follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #225
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
All of a sudden I'm not so upset I have the FR-S over the BRZ.

Still it's bad news in general.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #226
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
how tall is vin diesel?

My old roommate is gigantic at 6'5" built like an NFL quarterback, he fit just fine. Move on.

Edit: On the topic of Mr. Diesel, I like him for one reason only: he's a hardcore pen and paper role player.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
stockysnail (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #227
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Has this been posted? Not a BRZ but one of its elders courtesy of Sung Kang's mobile phone...

Old 01-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #228
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Those wheels are jaaaaccccked. Like, literally.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #229
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer305 View Post
Why couldn't they use the FR-S!? That would fit in just perfect. I like the BRZ because it dosen't seem to attract the same crowd of the FR-S.... Ohh well.
It wouldn't matter though. The BRZ is more expensive than the FRS (in terms of it being both at MSRP). Whichever the person decides to buy (if they do) they'd most likely go for the FRS. Of course this is after the movie when people start becoming "inspired" to do so.

That is if you're trying to refer to people buying a certain car after the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesFRS View Post
Monicaaaaa nooooooo.........
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
No he's not, he's always been Korean. In Tokyo Drift, he talks about Tokyo being his "Mexico," and he's never been identified as being Japanese. He just lived there after the events of the previous movies (in the timeline).

In Fast Five when he (and the other people in their crew) had been identified by The Rock, his name shows up as "Han Seoul-Oh," which is a bit Korean-ish (and a pun on Han Solo from Star Wars).

I think Jeremy Lin has enough integrity to be accurate in certain portrayals (as in the Tokyo Drift behind-the-scenes/director's commentary he talks about having met with actual Yakuza members to figure out how to portray them accurately) and probably won't be casting Asian guys to play a completely different Asian nationality (unless it's one where they are truly similar in appearance without being obvious to Asian people, like in the first one where they had a Korean and a Filipino both portraying Chinese people).
Anyways, since you didn't respond to me and after reading this entire thread (up to 11th page as of this moment) I still think you don't get what I'm trying to say, or you have misunderstood what I was trying to get at.

YES. Han is portrayed as Japanese IN THE MOVIE.

If you read my post I said IN REAL LIFE. He is actually Korean. As a person. Not an actor.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #230
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
It's always kind of bothered me, but now that I think about it... I don't think he's ever stated that he IS Japanese. Does he even speak Japanese in Tokyo Drift? In the other movies he just talks about wanting to go to Japan, like his version of riding into the sunset.

In Better Luck Tomorrow he DOES portray himself as Japanese, though.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #231
mangostick
Banned

Drives: whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
great.. another F+F movie to further destroy the car scene.

I remember when the first movie came out and how quickly the jackasses just came out of the woodwork. See a movie then bam.. the car scene is where they want to be. .. Ruined it for those of us that grew up with and as real tried n true oil in the blood car folks.

Now because of that series of movies and the bullshit that followed, informal car gatherings are heavily frowned upon where as back in the day the police never even blinked an eye at us. Now days a parking lot or food establishment with a bunch of cars and people outside and the Police are all teeth and froth thinking they have "racers" on their hands.

Just look at all the street racing laws that found their way onto the books after those movies. Before that it was descrete, or kept to the track on wed/sat nights. Nope, not any more.

I own all 5 movies because its just another part of my "car" movie collection... but what that franchise did to the car enthusiast world is unforgivable.
mangostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #232
BoostinIX
Gettin SIKKY sideways

Drives: '97 S14.5 / '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to BoostinIX Send a message via Yahoo to BoostinIX
Just look at how many vendors and how much money poured into the scene thanks to those movies. Like it or not, they've helped out.

BoostinIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #233
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
Anyways, since you didn't respond to me and after reading this entire thread (up to 11th page as of this moment) I still think you don't get what I'm trying to say, or you have misunderstood what I was trying to get at.

YES. Han is portrayed as Japanese IN THE MOVIE.

If you read my post I said IN REAL LIFE. He is actually Korean. As a person. Not an actor.
Was I supposed to reply? I didn't know it bothered you that much.

Anyway, it's very clear that the actor himself is Korean in real life... no argument there, never said otherwise. But he is also Korean in Tokyo Drift, not Japanese, unless you have proof stating otherwise, even though you seemed to ignore what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
It's always kind of bothered me, but now that I think about it... I don't think he's ever stated that he IS Japanese. Does he even speak Japanese in Tokyo Drift? In the other movies he just talks about wanting to go to Japan, like his version of riding into the sunset.
Exactly. He's never officially recognized as anything in particular, but again, his name is HAN (typically not a Japanese name, usually Korean), and his last name in Fast Five was SEOUL-OH (also very likely Korean, but definitely not Japanese). He does speak a line or two in Japanese, but that doesn't mean he's Japanese -- Sean, Neela and Twinkie all speak a little Japanese as well in the film. Additionally, why does every other Japanese character in Tokyo Drift speak with an accent but Han doesn't have an accent at all? There's far more evidence siding with him not being portrayed as a Japanese character as much just being a guy who happens to being of Asian descent but ended up in Japan. It's not an impossible scenario.

As you mentioned, when asked about Japan in Tokyo Drift, he explains to Sean that Japan is his "Mexico," which is typically where the anti-hero (at least in American films) flees to when on the run from the law. So obviously he's not from Japan, plus in Fast & Furious when parting ways with Dom, he talks about wanting to go to Tokyo in a manner that insinuated that he had never been there, and likely not to Japan at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
I own all 5 movies because its just another part of my "car" movie collection... but what that franchise did to the car enthusiast world is unforgivable.
But at the same time, it wasn't clear what impact the movie (and eventually entire franchise) would have. The movie wasn't expected to be as successful as it was at the box office, let alone in influencing culture and expanding it to a broader audience. But that happens with A LOT of things that are exposed in a mainstream fashion.

I don't know how old you are, but look at Karate Kid. Karate studios were booming with business from the mid-80s onward, and it prompted a lot of other people to open their own studios as well. All of a sudden everyone knew karate and wanted to fight. Same thing with The Mighty Ducks. It wasn't a huge huge sport amongst the youth, but A LOT of people took interest in it afterward. Same thing with rap and hip-hop culture. You had a lot of people who had zero street in them wearing baggy jeans, oversized jerseys, etc., and then then with the varying waves of gangsta rap from the mid-90s onward, you had people learning how to Crip walk when Snoop, Kurupt, WC, etc. were doing it, and then in more recent years you have people wearing red and sporting red bandannas just because they see people like The Game and Lil Wayne doing it.

So yes, the culture gets overexposed and diluted when taken on by a new crowd not part of it naturally, but that happens when it's brought to the forefront. But it is allowed to happen since the people behind it will make a killing on it, despite what disapproval the "enthusiasts" or "originators" of each of those cultures feels before and/or after.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #234
mangostick
Banned

Drives: whiteout FRS
Garage
I'm 34.. I do remember each and every example you have there. They're all true.. Its just sad man. Considering that a great deal of my upbringing and social activities revolved around cars.. then this bullshit hits the screen and poof.. Now I'm a criminal for chillin in a parking lot with my friends. :|

Which I dont really do much of anymore since its become so taboo.. and I'm kinda gettin some grey hairs lol. Cars n coffee is still fun, I hang around with the old guys and we talk about how it used to be.

I agree no one knew what the affect would be. That doesn't mean we have to be happy about it.

Mainstream destroys anything that's cool. Just the way it is.
mangostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #235
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
I agree no one knew what the affect would be. That doesn't mean we have to be happy about it.
Oh, I agree. It certainly does suck, especially when a lot of other automotive cultures do a lot of the same stuff but don't get looked down upon by the law, the public, each other, etc. the same way import culture does. But when $15,000 Scions and Hondas are "hella flush" or whatever that stupid trend is called with wheels looking like they're a third-way stuck transitioning to hovercraft mode (see Back to the Future), then people are going to take notice, likely not in a good way.

But what can we do. My car is basically stock, I don't drive like an idiot, and I don't catch any of the flak caused by the poor actions of others. So there's a way around it, regardless of which import you drive.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #236
pheoxs
Hold my beer n watch this

Drives: '14 Fiesta ST / '91 240sx
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
Snip Snip
Han definitely isn't Japanese. In Tokyo Drift he says:

Quote:
Well, you know those old Westerns

where the cowboys make a run for the border?

This is my Mexico.
Indicating he ran away and ended up in Japan to be safe from ... something not sure what though
pheoxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #237
DeeezNuuuts83

I know, tell that to Giccin.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #238
Marcoscrdo

Drives: 13' DGM Built FBM BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
I like the f&f movies, and i think its cool. But i agree to how people make it look bad trying to do the same things in real life. Like crashing new cars that just came out, aka the twins. Already crashing within the year it was out? Thats crazy
Marcoscrdo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marcoscrdo For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (01-23-2013)