follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-24-2017, 11:46 AM   #1
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question License plate relocations options that dont comprimise integrity

http://www.subispeed.com/grimmspeed-plate-relocation

I was looking at this one. Then I realized that if someone bumps me during parking, that would severely screw up the device, push metal against the car, and destroy the screw hole that the tow bar goes into, aka: destroying much.

So that option is just out. I only would use the bracket when I have to park in New York City on the street. That is the only time it would surely be crushed and do massive damage for a slight tap.

Any other suggestions for license plate holders that would not scratch, crush, or etc the car? I saw the magnetic option. I dont think that would work in NY City. People really live in the middle of nowhere and have a lot of unique options that only work in the middle of nowhere. I cannot find one that would work other than drilling through the bumper and making it look like crap. Suggestions? comments and experience on any of them is also good.
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #2
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I use a mount from Skene Designs that I had from my Camry. It says its a drill less mount but it actually designed to drill in a place where you dont see the holes if it removed. It is also adustable up, down, and tilt.

I made a couple holes into the grille area and you cant see the holes unless you get really close to it.

You could do something like that and drill under the mustache of the BRZ. This way when you take it off you cant see the holes.

Something like this. They have one for the 2017 BRZ too.

KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KnightRyderx2 For This Useful Post:
JoeC (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Perrin makes one that's a little more beefy

http://perrinperformance.com/i-17371...N6saAlq78P8HAQ

Honestly if some one has enough force to "crush" it there doing a hell of a lot more damage to your car then destroying the tow screw hole.
VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If someone backs into your license plate/mount and deforms it, nothing is going to prevent scrapes to the bumper cover. I actually think that the tow hook one is your best option as it stands out further, and should stand up to a bumper tap. I bought the skene before i came up with the magnetic design, and the skene will mark the bumper if the license plate is pushed back so it contacts. my magnetic one will mark it, but it's plastic-plastic contact. I've covered the contact point with vinyl so the bumper is protected somewhat.

by the way, los angeles isn't really 'in the middle of nowhere'. that being said, i do NOT parallel park my car if i can help it.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
willimusk

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP CWP
I bought the Skene, although I won't mount it until I get a ticket. The tow-hole mounts look weird to me. The magnetic mount, though ingenious, is just too involved for my taste. The Skene appears to be a simple, solid compromise that keeps the plate in the center while minimizing unsightly holes in the bumper. I'll probably add a lightweight backer frame, too, to keep the plate from bending under wind pressure, should I ever have to mount it.
willimusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
~el~jefe~
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by willimusk View Post
I bought the Skene, although I won't mount it until I get a ticket. The tow-hole mounts look weird to me. The magnetic mount, though ingenious, is just too involved for my taste. The Skene appears to be a simple, solid compromise that keeps the plate in the center while minimizing unsightly holes in the bumper. I'll probably add a lightweight backer frame, too, to keep the plate from bending under wind pressure, should I ever have to mount it.

This is a genius proposal, funny as hell too. Yes, being that the fix-it tickets are $0 dollar fines if fixed, one can ride around without the thing until one gets a ticket.

However: Parking. I believe I can get a fine and not a fix-it ticket for parking with only one plate on. Anyone know if this is the case?
Old 04-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #7
~el~jefe~
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
If someone backs into your license plate/mount and deforms it, nothing is going to prevent scrapes to the bumper cover. I actually think that the tow hook one is your best option as it stands out further, and should stand up to a bumper tap. I bought the skene before i came up with the magnetic design, and the skene will mark the bumper if the license plate is pushed back so it contacts. my magnetic one will mark it, but it's plastic-plastic contact. I've covered the contact point with vinyl so the bumper is protected somewhat.

by the way, los angeles isn't really 'in the middle of nowhere'. that being said, i do NOT parallel park my car if i can help it.
there is not parking in New York City for under $36 for a little while unless you parallel park a car.

Yeah, drilled holes are looking better. That or the magnetic solution. Parking now is the issue. Driving violation is an easy fix. the one you have with magnets using OEM seems the best, so long as you can isolate the back plate from rubbing a lot. Wouldnt just putting a wide piece of black form on the back of the bracket work? or that still grinds probably. I would have to figure out how to get behind the bumper like you did.
The Following User Says Thank You to ~el~jefe~ For This Useful Post:
shiumai (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #8
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~el~jefe~ View Post
However: Parking. I believe I can get a fine and not a fix-it ticket for parking with only one plate on. Anyone know if this is the case?
In California its not a fix-it parked without front licence plate. Fine.

$25 first violation
VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #9
sirbobbinhood

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I have the Perrin kit and it's actually super sturdy. I had a guy rip my bumper off and the only thing that kept one side on was the license plate mount. I've also bounced a few cones off it autocrossing with no problems.

Picture of the car after it was hit. It didn't even bend the bracket.

sirbobbinhood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sirbobbinhood For This Useful Post:
~el~jefe~ (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #10
Yanbags

Drives: '17 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
I played my luck and eventually they got me. I got an orange parking ticket for the no front plate and yes, it's not a fix-it ticket. Ended up getting the grimmspeed tow-hook mount.
Yanbags is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yanbags For This Useful Post:
~el~jefe~ (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #11
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
the one you have with magnets using OEM seems the best, so long as you can isolate the back plate from rubbing a lot. Wouldnt just putting a wide piece of black form on the back of the bracket work? or that still grinds probably. I would have to figure out how to get behind the bumper like you did.
Foam on the back of the bracket might still mar, I think. Over time, dust/dirt would be between the foam and the bumper and rub some marks into the soft plastic of the bumper cover. The best solution is just to protect the bumper cover with some replaceable vinyl wrap. i haven't run my magnetic mount daily in a few months - the vinyl wrap is almost unnoticeable. i only put my front license plate back on when i'm parking in a city where they ticket for no front license plates.

if you read the magnetic mount thread, one guy was able to slide the magnets behind the bumper without removing the bumper. but then, they weren't secured in place.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #12
~el~jefe~
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanbags View Post
I played my luck and eventually they got me. I got an orange parking ticket for the no front plate and yes, it's not a fix-it ticket. Ended up getting the grimmspeed tow-hook mount.
oh jeez. Yeah. Thanks for the information. Fix-it is the one I can deal with and avoid, but the parking, that's ny shity for you.

if you don't parallel park, the tow hook mount is cool. I think I will have to. I go to a lot of clubs in Manhattan. I do not park close but I do park in parallel. Tow hook would cause massive chain reaction for what would otherwise be a small mark if at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to ~el~jefe~ For This Useful Post:
Yanbags (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #13
~el~jefe~
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
Foam on the back of the bracket might still mar, I think. Over time, dust/dirt would be between the foam and the bumper and rub some marks into the soft plastic of the bumper cover. The best solution is just to protect the bumper cover with some replaceable vinyl wrap. i haven't run my magnetic mount daily in a few months - the vinyl wrap is almost unnoticeable. i only put my front license plate back on when i'm parking in a city where they ticket for no front license plates.

if you read the magnetic mount thread, one guy was able to slide the magnets behind the bumper without removing the bumper. but then, they weren't secured in place.
It does seem to be a good solution. I think it is either: OEM mount as usual, or your magnet thing. I see how the skene is kind of cool, but would cut in on one light push. Those magnets hold it straight, no tilt at higher speeds? If i was planning on going super speeds, I would simply take it off I guess.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #14
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
http://www.licenseplatebracketcentra...-plate-holder/
Dialkyl (04-24-2017)