follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 01-16-2017, 11:46 PM   #15
Akuma147

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You have to buy the AX-SUB28SWC and wire it as shown in the guide, if you want to retain your backup camera.
Akuma147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #16
koopatroopa

Drives: 2017 BRZ Manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey, just followed your guide everything works perfectly now. I did have alot of trouble however connecting the 28-pin adapters, I had to bend the pins a bit and cram the adapters together, didn't fit all the way but reverse camera and steering controls work, didn't test AUX. Did you have any trouble connecting the adapters? It looks like the pins on the AX-SUB28SWC are longer and little thicker than the original maybe?

Thanks!
koopatroopa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to koopatroopa For This Useful Post:
Joon525 (03-10-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #17
ImDatSlaya

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma147 View Post
You have to buy the AX-SUB28SWC and wire it as shown in the guide, if you want to retain your backup camera.
The bottom connect is for the camera
No clue what the top is for but it's clearly important. My radio works but the sound is lacking. No bass at all. I contacted Joying and they are supposed to be sending me the right harness. As for my back up camera it's generic toyota back up camera the 2014 model didn't come standard with one
ImDatSlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:46 PM   #18
ImDatSlaya

Also any idea what I can replace the dash trim with? It's slightly to small for the new joying.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:31 AM   #19
Akuma147

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopatroopa View Post
Hey, just followed your guide everything works perfectly now. I did have alot of trouble however connecting the 28-pin adapters, I had to bend the pins a bit and cram the adapters together, didn't fit all the way but reverse camera and steering controls work, didn't test AUX. Did you have any trouble connecting the adapters? It looks like the pins on the AX-SUB28SWC are longer and little thicker than the original maybe?

Thanks!
No, I didn't have any issues; it was a perfect fit for me. Are you talking about connecting the AX-SUB28SWC to the OEM 28-pin harness or repinning the AX-SUB28SWC?
Old 01-18-2017, 02:33 AM   #20
Akuma147

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDatSlaya View Post
Also any idea what I can replace the dash trim with? It's slightly to small for the new joying.
I'll just quote myself here:
Quote:
That's the same unit I upgraded to, works great. Unfortunately, that one is a bit smaller than my previous Joying unit (the one shown in the guide). The one in the guide was 200mm wide and would most likely fit perfectly with that and any other bezel made for MY2015 and below. That new Joying unit is 178mm wide, so the gap would be even bigger, so you have to purchase additional double din mounting kit. This is the one I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K52CY2. This would make it fill in the gaps and fit that trim piece.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:08 AM   #21
Akuma147

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDatSlaya View Post
The bottom connect is for the camera
No clue what the top is for but it's clearly important. My radio works but the sound is lacking. No bass at all. I contacted Joying and they are supposed to be sending me the right harness. As for my back up camera it's generic toyota back up camera the 2014 model didn't come standard with one
The Joying Toyota Harness does not come with the 28-pin connector (which is what you need to connect to the harness shown on the top image), it comes with a 20-pin connector (The one in your bottom picture with the pink, brown, and black wire, which is for steering wheel controls, which you don't need because 2014 FRS doesn't have steering wheel controls on the steering wheel). That's why you have to get the AX-SUB28SWC harness, which would allow you to connect the backup camera and retain the OEM AUX port.

You have no bass because you didn't connect the orange wire labeled Amp-Cont on the Joying Toyota Harness to the factory wiring. In my guide, you would need the AX-SUB28SWC, but that is only for the BRZ. For the FRS, I believe the Amp Signal wire is located on the 10-pin connector, Pin 8 (Look here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42239). Also, on the Joying Toyota Harness, I believe you need to re-pin the wires on pin 9 to pin 8. Just look at the factory 10-pin harness and see if the wires match up.

Alternatively, if you don't want to get the AX-SUB28SWC, you can splice directly to the factory 28-pin harness. Just follow the pins here, but ignore Pin 9, which is only for BRZ: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=22.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #22
koopatroopa

Drives: 2017 BRZ Manual
Quote:
No, I didn't have any issues; it was a perfect fit for me. Are you talking about connecting the AX-SUB28SWC to the OEM 28-pin harness or repinning the AX-SUB28SWC?
Connecting the AX-SUB28SWC to the OEM 28-pin, dunno why I had so much trouble; I was expecting this part of the install to be really smooth lol.

Also, had a question regarding these Joying units, when I turn off the car it looks like it goes into standby mode. Does this drain the battery if left off too long? It's very convenient for boot times but I'm worried it'll drain the battery one day
koopatroopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:38 AM   #23
Akuma147

Yeah, I had the same concern regarding the battery, but I left my car unused for 3 days, and after turning on my car, the battery was still at 14V, which is where it's normally at, so I'm not too worried about it. It doesn't seem like it uses a lot of battery in standby mode. I also had an always on front and rear dash cam plugged in, so I don't think there's any worry. If you're going to be leaving your car off for an extended period, you can always turn off the standby mode in the options.

Last edited by Akuma147; 04-20-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #24
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Garage
Okay, I'll play the anal wiring dude and say you should always solder connections and not crimp them. Otherwise, great DIY.
MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #25
ImDatSlaya

Quote:
I'll just quote myself here:
Not at the sides lol. I already have those trim pieces. I'm talking about the top. It sticks out so the dash trim doesn't go all the way in.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:21 PM   #26
demasrv

Drives: 2013 Rally Blue BRZ
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
How do you like the head unit so far? I'm looking at buying an Android one but I can't decide which one would be best.
demasrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:36 AM   #27
ImDatSlaya

This is the correct harness you should use.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #28
Joon525

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by koopatroopa View Post

Thanks!
@koopatroopa you're not alone...
I'm having the same issue right now. The pins on the SUB28SWC definitely might be thicker and/or crooked right out of the box (bag). Maybe different production runs have different tolerances?

There's even a review on Amazon that mentions the buyer had to realign all of the pins.

I might de-pin the entire thing, plug in the connectors, and then reinsert the pins while the white connectors are already perfectly seated (if they seat).

Edit: 3/16/2017: I got this 28 pin harness to work by doing exactly what I said I would try.
1. Took a picture of where all pins currently were.
2. Removed all of them.
3. Put the harness together.
4. Using the picture as a guide, inserted all pins where they should be again.

Note: These pins are indeed a little thicker than the ones in the stock radio but they do fit. If anyone reading this is running into the same problem make sure that the pin is completely straight before inserting them into the harness.
I found that some were indeed crooked...like the 10 year old in China that was putting this together was getting sleepy while working from being overworked or something. This was by far the worst fitting harness I've ever had to use in all my years of working on car stereos but you can get it to work. I'm sure that not all are this bad or even have a problem to begin with though...I just wasn't as lucky as others.

Last edited by Joon525; 03-16-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Joon525 is offline   Reply With Quote