follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 12-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #57
orthojoe

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Interesting thread. I'll make this thread one of my inaugural posts as well. I'm currently waiting arrive of my WRB Limited BRZ. This car is to replace my current DD/track car, an Evo X MR. However, I also own a Boxster spyder, which for all intents and purposes is almost identical to a Cayman R (minus the roof, of course).

It will be interesting see to what I think once I get the car, drive, and track it. However, currently I don't think there's anyway the BRZ will trump my spyder on any front. You cannot beat the sound of a flat 6. You just can't. There's no way a BRZ will outperform a 987.2, but we all know that's not the point. The BRZ is a fantastic looking car, but won't hold up next to a cayman R or spyder. I plan on holding onto my spyder forever. I currently think that the cost of entry for a 987.2 is definitely worth it, but we will see what I think after I take delivery of my BRZ.

Why did I chose to get a BRZ? After tracking cars for 3 years, I've learned that a fast car on the street is totally pointless. You can never reach the limits of a car on public roads unless you're being a total idiot. My modified Evo was a monster, but overkill for use as a daily driver. I have the spyder for a fun weekend/track car, but I wanted a fun car to use everyday that wouldn't break the bank. Great reviews, great gas mileage, great looks, great performance, great price, and two small seats in the back that I can put my kids in: BRZ fit the bill for me.

I'm really looking forward to getting the car and participating in more discussion here!

BTW, here's a video of my spyder at Laguna Seca. I ran consistent 1:45 lap times that day. FF to 0:58 to hear what the car sounds like. Intoxicating. I learned recently that the AiM Solo DL is compatible with the BRZ ECU, so I'll be making similar videos with the BRZ.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wyo5I9iQKc"]Boxster Spyder @ Laguna Seca 1:45 lap time - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by orthojoe; 12-09-2012 at 05:41 PM.
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #58
rhoyle

Drives: BRZ SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
It will be interesting to what I think once I get the car, drive, and track it. However, currently I don't think there's anyway the BRZ will trump my spyder on any front.
The only front that matters, and frankly, the only one where the BRZ has a chance, is the fun factor. I find the BRZ to be more fun to drive than I did my Cayman S. I haven't been to the track yet in the BRZ, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I'm sure I'll be slower in the BRZ than I was in the Cayman, but you don't have to have the lowest lap time to have the most fun.
rhoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #59
orthojoe

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyle View Post
The only front that matters, and frankly, the only one where the BRZ has a chance, is the fun factor. I find the BRZ to be more fun to drive than I did my Cayman S. I haven't been to the track yet in the BRZ, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I'm sure I'll be slower in the BRZ than I was in the Cayman, but you don't have to have the lowest lap time to have the most fun.
Agree with what you say. I'm looking forward to finding out for myself!
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #60
n8dog11914

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Awesome video orthojoe! My dad has a Boxster and loves it.
n8dog11914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #61
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Well I have to admit, I've stopped thinking about a Cayman S. The financial burden that comes with it is just too much, and I've decided that I need at rear seat (purely for my dog).

Thus...BRZ!

But let's not get carried away here with BRZ love. The Cayman is superior in many respects:
-handling
-horsepower
-engine note
-looks (though that's objective)

But the BRZ definitely wins a few:
-operating expense
-insurance
-cargo capacity (just barely)
-gas mileage

It's just that the Cayman is better in all the emotional aspects
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
jkamelo (10-07-2021)