follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
Yamajee

Drives: Rocket Bunny'd GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation ABS and Slip Light on after steering wheel re-install

Hey guys,

Was working on my car's steering wheel today with an upholstery guy at his shop, removed the wheel, I know how to do that because I've already done this before with the same guy so I took the precautions of disconnecting the battery, waiting 5 minutes, removing the airbag sensor that is stuck to the steering wheel very carefully and so on. Shortly after, we re-installed the steering wheel, put everything back in place as it should be, re-hooked the battery, started the car and BAM... got these 2 lights on, checked all the fuses, relays, checked all the connectors, everything is just perfect.

I've also noticed that the cruise control was not working, then we decided to remove the steering wheel again and see what we have done, I saw that the springclock thing has been moved a bit and I had to do the 5 turns thing to know that it's back to the middle, still, put it back to the middle, got the orange thing at around 8'o'clock in the springclock indicating that it's ok, put back the steering wheel, still getting the lights.. anyone had the same problem? If so, what did you do..?

edit: I've heard that you need to get it re-calibrated, anyone knows how to, techstream..?

Last edited by Yamajee; 06-23-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Yamajee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
andrew20195

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Yeah, you're gonna need a scan tool to pull the codes and see what they are. May just need to be reset and recalibrated
andrew20195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
Yamajee

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew20195 View Post
Yeah, you're gonna need a scan tool to pull the codes and see what they are. May just need to be reset and recalibrated
I've got techstream, though I don't remember seeing the word "calibrate" anywhere?

edit: after some research, think I need a zero point calibration, anyone knows how to do that on the FRS? been looking and can't find anything.

Last edited by Yamajee; 06-23-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
jdubz13frs

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
NOTICE:

* While obtaining the zero point, keep the vehicle stationary and do not vibrate, tilt, move, or shake it. (Do not start the engine.) * Be sure to perform this procedure on a level surface (with an inclination of less than 1 degree). HINT
When VSC sensor neutral memorization is performed, the yaw rate and acceleration sensor and the steering sensor zero point calibration are performed at the same time.

(1)Turn the ignition switch off.(2)Check that the steering wheel is centered.(3)Check that the shift lever is in neutral.(4)Apply the parking brake by pulling up the parking brake lever.(5)Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.(6)Turn the ignition switch on.(7)Turn the Techstream on.(8)Enter the following menus: Chassis / ABS/VSC/TRAC / Utility / VSC Sensor Neutral Memorization.(9)According to the display on the Techstream, perform VSC sensor neutral memorization.(10)Turn the ignition switch off and disconnect the Techstream.
jdubz13frs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdubz13frs For This Useful Post:
orz (07-26-2022)
Old 06-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
Yamajee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubz13frs View Post
NOTICE:

* While obtaining the zero point, keep the vehicle stationary and do not vibrate, tilt, move, or shake it. (Do not start the engine.) * Be sure to perform this procedure on a level surface (with an inclination of less than 1 degree). HINT
When VSC sensor neutral memorization is performed, the yaw rate and acceleration sensor and the steering sensor zero point calibration are performed at the same time.

(1)Turn the ignition switch off.(2)Check that the steering wheel is centered.(3)Check that the shift lever is in neutral.(4)Apply the parking brake by pulling up the parking brake lever.(5)Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.(6)Turn the ignition switch on.(7)Turn the Techstream on.(8)Enter the following menus: Chassis / ABS/VSC/TRAC / Utility / VSC Sensor Neutral Memorization.(9)According to the display on the Techstream, perform VSC sensor neutral memorization.(10)Turn the ignition switch off and disconnect the Techstream.

I think this was taken from the tundra forums and we don't have this option on the twins :/. Car is in the dealership, I think it's the steering angle sensor that needs to be replaced.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
jdubz13frs

actually thats right off alldata listed under 13 fr-s, but alldata doe have a habit of copy n paste. let us know how it turns out!
The Following User Says Thank You to jdubz13frs For This Useful Post:
Yamajee (06-26-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
connorlug

Drives: #1553 10 Series FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamajee View Post
I think this was taken from the tundra forums and we don't have this option on the twins :/. Car is in the dealership, I think it's the steering angle sensor that needs to be replaced.
this is for the frs, i had to do one on a 2013 frs that came from a body shop the other day. its in the vsc/abs/trac ecu utilities
connorlug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to connorlug For This Useful Post:
Yamajee (06-26-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 10:34 PM   #8
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Find the code before jumping to conclusions.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
Yamajee

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorlug View Post
this is for the frs, i had to do one on a 2013 frs that came from a body shop the other day. its in the vsc/abs/trac ecu utilities
Hmm, maybe I should look at it again although the car is in the dealership now anyways..

Quote:
actually thats right off alldata listed under 13 fr-s, but alldata doe have a habit of copy n paste. let us know how it turns out!
Thank you for helping out and if I get the chance to go see the car in the dealership I'll try to do that and see if it goes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Find the code before jumping to conclusions.
C1231, already diagnosed it.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
Yamajee

Quote:
NOTICE:

Thank you sir! did this and it's been a few hours since I drove it around and steered a lot to see if it would come back again but everything is okay, let's hope it stays this way. Once again, thank you! even the dealership didn't know about such calibration for the steering angle sensors for most Toyota and Lexus cars -.-.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #11
jdubz13frs

glad to help
Old 03-29-2017, 12:56 PM   #12
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Is there any way to reset the SAS without Techstream?