follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2015, 12:28 AM   #15
JoeeStacks

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage

Unless you wanna swap a Honda engine haha
JoeeStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:27 AM   #16
2015FRShalo

Drives: 2015 Frs Halo 909 miles
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeeStacks View Post

Unless you wanna swap a Honda engine haha
Lmao I'm good man 😂
2015FRShalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:35 AM   #17
2015FRShalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
I'd sit tight and wait till Vorshlag works out all the kinks with their test car. I think all that's left is sorting out on turning off the idiot lights in the dash and making the electronic power steering functional again. All the mechanical stuff has been sorted pretty well from the last I checked. I think they're still tweaking a front swaybar for clearance but the mechanical side of things seems to be near completion.

Honestly, if you're looking for that kind of power, it's hard to say but this car just isn't the platform to take you there effectively.

For myself, I've come to accept leaving this car in the 280hp range. Anything more and it just doesn't make any financial sense as I'd be better off grabbing a c6z06 with all the money dumped into the FRS and be fast from the get go with way more tuning potential to spare.

But to get back to your idea of a 450hp fa20 az6 powered frs, look to spend at least the price of the car in modifications. $5k for built engine, $5k for turbo kit, $5k misc, and near $10k for a built az6 (which has yet to be proven!) a v160 swap, or even more money for a Holinger sequential 6speed $$$!!!

At that point, a c6z06 seems like a much fitting proposition over a built out frs at which it can blow up at any moment lol.

At the end of the day I know I could get rid of the car and buy something with more horsepower for about the same amount of money I'm going to put into it but that's not what it's about for me. I love the frs and its my dream car, I wan go to where few have gone with it and build it exactly how I want it. I want it to be unique and represent me and my style. I have so much plans for my car and I'm not going anywhere else. I'm in it for the long run 👌🏽
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2015FRShalo For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (12-06-2015), JoeeStacks (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 01:43 AM   #18
JoeeStacks

Garage
^ Thumbs up emojis
Old 12-06-2015, 01:50 AM   #19
2015FRShalo

Quote:
He said that the car never ran right after the swap. The weight was definitely pushed to the front so the rear was pretty weightless. This was on a Lexus SC back in the 90s tho. The technology has advanced from then, but its still $$$.
I originally got this car for the reliability, sporty feature and how little it depreciated. I was hoping when I finish college to trade it in for a better car. So I'm still debating if I want to trade it in or to build it haha. I am most definitely going with the SBD or Stage two Greddy Turbo when I FI and thats all I planned other than other SWAGGY mods and e85 hahaha.
I'm personally thinking of going with the fa20 rebuild myself now. After looking into ls swapping. I rather do the fa20. My plan is to ship my header and block to full blown and have them rebuild it for me. Add the after market oil pan they offer. But use the Greddy stage 2 turbo as well. Adding a extra oil cooler. Upgrade all the injectors. Upgrading the clutch. Changing the diff to a 8.8 conversion. New axels. Upgrading the whole fuel system. I plan on us AN lines for everything. Gna keep the stock tranny and ride it till the gears fall off lol. Big break kit from ap racing. Coilovers from fortune auto or k w coil overs. F1R rims with Toyo tires. Victory function side fenders. Get rid of the aftermarket bucket seats I have and replace with recaro bucket seats. Take out the back seat and put a roll cage in. Maybe put a front fender aero kit and either keep the factory rear spoiler or put a little bigger one on. Gna say goodbye to all my life savings with this build lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2015FRShalo For This Useful Post:
JoeeStacks (12-06-2015), strat61caster (12-07-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 02:05 AM   #20
JoeeStacks

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015FRShalo View Post
I'm personally thinking of going with the fa20 rebuild myself now. After looking into ls swapping. I rather do the fa20. My plan is to ship my header and block to full blown and have them rebuild it for me. Add the after market oil pan they offer. But use the Greddy stage 2 turbo as well. Adding a extra oil cooler. Upgrade all the injectors. Upgrading the clutch. Changing the diff to a 8.8 conversion. New axels. Upgrading the whole fuel system. I plan on us AN lines for everything. Gna keep the stock tranny and ride it till the gears fall off lol. Big break kit from ap racing. Coilovers from fortune auto or k w coil overs. F1R rims with Toyo tires. Victory function side fenders. Get rid of the aftermarket bucket seats I have and replace with recaro bucket seats. Take out the back seat and put a roll cage in. Maybe put a front fender aero kit and either keep the factory rear spoiler or put a little bigger one on. Gna say goodbye to all my life savings with this build lol
That sounds like one hell of a plan! I wish you the best of luck... financially haha. I am gonna bag mine if I decide to go through with FI.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:38 AM   #21
2015FRShalo

Quote:
That sounds like one hell of a plan! I wish you the best of luck... financially haha. I am gonna bag mine if I decide to go through with FI.
Ahah thanks! How much horsepower are planning on running on yours? The air bags look great anestheticly, I had them on my 76 Malibu SS. I had a 390 big block in it. Ride was smooth but once I hit over a 100+ it felt like I was floating and didn't have much control of the car. Is your goal anesthetic or performance? It's something to keep in mind
Old 12-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #22
nyrip
It's not rasp, just Rawr!

Drives: Something far too loud
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
One thing to think about- you can find ls motors left and right. I did an ls2 swap on my previous truck and picked the motor out of a wrecked gto for around 2k. I fixed it up, threw a new intake manifold and ecu and cam in it and made 450 to the wheels. And that's in a big truck. Maybe total expense was around 3500. Plus you have that big v8 NA powerband. Just my 2 cents
Edit- don't forget LS motor parts are all around, it's a small pushrod motor, and it's light.
austin_ellas (12-09-2015), Chrisgalactic (12-07-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #23
Chrisgalactic

Drives: White out Scion Frs
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I would think for what you want. Reliability, Drag, & Track an LS swap would be the way to go. From what Ive read (correct me if Im wrong) but I believe an LS2 engine is about 60 pounds heavier than our stock motor and pushes about 400 hp stock. Now imagine you do some basic bolt on modifications & your FRS will be pretty much unstoppable. There was a forum member with a red FRS who used his car for drifting that attempted to build his FA20 to run the power you're seeking (Or close) and it kept breaking on him. I honestly don't believe these engines are meant or built w/ the attention to even with stand 400 hp regardless if you go forged internals/FI. Point was that the forum member went with a twin turbo LS swap & Im sure he's had success with it. I think you can find his build in the members journals section. I wish I remembered his name
Chrisgalactic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrisgalactic For This Useful Post:
2015FRShalo (12-08-2015), JoeeStacks (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 12:41 AM   #24
JoeeStacks

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015FRShalo View Post
Ahah thanks! How much horsepower are planning on running on yours? The air bags look great anestheticly, I had them on my 76 Malibu SS. I had a 390 big block in it. Ride was smooth but once I hit over a 100+ it felt like I was floating and didn't have much control of the car. Is your goal anesthetic or performance? It's something to keep in mind
I was thinking about 400-500 hp, but this wont be for a really long time (college) haha. Just little things every summer or winter break. Mainly performance with the exception of OEM Audio+ and Bags. Gotta have good audio.

I can't wait to see your build tho!
Old 12-17-2015, 01:07 AM   #25
nyrip
It's not rasp, just Rawr!

Drives: Something far too loud
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I know we have a guy in the club (whose name escapes me) who is running an SBD kit with E85 and making around 400 on the FA20.