follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 12-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #15
Billylammerkins

Drives: 2014 Firestorm Red FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I really hate when people try and compare the car to something like a EVO or a WRX, its seriously like comparing liquor and beer. One is for some serious driving, and the other one is for everyday fun.
Billylammerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Billylammerkins For This Useful Post:
Ammunition (12-17-2013), Demandred7 (12-17-2013), Sonolin (02-07-2014)
Old 12-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #16
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Drives: '14 BRZ - WRB Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I got the gen coupe once, camaro/mustang a few times, I usually replied with, "I'll buy a boat when I go to the lake tyvm."

Another time I was asked, "Isn't that care slow? It doesn't have much hp for a sports car." My response was more or less along the lines of, "Well, I turned South onto Mopac off Parmer ln at 60 mph, that mustang gt that was keeping up before turned into a spec in my review though."

I always get these looks of awe struck revelation / mind blown / picking jaw up from off the floor. When I was shopping this car, I was also looking at the WRX. After test driving both, I knew I would enjoy both. The deciding factor was I knew I would not look back in regret with the 86, but I wasn't sure about that if I went with the WRX. Still haven't looked back.

... his name is...

C'THULHU
Turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turkish For This Useful Post:
JohnJuan (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 01:01 AM   #17
Darkrune

Drives: 2017 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylammerkins View Post
I really hate when people try and compare the car to something like a EVO or a WRX, its seriously like comparing liquor and beer. One is for some serious driving, and the other one is for everyday fun.
I don't agree with this. Unless you are saying the BRZ is for serious driving and the EVO/WRX is for fun. Honestly, the EVO is not very fun to drive. I had more fun driving a MS3.
Darkrune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:04 AM   #18
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I got a "that's what I paid for my charger"
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:11 AM   #19
Opethfan

Drives: FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFRS View Post
"Dude. You should have bought..."

Fill in the blank. :-)

It seems that for each person who has done their reading and loves the Twins, there is someone who just has to try to make you second-guess your decision. I live in Northwestern Washington where almost everyone drives a Subaru (plastered with bumper stickers) so the one I get most often is: "Why didn't you get the Subaru". But I've also had other imported models thrown out there as well, depending on what their preferences are. Just wondering if anyone else got the same unasked-for-advice after purchasing their car...

You should take it as a complement when people do that. Because you know what they really want to say is " I wish I waited and got an FRS/BRZ instead of ____" lol

And to be honest if I wanted to be smart I would have got a AWD car because I live in VT. But its a fun sports car and I am about style more than numbers or sensibility haha. So I have a FRS and a 04 4door accord for the winter. Trust me people are jealous that our car's look so sexy and they were not willing to sacrifice with a winter car or other things to buy one.
When people ask me why I did not go with the Subaru I simply say it was a style difference. I don't care about any of the added perks of electric start or better stereo they just bring the cost up. It all came down to the bumper for me lol. I was torn though because I love the Subaru blue lol. But the old 3rd Supra I had was pearl white so it was an easy choice once I thought about that.

I will never second guess my purchase of this car. People will argue with you no matter what you do. So just do what makes you happy.
Opethfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:32 AM   #20
Billylammerkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrune View Post
I don't agree with this. Unless you are saying the BRZ is for serious driving and the EVO/WRX is for fun. Honestly, the EVO is not very fun to drive. I had more fun driving a MS3.
Im saying that the WRX/EVO is like liquor while the FRS/BRZ are like beer. Beer is something you can drink everyday casually, and still have a great time for a great price just like the FRS/BRZ. Liquor is something you NORMALLY drink if you want to get hammered quickly and have a quick thrill, but for a price. Just like the EVO/WRX.

Of course there are going to be people who think the EVO/WRX and the FRS/BRZ are both inexpensive, but for a 20 year old they're both great cars to have
Old 12-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #21
Opethfan

Drives: FRS
Garage
Smile

Quote:
Of course there are going to be people who think the EVO/WRX and the FRS/BRZ are both inexpensive, but for a 20 year old they're both great cars to have
Any 20yo kid who can buy a 20k+ car is lucky as hell. I was driving a $3500 Eagle Talon at your age. I drove that thing to death too.
Opethfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Opethfan For This Useful Post:
onefitz (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 02:28 AM   #22
Billylammerkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opethfan View Post
Any 20yo kid who can buy a 20k+ car is lucky as hell. I was driving a $3500 Eagle Talon at your age. I drove that thing to death too.
There was no luck at all. When I was 18 I worked my ass off to pay for a $2000 Integra that could barely make it to work and back. 2 years later I've been working my ass off and building my credit to the point where I could finally afford basically any sub $40k car. Started from the bottom now we're here.

I really love when people ask me how much parents spent on this car, because I shit on them when I tell them I got it on my own.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:45 AM   #23
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Quote:
There was no luck at all. When I was 18 I worked my ass off to pay for a $2000 Integra that could barely make it to work and back. 2 years later I've been working my ass off and building my credit to the point where I could finally afford basically any sub $40k car. Started from the bottom now we're here.

I really love when people ask me how much parents spent on this car, because I shit on them when I tell them I got it on my own.
Who even says that? Only place I've seen shit like that is the internet. And no one does that unless you go advertising your age inviting trolls.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZionsWrath For This Useful Post:
husker741 (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 03:03 AM   #24
Billylammerkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Who even says that? Only place I've seen shit like that is the internet. And no one does that unless you go advertising your age inviting trolls.
Ask me how many fucks I give
Old 12-17-2013, 03:15 AM   #25
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Stop making us younger ones look like idiots. If you're proud of yourself, you shouldn't have to explain your shit to anyone. And by the way, I don't care how many fucks you give about this post.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to husker741 For This Useful Post:
Ammonia (12-17-2013), Turkish (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 03:29 AM   #26
Billylammerkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
Stop making us younger ones look like idiots. If you're proud of yourself, you shouldn't have to explain your shit to anyone. And by the way, I don't care how many fucks you give about this post.
Apparently you care enough to post something and waste your own time trying to make me look bad.

When somebody says you're "lucky" when I know I worked my ass off, I tell them otherwise. It's like thanking jesus after a surgery that a surgeon has been working on for 5-10 hours. Its nonsense. If you truly don't care then don't respond to this post.
The Following User Says Thank You to Billylammerkins For This Useful Post:
Knickstape (12-21-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 03:59 AM   #27
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Quote:
About what?
Old 12-17-2013, 04:15 AM   #28
mfbmike

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2008 R32
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I had a lot of people insist I should've gotten a Golf R or something Audi after my VW R32.

I realize, most people try to "project" themselves onto you and want you to drive the car they want you to drive, if that makes any sense, rather than being completely happy for the choice YOU made for YOURSELF. I suppose in some ways I suppose most of those people would've loved to have seen how I mod a golf R considering how much I modded my R32 and documented said mods.

It also extends to the way you mod your car for example. It's not uncommon to have friends insisting I lower it, bag it, i.e. mod it in a way completely opposite to how I am doing so (I've got meaty tires and only ~1.5" drop and build my car to drive the piss out of it).
mfbmike is offline   Reply With Quote