follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #15
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk77FT View Post
Attachment 97813Here it is installed! Sounds and looks great in the engine bay!
That it does, thanks again Hawk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPxM0Dz View Post
Got this already, but would love to see a Limited Edition polished version in the future
You most likely won't see anything polished from us. Polished pipes usually scream "made overseas," and generally is used to hide imperfections or for pure bling factor. Polishing a pipe costs quite a bit more here in the USA than powdercoating does as well. You could always strip it and have it polished though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortis View Post
Very interested in this...Would you say there's any likelihood of throwing a CEL after prolonged use? I see that it's designed to mimic the stock AFR. I don't plan on getting an aftermarket tune or any other serious mods so I was a little worried of throwing a CEL later on down the road.
We put a several thousand miles on ours over the course of around 8 months, with no CELs. The intakes i have seen throw CELs run substantially leaner than ours, which is why they do what they sometimes through a code. I would not and do not expect CELs from ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2th View Post
I had it for 2 weeks and over 500 miles. no problems at all. however, i think i lost some low end torque as before it was easier to drive in stop and go traffic with clutch only, but now i need to release the clutch slower to avoid stall
Interesting. Unfortunately no dyno runs ever start from off idle as that would be extremely difficult on the car, and fairly inaccurate due to initial slippage. So it might be possible you have lost torque under 1000rpms, but we'll never know. If it's an issue, you might benefit from an OFT, which is just all around awesome, and will give you more torque than you ever had

Quote:
Originally Posted by akyp View Post
Compatible with Crawford BPBs?

Also it would have been nice to have a dry filter version. Anyway I might still get this somewhere down the road.
They are compatible, and there already have been several successful installs. Should be a pretty darn good combination as they seem to make peak power at the same places.

We've been tossing around the idea of a dry filter. The main reason we didn't at first is because oiled filters flow better than dry filters. But if the demand is there we will consider selling a dry option as well.

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
akyp (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #16
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Drives: Lexus IS-F Series 2
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,246 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
^^^Sorry I was referring to the airbox in a brushed or polished finish. Kinda like your existing engine cover

Old 12-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #17
GrimmSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPxM0Dz View Post
^^^Sorry I was referring to the airbox in a brushed or polished finish. Kinda like your existing engine cover

Oh man my favorite, yeah we've talked about it and the only reason that we didn't is because since the airbox is aluminum it doesn't really match the brushed stainless, so it kind of looks a little out of place. Gives me an idea though, what if we made a brushed stainless lid piece that did match. Would still keep most of the weight off, and maintain the substantially better heat dissipation qualities of the aluminum. The major downside is that now we would end up with another version of this product on top of our potential future dry filter version (black/oiled, black/dry, black/stainless/oiled, black/stainless/dry, red/oiled, red/dry, red/stainless/oiled, red/stainless/dry). So now we have six different versions on our shelves when there were only two before, taking up room that we need for the substantially larger products we've got coming out next year :P But I like the idea, so I'm going to bring it up. But i definitely wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

Chase
Engineering
The Following User Says Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
JPxM0Dz (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #18
BRZFern

Drives: 2013 SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I currently have an intake that requires the removal of my front bumper to change the filter. This process has become cumbersome, and I'm on my third pair of sidemarkers (those damn clips!). Therefore, I'm considering replacing my current intake to GrimmSpeed's. Am I correct to assume that I'm going to have to search my attic for the cone of the stock air intake? ...the stock piece that sucks air from inside the front bumper in front of the air box.
BRZFern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #19
GrimmSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ_Fern View Post
I currently have an intake that requires the removal of my front bumper to change the filter. This process has become cumbersome, and I'm on my third pair of sidemarkers (those damn clips!). Therefore, I'm considering replacing my current intake to GrimmSpeed's. Am I correct to assume that I'm going to have to search my attic for the cone of the stock air intake? ...the stock piece that sucks air from inside the front bumper in front of the air box.
Yep, we call that the snorkel. I would go so far as to say that this piece is an absolute must. Not only because it provides colder air, but because it also helps with the distribution of air into the airbox. Back when we were first testing the intake we did some dyno pulls with no snorkel, and the power output was about the same as the stock intake with snorkel. I even wrote an article you can find here on measuring the restriction of the stock intake where I found data that showed that the snorkel was not a restriction, but rather provided a pressure gain, which I thought was cool. However, we also dyno tested the popular "modded snorkel" which i do not suspect has the same pressure gain, and it is good for about 2whp at the very top of the rev range with no losses anywhere else, and only a minor change to AFRs.

Thats WAY more information than you needed. I should have just said "yes," but I kind of love this stuff

Chase
Engineering
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
Cesium Rainbow (08-06-2015), CxG (08-05-2015), MrBlaze-65 (12-15-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #20
BRZFern

Drives: 2013 SSM BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
Yep, we call that the snorkel. I would go so far as to say that this piece is an absolute must. Not only because it provides colder air, but because it also helps with the distribution of air into the airbox. Back when we were first testing the intake we did some dyno pulls with no snorkel, and the power output was about the same as the stock intake with snorkel. I even wrote an article you can find here on measuring the restriction of the stock intake where I found data that showed that the snorkel was not a restriction, but rather provided a pressure gain, which I thought was cool. However, we also dyno tested the popular "modded snorkel" which i do not suspect has the same pressure gain, and it is good for about 2whp at the very top of the rev range with no losses anywhere else, and only a minor change to AFRs.

Thats WAY more information than you needed. I should have just said "yes," but I kind of love this stuff

Chase
Engineering

SNORKEL! That's the name of the part that wouldn't come to mind! Thanks for the additional info; it's appreciated.
BRZFern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #21
zooki

Drives: waiting on a 2021...
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post

Chase
Engineering
I think you busted a lot of people's bubbles with that bit of info on the snorkel.
1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke, the tow rig
1969 Mustang, the fast car....(:
zooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:58 PM   #22
quicksilver30

Drives: '13 LR BRZ Limited| '07 Jeep GC
Just got the new intake installed this weekend. Looks and sounds amazing! Waiting for my updated tune to take advantage of it.

Name:  2014-12-14 12.20.44 copy.jpg
Views: 5566
Size:  378.6 KB
Name:  2014-12-14 12.20.48 copy.jpg
Views: 6456
Size:  383.4 KB
Old 12-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #23
Guzic
Clean as F86ck

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Any comparison with the skunk2 intake? Was about to go that route but this seems pretty legit.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:57 PM   #24
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzic View Post
Any comparison with the skunk2 intake? Was about to go that route but this seems pretty legit.
I don't think the Grimmspeed intake has been out long enough for proper 3rd party testing against other intakes. I was skeptical of the skunk2 initially but it looks to have good results with a tune.

I have the Grimmspeed and I can tell you it works very well. The ecu likes it better than the stock airbox, Perrin filter, Perrin silicon tube, aftermarket snorkel and all resonators deleted combo I ran previously. I haven't dyno'd it though so I can't talk about gains specifically however.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #25
200hp/tonne

Drives: Raven Fr-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
The ecu likes it better than the stock airbox, Perrin filter, Perrin silicon tube, aftermarket snorkel and all resonators deleted combo I ran previously.
Curiosity question: What metric do you use to come to this conclusion?

200hp/tonne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 200hp/tonne For This Useful Post:
Pat (12-17-2014), raven1231 (01-29-2015)
Old 12-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #26
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200hp/tonne View Post
Curiosity question: What metric do you use to come to this conclusion?
I have an OFT and the trims settle far far quicker when I flash a tune. Also with my previous setup I couldn't use Shiv's 2.0 tunes without rescaling the MAF.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #27
200hp/tonne

Drives: Raven Fr-S
Cool.
In the OFT Tune for GS intake thread though, Shiv mentions changes made to MAF scaling as well as some Fuelling tables specific to GS intakes.
You didn't need any scaling or modification at all to anything and everything looks fine?

200hp/tonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #28
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Thread Hijack
How many seconds before you will have a new product to announce/display/tease us with?

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote