follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
Raiden

Drives: 00' Audi A4 2.8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is it wise to buy an all-new model car when it first comes out?

I read a similar thread on ************* and thought i'd see what you guys think about the topic.

Here's the original transcript:

Quote:
I've got a couple of friends telling me not to buy this car when it comes out at first because it's new and the "kinks" won't be worked out until a year or two later. They compared it to software releases and how the first version of anything has been tested but not against a mass audience. But then again, just as an example, even though I think the whole "unintended acceleration" thing was blown way out of proportion, THOSE cars have been on the market for YEARS.

I'm someone with very little patience and the need for instant gratification. I was thinking I could either lease a brand new one for a few years and then get a new one if that one had problems.. but that's most likely a waste of money, right? Or... drive my 2005 Corolla CE for another year... *grumble*.. or take a gamble and buy one when it comes out. I understand that you can keep waiting and even better cars will come out (like phones) but my friends were saying the majority of the problems, the ones that could not be seen in the test drives, would be fixed and a 2012 or 2013 would be the best for its time.
by: looksitchloe, *************

What do you think?
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX
the 2003 and 2004 (first two years of production) were the BEST Matrix models. The XRS actually had something exciting about it, the body styles were the best, the offerings were the best. The later models were toned down and made granny mobiles. I'm buying mine right out the gate, if its "buggy" Then I'll trade it in when the get the new series out.
Siriusly.Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
C-Bone

Drives: '03 Tiburon
I'm probably gonna have to wait to get mine though I'd like to get it when it first comes out. Its whatever you really want to do, if there are kinks that need to be worked out then waiting a year or so would be better so you get the absolute best, however any major problems should be covered under warranty so you should be OK if you decide to get one first thing when they come out. Also for me I'd like to look into the g sports version which I'm sure wont be out right away anyways. So whatever you feel most comfortable with you should do, its a big investment as with any car or home etc., just some things to consider
Old 08-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I think Toyota is good with first year production issues. Not saying there are going to have recalls or TSB's but another reason to hold off until the later models is they start to add better details as the years go on.

I bought my '05 Tacoma, the first year it came out and they had 2 recalls and several TSBs which are already on the '08 and current Tacomas. They also added the blacked out headlights, LED taillights and changed up the interior here and there.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
Something newer and better always comes out right when you purchase something. Im buying first year.
Midship Runabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Normous View Post
Something newer and better always comes out right when you purchase something. Im buying first year.
ditto, it's never ends if u just wait for improved ver.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
If I follow the AE86 history, first the SR5 came 1984 its ok a carb single cam motor & drum brakes on rearend cheap and dependable. then 1985 following year the twin cam, EFI, tvis motor with a disk brakes and optional LSD. so my prediction will be, first to second year just the basic NA 2.0 liter flat 4 DI, standard breaks and optional LSD 3rd year will be the track version, a lighter chassis, more powerful engine, better/stiffer suspension & 4 piston calipers.
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I normally don't buy first year vehicles but my situation dictates that I have to replace my current car as soon as the FT-86 comes out. If there are bugs well that's what the warranty is for I guess. If I could wait I would though.

I just hope we don't get screwed like those 2008 WRX guys did when the very next year horsepower jumped from 225 to 265.
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
C-Bone

Drives: '03 Tiburon
They will probably want to see how popular this car becomes at first, and if it does become popular (which I'm sure it will) they will probably cange it up a bit in future years. Maybe the appearance a bit (inside and/or outside), maybe throw more at the engine or offer more choices like with the Genesis; maybe not quite as many choices but some. And again these are just guesses, so don't bash or anything lol
Old 08-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Hmmm, having had 7M head gasket problems in Supras prior to my 1JZ, I'm a bit gun-shy of going to a new model essentially 'blind'. But the mechanical bits all seem to have been proven on other platforms, so I'm undecided.

My biggest issues will be waiting for the inevitable dealer price gouging to come down and the band-wagon to cool off.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #11
MtnDrvr86

Drives: 2002 honda civic ex
Ill wait till the tests and reviews are out, and final production numbers, and whatnot. And finally test driving it and where Im at in life. Ill be out of school but its goind to depend alot on jobs Im trying to get
MtnDrvr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnDrvr86 View Post
Ill wait till the tests and reviews are out, and final production numbers, and whatnot. And finally test driving it and where Im at in life. Ill be out of school but its goind to depend alot on jobs Im trying to get
this.
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
bigbcraig

Drives: 2013 BRZ / 2015 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post
I just hope we don't get screwed like those 2008 WRX guys did when the very next year horsepower jumped from 225 to 265.
As a preface to the following comment, I was originally planning on buying an '05 WRX.

As the proud owner of an '08 WRX, people need to calm down and take a ride in an '08 before they say tings like this.

First, the "225" is WAY stronger than previous 225's. (From what I hear, of course). I have an intake (injen) which probably doesn't do anything but sounds cool, and my car may or may not be definitely quicker in all situations than a 4-door, 6MT, RWD E90 330i. (260sh "horsepower"). So we didn't get screwed as much as you think.
Having a tiny turbo sometimes sucks becasue it does, for sure, run out of air at redline; the throttle response is great and I can cruise down back roads at 4th - 2.5-3k RPMs and have plenty enough power to get out of corners.

The suspension is too soft for track days, but it's comfortable enough that my mom and girlfriend actualy like riding in my car. It's not that sloppy, now that I have steering rack bushings (plan to get sway bars and stop there), and again is great for uneven back roads and Atlanta city streets.

Even though it's bigger (looks bloated :/) and much nicer in the interior, they are inbetween (depends on where you get your numbers) 50 lbs lighter and 50 lbs heavier than the old WRXs, and have much better rear suspension.

Performance-wise, it's VERY close to an '09, nothing a little of aftermarket can more than fix. And, it's more comfortable. Overall, it's a great balance between civility and sportiness. And no WRX is really ideal as a track car, with the engine way out past the front axle, anyway.

ON-TOPIC, I wouldn't be scared to buy first year; I'm planning on buying a lightly-used early production one in 2013-2015 and making a track car out of it
bigbcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #14
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4agze View Post
If I follow the AE86 history, first the SR5 came 1984 its ok a carb single cam motor & drum brakes on rearend cheap and dependable. then 1985 following year the twin cam, EFI, tvis motor with a disk brakes and optional LSD. so my prediction will be, first to second year just the basic NA 2.0 liter flat 4 DI, standard breaks and optional LSD 3rd year will be the track version, a lighter chassis, more powerful engine, better/stiffer suspension & 4 piston calipers.
You don't think all of the lineups will be released at the same time and just small option changes throughout the years?

I know the car will only get better over time; different engine tweaks different colors available n different options, interior and exterior changes. There really isn't a benefit of getting the first release unless you really want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post

My biggest issues will be waiting for the inevitable dealer price gouging to come down and the band-wagon to cool off.
We're almost certain the first year will have a stupid dealer mark up.