follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
Maxim

Drives: 2010 GTI 2dr Tornado Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Heritage....inside?

After looking at the FT-86 from all angles, and enjoying it in Gran Turismo 5 (soon as I get my PS3 connected I'll have to start racing with a few of you...), I've noticed that it actually bears some striking resemblances to the last-gen Celica.

The headlights, and especially the squared off rear shape that leads into the tail lights.....they look like the Celica to me. I'm aware that the car is completely different and meant to be a spiritual successor to the last RWD Corolla...but damn. It looks like a Celica to me.

Anyways, even if nobody else sees it, it got me thinking: What other classic Toyota heritage cues could be incorporated into the car? Especially inside.

Heritage cues tend to give cars some personal flavor that, IMO, a lot of Japanese vehicles sorely lack. One of my favorite features in my own car, a 2010 GTI, are the seats: Classic plaid, like the original. No other car has it, and it's just freakin' cool.

Does the AE86, or perhaps the Celica, have anything unique in terms of it's interior that would be neat to incorporate into the new vehicle? A seat style, or a dash layout, or something else that would really give it some character? The interior on the FT-86 concept is rubbish...pure fancy, and totally unsuitable for production, so you KNOW that it's going to be completely different. I'm hoping some character could be built into the car there.

What would you guys like to see? You're all experts on these cars, much more so than me.
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
You can say that FT-86 is the AE86's successor, but the design is nothing like AE86 or Celica IMO. I see it resembles of nothing from Toyota. Some cues of the interior may be made into production, so I don't say it's not suitable for production.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:05 AM   #3
Maxim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
You can say that FT-86 is the AE86's successor, but the design is nothing like AE86 or Celica IMO. I see it resembles of nothing from Toyota. Some cues of the interior may be made into production, so I don't say it's not suitable for production.
Oh I have no doubt that some of the interior will be influenced by the concept...but most of it is fanciful concept car stuff. I'd actually be disappointed if the kept it much like the concept...it's honestly too busy and overly designed. Chevrolet made this mistake with the new camaro interior...they tried to keep it close to the concept and it suffered for it.

Anyways...are there any cues from Toyota sports cars from the past that an of you would like to see?

(as an aside, I can see lots of Toyota design cues in the ft86...it has elements of the LFA in it, as well as many cues from the various sports car concepts that they've done)
Old 01-03-2011, 03:12 AM   #4
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
Oh I have no doubt that some of the interior will be influenced by the concept...but most of it is fanciful concept car stuff. I'd actually be disappointed if the kept it much like the concept...it's honestly too busy and overly designed. Chevrolet made this mistake with the new camaro interior...they tried to keep it close to the concept and it suffered for it.

Anyways...are there any cues from Toyota sports cars from the past that an of you would like to see?

(as an aside, I can see lots of Toyota design cues in the ft86...it has elements of the LFA in it, as well as many cues from the various sports car concepts that they've done)
True that it has Toyota design in it because it's a Toyota, but I don't see any other cues from other Toyota car except... well... the legendary LFA. It may have a little bit of everything from the past cars, but it does not fully resemble of anything. It's still a Toyota, it's still Japanese, but it's a step up.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:53 AM   #5
Maxim

Quote:
True that it has Toyota design in it because it's a Toyota, but I don't see any other cues from other Toyota car except... well... the legendary LFA. It may have a little bit of everything from the past cars, but it does not fully resemble of anything. It's still a Toyota, it's still Japanese, but it's a step up.
Yes it's definitely a step in the right direction design wise. I think the only element I don't like is the lower front facia. It's too solid. It needs larger brake cooling ducts, or some kind of matte black lip appliqué to break it up. The g version looks much better up front.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
what is busy about the interior? its one of the simplest and most efficient interiers i have seen to date.. EVERYTHING is within the reach while keeping hands on the wheel.. (apart from the shifter, which is in its PROPER place, column shifters are gay)
Old 01-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
Maxim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
what is busy about the interior? its one of the simplest and most efficient interiers i have seen to date.. EVERYTHING is within the reach while keeping hands on the wheel.. (apart from the shifter, which is in its PROPER place, column shifters are gay)
Well, frankly, I think it looks like the inside of an android's womb. Not a place I'd like to be.

Really though, nothing about that interior is production. The seats wouldn't meet crash standards, the whole thing looks like a cliche'd space age mess, and every single piece is a one-off. If they wanna release this car at the price point they claim, there's going to be a whole lot of parts-bin raiding from various Toyota and Subaru vehicles. Expect a Corolla steering wheel with the familiar on-wheel volume/cruise buttons, the same wiper and light stalks on the column, and the same HVAC controls as the Corolla, or a similarly small Toyota vehicle.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
The steering wheel has shown up in the Yaris and Zela ?(Scion tC) since. minus the flat bottom of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim View Post

I think the only thing not production ready about it are the zippers and possibly the display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
For me, take out the zippers and the interior is perfect. Utilitarian, spartan, but effective and not cheap or bland. Driver oriented, but still with everything you need at hand and no useless bits to take up space and add weight. Quite Lotus like.

In other words, almost perfect. Especially if it helps Toyota ease up on the price.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Maxim, you don't want classic Toyota interior. Speaking from owing an '87 Supra with 'beautiful' burgundy interior. Uggh...

As for the concept. Lose the zippers, and the white.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Maxim, you don't want classic Toyota interior. Speaking from owing an '87 Supra with 'beautiful' burgundy interior. Uggh...

Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post

Yeah, gotta lose the zippers. That thing gonna break in less than an yr. White interior gonna be nightmare to maintain. Maybe GT-R's black interior w red stitching might looks good.