follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #57
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
Not that I know of...The FB20 might....but the FA20 sounds like it doesn't have AVCS.

I dunno if they are going to go with VVTI or Valvematic or AVCS...I kinda have the feeling that if at all..it will have Subaru Variable Valve Tech in the future. Rather VVTi even if the heads have been work on by Yamaha.

Personally id like to see a strong Valvematic system or Dual AVLS

I'll bet that as much as the OP would like to imply otherwise, Toyota must have been hesitant to share it's next gen DI technology. As such, pretty sure they won't share valvematic (feel free to prove me wrong ToyMoCo). If anything maybe we'll see AVCS or VVTI
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #58
Kids Heart

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...86fr-sbrz.aspx
Quote:

FR-S, GT86, 86, BRZ exhaust manifold UPDATE: Tip of the hat to MotoIQ Nerd @Jamal, who pointed us to Hellafunctional, who stole this image from someone over at FT86Club who snapped this shot in the Subaru booth at the Tokyo Motor Show a few days ago . Looks like the engine uses a proper 4-2-1 header, which means it will sound like a proper 4-cylinder, not like a WRX. Love that fact or hate it (I'm on the fence) this manifold is surely a large part of why this engine is capable of 100 hp per liter.

Subaru BRZ Turbo, toyota 86 turbo, scion fr-s turbo MORE UPDATES: Jay Kavanagh over at InsideLine.com posted these pictures of the Subaru 1.6 turbo sitting right next to the BRZ/86/FT-S engine. Though there are no claims this will go in the 86, it doens't take much imagination to see it being done, either by them or by us. This turbo packaging is very friendly for the 86's FR layout, since there will be tons of room in front for a bigger turbo. This packaging makes a twin-scroll a no-brainer, since you could essentially have the same manifold as the non-turbo engine, but with a turbo flange right after the 4-2 collectors. It would also be much easier to simply put the intercooler in front, where it belongs, and connect to the already forward-facing throttle body.

It's not clear how Subaru is dealing with oil drainage, since the turbo's oil drain is down below the oil line in the pan, but the fact that Subaru already worked it out for us makes it much easier when we turbocharge one of these ourselves.

The dual direct/port injection system now makes perfect sense. It's easier for tuners to leave the direct injectors alone and add bigger port injectors for boosted fueling.
Thread over.
Kids Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #59
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Except that when you start hosing in port injected fueling, your chemical quench reduces and disturbs combustion wavefront/pressure uniformity. The result is you cannot run as much boost versus DI. This is why, in addition to making the engine cheaper, as shown in the picture above, the DIT-1.6 has DI-only.

It's a bit disappointing to read MotoIQ spewing bad tuning practices. A good tuner will continue to use the direct injectors at WOT assuming they can delivery the fuel mass.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #60
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ20 View Post
yamaha (which is owned by Toyota)
5% constitutes ownership, really?
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #61
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
On the internets a rumor constitutes ownership, duh.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #62
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
It does not, but Toyota and Yamaha's relationship goes a lot deeper and further back than just by what percentage of shares they own. You will find that Yamaha is far more interwound into Toyota than Fuji-Heavy (Subaru) for instance, of Who Toyota is the largest shareholder at 16.x% and there I go off topic so I'll just shut up now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Except that when you start hosing in port injected fueling, your chemical quench reduces and disturbs combustion wavefront/pressure uniformity. The result is you cannot run as much boost versus DI. This is why, in addition to making the engine cheaper, as shown in the picture above, the DIT-1.6 has DI-only.

It's a bit disappointing to read MotoIQ spewing bad tuning practices. A good tuner will continue to use the direct injectors at WOT assuming they can delivery the fuel mass.
I'm not sure if they were prescribing shutting down the DI or just using the port injectors to augment the fueling.....
Old 12-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #63
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
a couple things:

according to the autoblog 1st drive review of the brz, the fa20 DOES have AVCS. that's the only source i've seen mention it so i have no idea how accurate that statement is.

it's true that subaru initially didn't want d-4s, but it's also true that initially subaru wasn't aiming for 100 hp/liter or 200hp. they were literally planning to do nothing but stick the fb20 in there as is. it was chief engineer tada-san's insistence on a 100hp/liter engine with good gas mileage which led to the development of a brand new engine with d-4s and 86x86 square bore/stroke. initially subaru had their doubts whether d-4s really had such potential while toyota had doubts that subaru would be able to build a d-4s compatible block that would meet the specifications, but they got 200hp on their first try, which removed any doubts on both sides.

this is all info from the japanese press brochure that was passed out at the debut.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2565

Last edited by cyde01; 12-07-2011 at 05:04 PM.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #64
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
a couple things:

according to the autoblog 1st drive review of the brz, the fa20 DOES have AVCS. that's the only source i've seen mention it so i have no idea how accurate that statement is.
This is great news if it is true. Hopefully we will get more confirmation in the future (i.e. official).

Quote:
it's true that subaru initially didn't want d-4s, but it's also true that initially subaru wasn't aiming for 100 hp/liter or 200hp. they were literally planning to do nothing but stick the fb20 in there as is. it was chief engineer tada-san's insistence on a 100hp/liter engine with good gas mileage which led to the development of a brand new engine with d-4s and 86x86 square bore/stroke. initially subaru had their doubts whether d-4s really had such potential while toyota had doubts that subaru would be able to build a d-4s compatible block that would meet the specifications, but they got 200hp on their first try, which removed any doubts and both sides.

this is all info from the japanese press brochure that was passed out at the debut.

I am happy that Subaru and Toyota were able to work out their differences and create this car. I'm sure it was difficult for the two teams to come together and create this, especially with their different ideas of what the car should be. But it sounds like they did a great job and pulled it off. Will just have to wait until we can test drive it for ourselves.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #65
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
a couple things:

it's true that subaru initially didn't want d-4s, but it's also true that initially subaru wasn't aiming for 100 hp/liter or 200hp. they were literally planning to do nothing but stick the fb20 in there as is. it was chief engineer tada-san's insistence on a 100hp/liter engine with good gas mileage which led to the development of a brand new engine with d-4s and 86x86 square bore/stroke. initially subaru had their doubts whether d-4s really had such potential while toyota had doubts that subaru would be able to build a d-4s compatible block that would meet the specifications, but they got 200hp on their first try, which removed any doubts on both sides.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2565
:happy0180:
Great stuff.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #66
NorCalRider

Drives: 2009 Toytoa Tacoma 4x4 Dbl Cab LB
All these people still wondering if the ecu is tunable need not worry. There are pics of Crawford Performance at the Scion event logging into the frs ecu and dl'ing info. Crawford talks some about it on there FB page.
1994 Honda Civic HB TurboCharged Track Car
NorCalRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #67
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Not in the Western sense, no. But their history together goes back like 40 years. And Japanese business relationships are different.

Yamaha is part of the Toyota family. As is Subaru, Denso, Aisin, etc...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #68
Homemade WRX
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Drives: BRZ has a reserved space
The MotoIQ site was simply stating an easy means to getting more fueling via port injection but leaving what you can with GDI.
I already have pieces in play for getting larger injectors, working with injector contact at the OEM level and aftermarket level as well as being on beta testing lists for two different EM companies...I'm really hoping my SOA contacts can get me permission to plug up and raid the ROM however.

Oh and the motor is clearing dual AVCS as well, for those wondering about it.

-Micah

P.S. As for Subaru testing GDI, I have some lovely W20 (EJ20 with dual AVCS) heads that are tapped fro GDI. I had a customer come across the prototype heads and sent them to me. So I suspect they started the project on a turbo EJ series engine before the FA or possibly before this project was truly focused.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #69
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade WRX View Post
The MotoIQ site was simply stating an easy means to getting more fueling via port injection but leaving what you can with GDI.
I already have pieces in play for getting larger injectors, working with injector contact at the OEM level and aftermarket level as well as being on beta testing lists for two different EM companies...I'm really hoping my SOA contacts can get me permission to plug up and raid the ROM however.

Oh and the motor is clearing dual AVCS as well, for those wondering about it.

-Micah

P.S. As for Subaru testing GDI, I have some lovely W20 (EJ20 with dual AVCS) heads that are tapped fro GDI. I had a customer come across the prototype heads and sent them to me. So I suspect they started the project on a turbo EJ series engine before the FA or possibly before this project was truly focused.

I'd start with doing some D4-S research rather than pricing bigger port injectors. Current 2GRFSE's D4-S runs on DI alone at full throttle. And it has varied injector use % at different load/rpm ranges. It's not 50/50 port/DI all the time.

If it's as simple as it just has 2 maps (DI and port) then being able to activate the port injectors at full throttle may be all that is needed for enrichment. Pending pump capacity, of course.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #70
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade WRX View Post
As long as you understand that adding port fueling will likely lower chemical quench and reduce combustion uniformity. Otherwise, it's foolish advice.

Tags
86 forum, 86 forums, brz forum, brz forums, fr-s forum, fr-s forums, frs forum, frs forums, scion fr-s forum, scion fr-s forums, scion frs forum, scion frs forums, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums, toyota 86 forum, toyota 86 forums