follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2018, 05:42 PM   #15
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
Oh well yeah that's a different story lol. I am lowered as well but only on ProKit springs so I think I am good for the DMV ramps. Though, I may ask around for local shops and just pay to get it done and not worry about it.
It's ur call. If I can go over that ramp I probably went dmv

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #16
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
My only concern is what is the requirement if you fail? Do they require a repair receipt? Or can I just swap on my stock header and possibly reflash stock rom and go back, rinse and repeat?
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:00 PM   #17
brz fred

Drives: 2015 Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
if you fail you'll have to goto a NJ certified emission repair facility, there's a few in like every town. they'll have to preform the repair and then i think you take the receipt back to the inspection place. I paid a shop in somers point $50 to do my inspection on my a4(no cats and an apr tune) no problems. As a matter of fact... I went thru the nj inspection in mayslanding and they failed me for window tint on that car, said nothing about w/e they scanned in the obd
Old 02-06-2018, 06:04 PM   #18
brz fred

Drives: 2015 Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
now that I'm really thinking about it, go to a private shop and tell them whats going on. they can hold up a scanner and tell you if you'll pass, private shops don't give a shit.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #19
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Yeah I just don't want to have to produce a receipt when it's a "repair" happening in my garage.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:39 PM   #20
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I took mine last September to the inspection station in Lawrenceville. They did a visual scan for a cat by driving over a camera. I have a OFT Stage 2 with catless Tomei EL header and a Perrin header-back exhaust with high-flow cat. They saw the cat and scanned the ECU and I passed without issues.

I did scan my ECU with the OFT as well as an Actron scanner and everything came back clean.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:18 AM   #21
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnk View Post
I took mine last September to the inspection station in Lawrenceville. They did a visual scan for a cat by driving over a camera. I have a OFT Stage 2 with catless Tomei EL header and a Perrin header-back exhaust with high-flow cat. They saw the cat and scanned the ECU and I passed without issues.

I did scan my ECU with the OFT as well as an Actron scanner and everything came back clean.
..You have a highflow cat, this doesnt help me lol. I need input from a catless OFT stage 2 user who went through an NJ inspection station.

What I am wondering though is how are they able to see anything but the secondary cat with the covers in place?

Last edited by B-R-Z; 02-07-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #22
cnk

Quote:
..You have a highflow cat, this doesnt help me lol. I need input from a catless OFT stage 2 user who went through an NJ inspection station.

What I am wondering though is how are they able to see anything but the secondary cat with the covers in place?
How does that not help you? You will fail the visual at a state facility based on my experience if you don't have the secondary cat that they can see when they drive over the camera. If they don't see it, they'll pop your hood to look for one. You have to keep in mind that it's not like that know how many cats each car has. They are just looking to see that you have one. Find a friendly local shop and pay the ~$50.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2018, 08:31 AM   #23
zc06_kisstherain

Garage
Quote:
How does that not help you? You will fail the visual at a state facility based on my experience if you don't have the secondary cat that they can see when they drive over the camera. If they don't see it, they'll pop your hood to look for one. You have to keep in mind that it's not like that know how many cats each car has. They are just looking to see that you have one. Find a friendly local shop and pay the ~$50.

This guy is correct. I had HF cat when had inspection. Guy at shop actually pop up hood and have visual inspection

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2018, 08:45 AM   #24
zc06_kisstherain

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brz fred View Post
if you fail you'll have to goto a NJ certified emission repair facility, there's a few in like every town. they'll have to preform the repair and then i think you take the receipt back to the inspection place. I paid a shop in somers point $50 to do my inspection on my a4(no cats and an apr tune) no problems. As a matter of fact... I went thru the nj inspection in mayslanding and they failed me for window tint on that car, said nothing about w/e they scanned in the obd
i dont exactly know this in detail but if you get failure on certain parts when inspector said so, you can just fix that part and go back to same inspection location again. that's how i had it before. shop usually offer you to fix at their place (of course more money)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:19 AM   #25
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:

Because you're saying you have a high flow cat and they saw it and passed you, right? I'm essentially looking for someone in the same boat as me who has an identical setup from a visual and sniffer perspective that went to a state facility.

And yes I'll most likely go to a private shop and not worry about it
Old 02-07-2018, 10:16 AM   #26
cnk

Quote:
Because you're saying you have a high flow cat and they saw it and passed you, right? I'm essentially looking for someone in the same boat as me who has an identical setup from a visual and sniffer perspective that went to a state facility.

And yes I'll most likely go to a private shop and not worry about it
I don't know man. Sounds like you're looking for that one guy that got lucky with a state inspector that wasn't paying attention that day. You have multiple folks telling you what will happen. I mean, damn, I sat in the car with the inspector as he did his thing and talked to him about what he was looking for. Even if you find that one person that fits your criteria, the odds are still stacked against you.

They do 2 things during inspection, visual for a cat and OBDII scan. There is no sniffer on any car that has OBDII. You need to find a private shop that will overlook the visual portion. If your car won't pass an OBDII scan, you'll have to look even harder for someone willing to pass you if they can pass you at all because they are supposedly using some kind of verification system when they connect to your car now to prevent shops from scanning another car in place of yours. I'm sure there are still some shops willing to do it for a price though.

State inspection facilities are too much of an unknown. Like "brz fred" said above, they even failed him for tint, which to me falls into that safety portion that they supposedly did away with during inspections. My windows are tinted as well and I rolled both down to avoid any issues.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:59 AM   #27
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:
I don't know man. Sounds like you're looking for that one guy that got lucky with a state inspector that wasn't paying attention that day. You have multiple folks telling you what will happen. I mean, damn, I sat in the car with the inspector as he did his thing and talked to him about what he was looking for. Even if you find that one person that fits your criteria, the odds are still stacked against you.

They do 2 things during inspection, visual for a cat and OBDII scan. There is no sniffer on any car that has OBDII. You need to find a private shop that will overlook the visual portion. If your car won't pass an OBDII scan, you'll have to look even harder for someone willing to pass you if they can pass you at all because they are supposedly using some kind of verification system when they connect to your car now to prevent shops from scanning another car in place of yours. I'm sure there are still some shops willing to do it for a price though.

State inspection facilities are too much of an unknown. Like "brz fred" said above, they even failed him for tint, which to me falls into that safety portion that they supposedly did away with during inspections. My windows are tinted as well and I rolled both down to avoid any issues.
Not looking for that one lucky guy, looking for a general consensus on people's experiences with an identical setup to prepare me for when it comes time for me in June. I havent been to an inspection in ~6 years and i heard things changed so wasn't sure at all what level of checking they do...IIRC someone said as long as your car isn't falling apart you pass.

The tint thing I wasn't even thinking about but now that you brought that up I am definitely going to a private shop. I have my fronts done and do not want to peel them off and have redone.

Thanks everyone
Old 02-07-2018, 11:16 AM   #28
zc06_kisstherain

Garage
no more tint inspection in NJ. dont confuse people here.
NJ now only test on OBDII scan and as long as no cel, you're ok.
they check visual on cat though. no sniff.