follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #141
FRSFirestorm
Red is Fastest

Drives: 13 FRS 6MT Firestorm
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
^^ Good question.
FRSFirestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #142
DriftEightSix
Pegasus White

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Seen this post: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=10

and I was wondering if anyone can tell us if you were able to make the changes with techstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proficience View Post
I found one on ebay here

Do you know what other things you can configure with Techstream? I have a few things in mind that would be great!
  • power folding mirrors linked to the ignition..
  • preventing the DRLs from dimming when in parkers/low beams modes
  • DRLs linked to the proximity key detection area (i.e. DRLs come on when dome lights first come on instead of waiting for handbrake down)
  • auto-locking when key is out of the detection zone
  • auto-locking at >30km/h etc
  • 'Guide me home' low beams that stay on for a few minutes after car is turned off
  • automatic door unlock when car is turned off
  • automatic window closing on lock
  • Beeps when car is locked/unlocked
  • automatic left-mirror parking assist on reverse selection

EDIT: also where is the OBDII port on these cars? should be <2feet away from the steering wheel right? I'll have a crawl under soon...

EDIT2: I found your thread . Thanks for the info there. I'll look into getting one and seeing what it can do. They are pretty cheap.
proficience (01-07-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #143
FRSFirestorm
Red is Fastest

Drives: 13 FRS 6MT Firestorm
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Just got my cable and 7.31 version from China. I've spent about 20 minutes playing with it on the car. It doesn't appear to want to connect to the ECU's and when I quit I wound up with a CEL light on that I couldn't figure out how to clear with TechStream. Wound up plugging in my cheapo code reader and clearing them.

Obviously I'm not impressed with it so far.
FRSFirestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #144
Boosted2.0

Drives: 13 FR-S, 00 Spyder&Celica, 08 Tundr
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron256 View Post
Is anyone using a Tactrix Openport 2.0 cable with Techstream, and if so have you been able to program TPMS ID's with it? I'm thinking about spending the $170 for a Tactrix cable, but only if I can confirm it will program TPMS.
Do you know what communications protocol it uses? Techstream software only supports the factory protocol and the one use by drew technologies for the MFC and Techstream Lite cables.
Boosted2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #145
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted2.0 View Post
Do you know what communications protocol it uses? Techstream software only supports the factory protocol and the one use by drew technologies for the MFC and Techstream Lite cables.
Tactrix confirms on their website that Openport 2.0 does work with Techstream. I'm just trying to confirm that if they have the same issues as the chinaese knockoff cables when it comes to programming TPMS ID's.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #146
elrod

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
I downloaded 7.20.041. It includes instructions for activation (replace Main Menu file, then use some keys to activate).

I replace the Main Menu file, run Techstream, but when I go to the activation menu, I input the supplied keys and hitting software activation opens a webpage. Well, that webpage never connects. I close the webpage and go back to activation window. I click ok and nothing happens... Then, eveytime i try to connect to the car, it tells me i have X amount of days (now at 25) for using techstream without activating it.

Anyone has any idea what am I doing wrong?
Did you ever get any help on this issue? I just got the ebay cable/sw and I have very similar results.
elrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #147
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrod View Post
Did you ever get any help on this issue? I just got the ebay cable/sw and I have very similar results.
Run the MVC or MVCI (or however its called) driver update. Running that update finally got my TIS to work again.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #148
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
If this program had a face, I would punch it. Even though its not so much the program

I bought the linked cable/cd from ebay. I have a windows 7 laptop, So I had to run Virtual PC since Techstream will only work on windows XP. Well, I can't get the goddamn computer to recognize the cable. I've tried everything, every setting, even tried using virtualbox instead, and I still can't get it to work. Program opens up fine and all, but it won't connect since it doesn't see the driver. Can't use the driver update. Driver installs fine.

SOO frustrating. I usually can figure this kind of stuff out but I haven't looked at it in a few days. I've searched online for hours with people with the same problem, tried all the solutions, and still nothing.

I bought this stupid PC laptop because I wanted to datalog and use techstream. I should have just bought another mac laptop like I wanted to and ran parallels or equivalent and life would be great right now
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #149
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I run techstream via virtual box on my MacBook with no issues. You have to make sure you get the correct drivers though. There are lots floating around, the 'mongoose' ones worked for me.

On a side note: the j2534 cables that come with these kits can be easily hacked to work as an openport (no hardware, just a software hack) with any other software that normally requires an openport uuid like brzedit for $25 vs. $160+. I won't release the patch for fear of a lawsuit, but suffice to say that tactrix's authentication mechanism is easily defeated.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #150
elrod

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Run the MVC or MVCI (or however its called) driver update. Running that update finally got my TIS to work again.
Thanks for the response. However, I had no success trying the MVCI Firmware Update Tool. It simply sez unable to connect to update server.

When running Techstream, and connect to vehicle, it first tells me that I have (now) 28 more times to use before having to register software. Later when it finally connects, it sez it cannot connect to tis website and some features will not work - I must click continue. Then it seems to allow all the customizations that have been discussed and looking at lots of data.
elrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #151
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrod View Post
Thanks for the response. However, I had no success trying the MVCI Firmware Update Tool. It simply sez unable to connect to update server.

When running Techstream, and connect to vehicle, it first tells me that I have (now) 28 more times to use before having to register software. Later when it finally connects, it sez it cannot connect to tis website and some features will not work - I must click continue. Then it seems to allow all the customizations that have been discussed and looking at lots of data.
After running the MVCI update tool, Techstream did not ask me again for activation, it simply worked
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #152
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
I run techstream via virtual box on my MacBook with no issues. You have to make sure you get the correct drivers though. There are lots floating around, the 'mongoose' ones worked for me.

On a side note: the j2534 cables that come with these kits can be easily hacked to work as an openport (no hardware, just a software hack) with any other software that normally requires an openport uuid like brzedit for $25 vs. $160+. I won't release the patch for fear of a lawsuit, but suffice to say that tactrix's authentication mechanism is easily defeated.
Yeah I have the correct ones...just still can't get it to work.

Thats what I get for buying a stupid PC lol
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #153
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
Yeah I have the correct ones...just still can't get it to work.

Thats what I get for buying a stupid PC lol
did you get it from the ebay reseller based in the US? i believe there is only one...
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #154
CamryDS

Drives: 2003 Camry Blue | 2013 FR-S White
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
32 Bit (in a VM via Parallels), although it also worked on my GF's laptop with Vista.
both machines use similar kernels windows 7 and vista.

Thanks for confirming that it works on a vm environment too =) time for me to reinstall parallels.
CamryDS is offline   Reply With Quote