follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 01-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #1
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
dont buy wintercontact si if you get fluff snow

im just posting this because this is the 2nd snowstorm this year were we got 3+ inches of fluffy snow and this is the 2nd time these tires have just spun in this crap. in slush, they are fine. in cold wet, they are fine. in hard pack, they are fine. in snow they are complete dogshit and just spin.

posting this not only because im salty about my buy, but im hoping someone next year will search this looking to see how the wintercontact si are and get a better tire.
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:24 PM   #2
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
try the toyo celcius tires... they're like an all season tire with winter capabilities
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:48 PM   #3
Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideFRS View Post
try the toyo celcius tires... they're like an all season tire with winter capabilities
no i live on the side of a cliff i need dedicated snow and ice tires for the winter. strangely enough i drive some of the steepest streets in the US with no issue, its when i pull off on my street and have to park that i get stuck. these tires just dont do shit if you are starting from a stop on a steep hill in fluffy snow
Old 01-15-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
HSUBLU

Drives: 2017 BRZ WR Blue
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
no i live on the side of a cliff i need dedicated snow and ice tires for the winter. strangely enough i drive some of the steepest streets in the US with no issue, its when i pull off on my street and have to park that i get stuck. these tires just dont do shit if you are starting from a stop on a steep hill in fluffy snow
Oh man, if you live near the Dirty Dozen, you must get a lot of cyclists! That's a simultaneous hell (hill) climb and yet a rite of passage for a lot of masochists...

I haven't had too much experience with fluff snow on my WinterContact SIs that I tossed on my Forester, so I can't speak to that experience you had, but good to know...
Old 01-15-2018, 11:54 PM   #5
JMon85

Drives: 2019 WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That's funny bcoz my issue with those tires is the muddy slush. All other surfaces are fine. Lol
JMon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:25 AM   #6
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tires are always a compromise. Many winter tires sacrifice one or two things in order to make them a nice 'daily driver' type tire, which kind of sucks.

My experience has been that a lot of the newer tires that excel on ice, and handle really well when it's fairly dry out, really don't do well with a higher volume of snow. Nowhere near what some of the Finnish and Swedish style tires with big tread blocks can do.

The Altimax Arctic 12 is your inexpensive choice to plugging through the deep stuff!
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #7
Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSUBLU View Post
Oh man, if you live near the Dirty Dozen, you must get a lot of cyclists! That's a simultaneous hell (hill) climb and yet a rite of passage for a lot of masochists...

I haven't had too much experience with fluff snow on my WinterContact SIs that I tossed on my Forester, so I can't speak to that experience you had, but good to know...
i use to live off elaenor which was too short to qualify for the dirty dozen but it was something like 2.5 blocks at a 37 grade. i still live in the general area tho