follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2015, 05:17 PM   #1
exam2300

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel Kit - Build

Delicious Flex Fuel Kit

The JRSC install by CSG back in Mar/2014 and it was a much needed addition from stock. Needless to say for those who do not own a FI for you FT86, please save your money and purchase one. Without one, the car is just good at best with regards to power. I’m not going to go into the driving dynamics, but just POWER.

For the past couple of weeks with Longfellas’ contribution, I have upgraded to full light weight pulleys, coil-overs, 17” wheels, aluminum drive shaft, and kartboy short shifter. So now, what else is left? I reside in CA so SMOG legal is something within consideration. Hence, exhaust only cat and back and no aftermarket headers.

So, what will be the next upgrade and the evolution to acquire more power? AHHHHH…..

E85 – Flex Fuel Kit…
There are several options out there, but the two that are worth noting are Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel Kit and MotoEast. Since I reside in S.CA, Delicious Flex Fuel Kit was the obvious choice since they are somewhat local to me.

I did my research with Bill and Zach. Let me start by saying that Bill is one of the nicest individuals that I have met in the car tuning world. His reputation precedes him, Bill is a CLASS A individual. He took the time to explain to me in full details between two to three times during my research. And each time, it was at least a 30mins consultation. Zach is a younger tech that fields the initial calls for Delicious, and overall. Zach is very knowledgeable, but Bill might want to send him to a class or two with regards to customer relations. Rule 1 – No matter how much of a subject matter expert you are, do not be little or be arrogant with a client. And after speaking with Bill, Delicious was the way to go.

Since Delicious will be installing the tune and the kit for the flex fuel. I had a couple of other things into consideration, fuel injectors and fuel pump. Long story short, at the end I only upgraded the fuel injectors and I went with 700cc. Since Infamous (Mike) was right next to Delicious (Bill), it was a no brainer for Infamous to do the work.

The initial install of the injectors by Infamous only took about an hour. Right after, they pushed my car into Delicious garage for the next step of the upgrade. Flex Fuel Kit and tune… The install took another 1 – 1.5 hrs… After all said and done and with a little refinement, Bill had my car purring like a kitty cat. Bill than nicely pointed me towards the direction of the closest E85 station and send me on my way.

E85 initial runs… Wow… The car felt much stronger for sure. And the pulls were also very strong, and needless to say I was a happy camper. I even went out and did some evening pulls and it was very fun. Please note, all this happened on a Friday and the temperature was around mid 90’s during the day and 70’s in the eve.

Day 2 – Saturday, woke up early just to give my baby a good wash and was ready for a couple solid pulls. This is when the hiccup happened. I did a normal pull after the car is warmed and around 6200 – 6500 rpm in 2nd gear, CEL came on during off throttle. Initial thought was ok, maybe this is a fluke and maybe my car is still getting use to the tune. Please note, it is still 95-97% e85 in the tank and the tank was 75% filled. I used torque pro and scan for the CEL code, it was P0200 Injector Circuit error. So not, thinking too much of it, I hit reset and off I went again. And yep, same error CEL again. And of course it had to be a Saturday. So needless to say, neither Infamous nor Delicious was answering their phones or emails. I went thru the entire weekend with full frustration for now I’m wondering what the heck could be wrong with it.

Monday couldn’t come soon enough and finally at 9:00am, Zach from Delicious answered. First his statement of stating with arrogance that, “of course no one answered cause we are not open til 9am” was not the first thing I wanted to hear. Never the less, after telling him the error code, he diagnosed it was being either an injector issue or the latest trends that has been happening with the DW injector connectors. Zach stated that the DW has been causing some of these issues and said that I need to get Infamous (Mike) to look at this right away. I followed up with a call to Infamous (Mike) and he stated he has never even heard about this issue with the DW connectors. The only positive thing that came out of him was that if it was the injectors, I would be having more CEL and error and there would be more symptoms of problems. Infamous nicely said, come on down and we will take a look. Driving the car on a like load less than 5,000 rpm should be ok.

After reshuffling my personal schedule, I made it down to them on Thursday at 8:20am on the dot. Let this be known even though Mike is a very nice person overall. This dude takes a little time to warm up and he does not seem to be an AM person. He took my car in and his crew started on it right away. His initial diagnoses was also the DW connectors. Due to the aftermarket (prob China) connectors also extends the wiring for about 3 inches, this might cause a different ohm running thru the computer and throwing an error CEL code or the connectors are so poorly made that the connectors are lose due to vibration of the motor during off throttle. Him, his crew and Bill consulted and determine the initial course of action was to eliminate the extra wiring on the DW connectors to eliminate the possible decrease of ohm/current. This process took about 2 hrs. Our goals was to test the car on a drive after this update and see if rough/high throttling would trigger the CEL error again.

I am happy to report that after this correction by Bill and Mike, the CEL during 6200-6500 rpm rev seems to be gone. I will continue to keep everyone posted. Please note, there were slight modification made to the blast plates near the injectors to fit the updated connectors and wires to the injectors.

Thank you BILL and MIKE!!!!
exam2300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You're not the only one with the injector connector problems. After I installed the injectors and bluetooth flex fuel kit by delicious, I had big issues with injector circuit open codes. It seemed to be injector circuits 2,3, and 4 were giving me issues and the car would sputter like it had a misfire. After depinning and repinning the injector connectors and making the connection tighter, no issues, but still it seems a little sketchy to me that the connectors are such junk quality. Glad to see you're up and running and welcome to the world of corn juice! I
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:18 PM   #3
exam2300

Did you install yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #4
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel Kit - Build

Ya I did. After doing the install about a few days later i got open codes. I'm actually thinking about getting the connectors you got from them

I wonder what kind of modifications they made to the plates

ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #5
exam2300

They had to mod. U might wanna get the details. I've been running it hard for the past two days. And it seems to be fine. Please keep me posted and I will do the same.

Regards.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #6
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Happy to hear you're up and running well with the harness mod It appears only to have affected the most recent batch of customers buying injectors and hopefully was just a small error in the manufacturing process. Either way, we're happy to see you both up and running smoothly now. Happy driving!

Sincerely,

Zach
Delicious Tuning
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #7
exam2300

Dont Jynx it. It's only day 2, without hot weather not the track. But I'm sure Bill and Mike thought thru it. U guys need to call DW. It cost customer extra to fix something that shouldn't have happened in the first place. I get it that Mike need to charge labor and he was more than fair and also it was not due to his installation. Nor is it Bill's fault. But somehow, it cost me the consumer to eat the extra cost of fixing something from DW.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:18 PM   #8
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by exam2300 View Post
Dont Jynx it. It's only day 2, without hot weather not the track. But I'm sure Bill and Mike thought thru it. U guys need to call DW. It cost customer extra to fix something that shouldn't have happened in the first place. I get it that Mike need to charge labor and he was more than fair and also it was not due to his installation. Nor is it Bill's fault. But somehow, it cost me the consumer to eat the extra cost of fixing something from DW.

We're definitely going to let them know about what we've seen, and hope they take the necessary steps to prevent any mishaps in the future. DW has been very good about quality control with their injector kits in the past so we'd like to believe they correct this one without any issue. We shall see! In the meantime, we hope everything continues to perform smoothly for you and without mishap.

Sincerely,

Zach
Delicious Tuning
Old 03-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #9
exam2300

They had to notch part of the plate to give room to the injectors.
The Following User Says Thank You to exam2300 For This Useful Post:
ft86me (03-22-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 01:34 PM   #10
quicksilver30

Drives: '13 LR BRZ Limited| '07 Jeep GC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Are injectors absolutely necessary for the flex fuel kit? Can we just run the stock injectors?
Old 03-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #11
exam2300

I believe it's not a must, but to really get the full investments of the flex fuel kit. You should update the injectors. I struggle with that upgrade too, but at the end I bit the bullet and just went with 700cc.

Last edited by exam2300; 03-22-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #12
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver30 View Post
Are injectors absolutely necessary for the flex fuel kit? Can we just run the stock injectors?
For NA and Innovate supercharged cars, you can stick with stock injectors. For any other supercharger or turbo kits, you will need upgraded injectors on E85.

Sincerely,

Zach
Delicious Tuning
Old 03-23-2015, 04:05 PM   #13
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
PM'd Zach
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #14
exam2300

UPDATE 032614

It is awesome with E85... The week has been great, I'm getting around 16 mpg with E85 alone. I will update with what 50/50 E85/91 MPG is like.
The Following User Says Thank You to exam2300 For This Useful Post: