10-14-2016), daiheadjai (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #97
Oxyg3n

Drives: 2017 BRZ - WRB
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Got a chance to test drive a Sport-tech '17 today. I had previously driven 2 FRSs back in 2013 - definitely a while ago but I remember enough of that to draw some comparisons that struck me:
    Road feel while still present is less harsh, which has its pros (comfort) and its cons (a slightly more isolated driving experience).
  • clutch pedal is more manageable now with a lower bite point and a much more progressive takeup
  • most surprising difference: in-cabin intake/engine sound tone has improved considerably, no longer nearly as agricultural, in fact quite pleasant on hard throttle in the low and mid RPMs, still a little thrashy right at the top end
  • highway cruising - the engine is amazingly quiet, you hardly know it's running; tire noise not bad either; wind noise is fairly noticeable but tolerable
Can't speak to handling differences, drove the FRS too long ago and never got to wring either car out hard on curves beyond a few on-ramps. Car felt like it had BMW levels of solidity, no squeaks or noises of any kind.

Acceleration seems fine around town, IMO somewhat lacking from 100 kph up even in the "right" gear- no squirting this car into an empty freeway lane in a hurry.
+1 on the intake/cabin grunt when you gas it a little. I noticed it right away even though I have only test drove the prefacelifts before. I also gave an FRS owner a ride and he said that it sounded a little bit louder too. I actually really like the noise it makes in the front, now to a louder exhaust!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Oxyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:02 AM   #98
yip

Drives: 1997 Chevy S10
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Thank you for posting this! Help's me feel good about selling my Monogram to purchase a 17 BRZ.

It's making me crazy though that I have to wait until mid February to receive my order
yip is offline   Reply With Quote