follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 11-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #15
PointDSM

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
George,

Welcome back to STX, woohoo! I just sold my SSC car to a gentleman in Chicago Region, and I was the last SSC car in Wisconsin (so please stay in STX and use the shocks that you already have to make things easy). Wheels are maxed to 9" for a STX twin, with 255's being a bit pinched (especially if they keep the Yoko's legal for 2020). I would say stay in the 2015-2016 range, under 30k miles, and pick the color you like

- Eric Niemi (met you up at Sawyer with Peter)
PointDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:31 PM   #16
oofie

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Also looking to buy a BRZ for autox...was thinking of going SSC but posts here make it sound like a bad idea?
oofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:00 AM   #17
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oofie View Post
Also looking to buy a BRZ for autox...was thinking of going SSC but posts here make it sound like a bad idea?
Not everyone loves the package, rumor is new tires next year from Falken but unconfirmed. Some people are real happy with it. Try and test drive before you commit imho since a new set of SSC equipment is almost the same cost as a cheap and competitive STX build. If you want a national competitive build without the hassle of piecing together the parts and tuning it all then it's a great easy button.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
oofie (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 01:08 AM   #18
oofie

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Not everyone loves the package, rumor is new tires next year from Falken but unconfirmed. Some people are real happy with it. Try and test drive before you commit imho since a new set of SSC equipment is almost the same cost as a cheap and competitive STX build. If you want a national competitive build without the hassle of piecing together the parts and tuning it all then it's a great easy button.
Thanks! Was planning on getting a car for next season then running in DS with only wheels tires for a half a year or so and decide which class to go to after. Not really sure I want to deal with tuning/suspension as I know there's a lot in my driving to improve still.
oofie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oofie For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 07:09 AM   #19
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My honest take on SSC:

I've ran the class the last 2 seasons. Ran a national schedule. Traveled all over. Had some decent results the first year, but bombed nats. Struggled the second season, in part because I lost interest in driving the car, but was still running events.

Good: Spec class, so there can be really good competition. The tire for the first 2 season was cheap. Package gives you a sporty looking very streetable car. Relatively affordable and might be close to what car enthusiast might choose on their own. Many say the car is fun to autocross.

Bad: If you are expecting STX lite, you will be disappointed. The sway bars are huge. The car is lowered and softly sprung with stock length shocks. The rear end links are bound up. You can't really use the soft setting for the rear bar. If you set up soft, the car slams onto the bumpstops when you pick up throttle, making it unpredictable on corner exit. The tires that we've ran the first 2 years are really bad at power down and blended inputs, so it requires a driving style that doesn't work or isn't fun for some people. This may (should?) improve. For many of the courses I ran, the stock power/stock gearing meant that I ran out of 2nd gear, but might not necessarily have the power to stick fast offsets in 3rd gear. So it was very common to run courses where we were on the limiter for half the course. Or more.

If you aren't expecting a Street Touring driving experience, it probably isn't bad. Many people seem to like it.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steverife For This Useful Post:
oofie (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #20
Mball19

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD/SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
Oh and, not that it'll have any chance at being competitive at all, but a 17+ 86 with TRD springs, bars, and wheels is now the best twin for Street class.

That is my plan with my 2019. What front bar do people typically run with the TRD rear bar?
Mball19 is offline   Reply With Quote