follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-30-2016, 05:14 PM   #169
HarropOz

Drives: Harrop TVS1320 Supercharged 86
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc209 View Post
@HarropOz - So what power does the harrop setup with the stroker kit and the 65mm pulley make on Ron99 rather than E85? You mention require E85 to avoid knock, but surely you can back off timing?

E85 is scarce here in the UK....
I would be targeting a 85mm Pulley for that build. The 12.5:1 Compression ratio standard isnt kind to lesser octane fuels.

I cant recall anyone building a Low CR Stroker kit and not running E85 or running it on standard pump 98/99RON Fuel.

You'd be in uncharted territory for our kit i believe...
HarropOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:06 PM   #170
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarropOz View Post
I would be targeting a 85mm Pulley for that build. The 12.5:1 Compression ratio standard isnt kind to lesser octane fuels.

I cant recall anyone building a Low CR Stroker kit and not running E85 or running it on standard pump 98/99RON Fuel.

What CR is your built motor? Do your temperatures start to rise after 20-25 mins of hard track time or do they stay at the temps shown in the graph?
Old 12-01-2016, 06:41 PM   #171
HarropOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
What CR is your built motor? Do your temperatures start to rise after 20-25 mins of hard track time or do they stay at the temps shown in the graph?
That graph is lap 7 i believe in 10 lap stint At Phillip Island, they are stable. Temps do not rise.

Obviously Maintaining the engine cooling system is a priority.

Compression ratio is 11.2:1 in our car.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarropOz For This Useful Post:
CxG (01-10-2018), sw20kosh (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #172
Bfranklyn86

Drives: GT86 Harrop S/C
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

There is an Edelbrock (TVS1320) kit on a built motor/small pulley that can make 284whp on pump gas. Thats using stock compression ratios.

So it can be done but seems you don't get much extra power from the extra boost.

Our fuel is a bit better than pump gas though so maybe ~310 wheel HP is possible.

Matt@cosworth has said on one of the UK forums that he thought around 11:1 compression would be right for their set up on a built motor.... so maybe dropping the CR slightly is the way forward to avoid knock with non-e85 fuels.
Bfranklyn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:39 PM   #173
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
That graph is lap 7 i believe in 10 lap stint At Phillip Island, they are stable. Temps do not rise.

Obviously Maintaining the engine cooling system is a priority.

Compression ratio is 11.2:1 in our car.
People who go FI here at the California Tracks struggle with coolant and oil temps when going FI especially in the summer (I was one of them). I am guessing your super low coolant/oil temps are mainly due to the V-mount oil cooler setup that doesn't block much of the radiator. Did you delete the stock crash support beam and A/C condenser?
Old 12-03-2016, 01:50 AM   #174
vgarcin
Swiss Alps Driver

Drives: Toyota gt86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximeT View Post
You need a pulley that produce around 11-12 PSI for european fuel. (Info from Delicious). It's more efficient that backing off timing.
True for stock motor

Forged internals with lower CR should allow for more boost I believe.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:45 PM   #175
EJ20

Drives: NA8C, GDB, and R50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Guys I need your inputs to help me decide... Im torn between HKS v3 or Harrop... I like both but have to choose one as I plan to go FI Feb 2017.
I just need to know if I can hook up AEM water/meth injection kit to Harrop kit??? I ckecked every photo online and cant see a place/port to fit the AEM injector?? Any of you have Harrop kit can confirm??
Other wise I'd go to HKS v3.

Resons is octane rate in my country is only 90
Old 12-03-2016, 03:45 PM   #176
EJ20

Guys I need your inputs to help me decide... Im torn between HKS v3 or Harrop... I like both but have to choose one as I plan to go FI Feb 2017.
I just need to know if I can hook up AEM water/meth injection kit to Harrop kit??? I ckecked every photo online and cant see a place/port to fit the AEM injector?? Any of you have Harrop kit can confirm??

Old 12-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #177
HarropOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
People who go FI here at the California Tracks struggle with coolant and oil temps when going FI especially in the summer (I was one of them). I am guessing your super low coolant/oil temps are mainly due to the V-mount oil cooler setup that doesn't block much of the radiator. Did you delete the stock crash support beam and A/C condenser?
Yes the oil cooler does help keep things in check, and we thoroughly recommend the use of any oil cooler for track work. Ours works very well diverting hot air away from the engine bay and Inter cooler/radiator heat exchange cores.

the car currently has working AC.... not much of a track car i know... but its there, not removed. Neither is the crash beam.
The Following User Says Thank You to HarropOz For This Useful Post:
CxG (01-10-2018)
Old 12-04-2016, 04:31 PM   #178
HarropOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ20 View Post

http://blog.perrinperformance.com/tag/harrop/

Have a look at this setup with Water/Meth Injection on a FA20 powered WRX
The Following User Says Thank You to HarropOz For This Useful Post:
EJ20 (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 05:37 PM   #179
EJ20

Quote:
http://blog.perrinperformance.com/tag/harrop/

Have a look at this setup with Water/Meth Injection on a FA20 powered WRX
Wow thats a brutal build @_@ nice
And its great it was post tvs roots, but I was woundering... if I drill holes in the runners wont that void my supercharger warranty?? Also for the long run it wont cause metal to cracks due to thermal stress (heat during duty and cooldown when the car off) I mean in case the drilling was not done in a proper way?

What i was thinking is to make wmi pre oem throttle by using throttle spacer and drill a hole into it for the wmi.
But that wrx is really more effective to remove heat
Old 12-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #180
Trefoil

Drives: GBS BRZ Harrop SC/PTuning Header
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ20 View Post
Wow thats a brutal build @_@ nice
And its great it was post tvs roots, but I was woundering... if I drill holes in the runners wont that void my supercharger warranty?? Also for the long run it wont cause metal to cracks due to thermal stress (heat during duty and cooldown when the car off) I mean in case the drilling was not done in a proper way?

What i was thinking is to make wmi pre oem throttle by using throttle spacer and drill a hole into it for the wmi.
But that wrx is really more effective to remove heat
It totally will void the SC warranty. I don't know about how the manifold was cast, but it seems solid and well designed. I think Perrin took the cost of brand new units for the project as a proof of concept build. Best of both worlds when you can twin charge a car with limited displacement. The Lotus and MR2 groups have done it for a while, but at great cost since they require built engines (and in some cases, transmissions/axles).
Trefoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:14 PM   #181
HarropOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trefoil View Post
It totally will void the SC warranty. I don't know about how the manifold was cast, but it seems solid and well designed. I think Perrin took the cost of brand new units for the project as a proof of concept build. Best of both worlds when you can twin charge a car with limited displacement. The Lotus and MR2 groups have done it for a while, but at great cost since they require built engines (and in some cases, transmissions/axles).
Absolutley.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:18 PM   #182
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Racers Line View Post
At the moment there is no CANNED tune from Harrop for US fuels. You will need to hit up Moto-East or Delicious Tuning for a Harrop map/tune.
A tune from Harrop for non-US fuels would still be useful as a starting point for MAF scaling and cam angles. The MAF scaling is particularly important since the kit replaces the MAF housing.

@HarropOz is there a way for end users to get a base cal from you for ECUTek? Knowing that it won't be usable out of the box, but still important as inspiration for a tune.

I ordered my kit from Neal on the 19th, and waiting patiently for delivery (honestly, I am), but trying to work out the details regarding tune. I will be doing install myself, my 2017 BRZ is already tuned on ECUTek, and I will need to be able to fire the car up and drive it for a couple hours to get to my buddies dyno so we can properly tune it.

Having something to go off of for the MAF will be paramount to the success of my install. Cruising down the freeway for two hours in limp mode is unappealing.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote