follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2015, 03:07 PM   #141
RedFR-s
Builder/Driver/Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Turbo Firestorm
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
For some context, I got my hands on a used V2 that needed some new bearings. When I got into it I found that one of the bearings failed and the gears chewed up some ball bearings. The gears are now destroyed as well as the bearing. My plan now is to rebuild it with new gears, bearings, and seals since the impleller and everything else is still good.

It's definitely not the V2 for the FR-S and I'm trying to get some info from Vortech to figure out which V2 it actually is. Eventually, i'll be putting it together in a custom kit.
2013 Honda CBR 250 Repsol- Toy
2017 Toyota Tacoma - The Rig
RedFR-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:51 AM   #142
AJPG

Drives: 22RE, FA20, 4G63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
CCW[ATTACH]104358

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Attached Images

AJPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:00 AM   #143
AJPG

Drives: 22RE, FA20, 4G63
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFR-s View Post
For some context, I got my hands on a used V2 that needed some new bearings. When I got into it I found that one of the bearings failed and the gears chewed up some ball bearings. The gears are now destroyed as well as the bearing. My plan now is to rebuild it with new gears, bearings, and seals since the impleller and everything else is still good.

It's definitely not the V2 for the FR-S and I'm trying to get some info from Vortech to figure out which V2 it actually is. Eventually, i'll be putting it together in a custom kit.
If the case are ok, then feel free to rebuild... But be sure about that before order any parts!
AJPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:19 AM   #144
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFR-s View Post

This changes things...

Is there a serial/name plate riveted to the headunit? Should have serial number, model number, and any carb EO numbers if applicable
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:12 AM   #145
RedFR-s
Builder/Driver/Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Turbo Firestorm
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
This changes things...

Is there a serial/name plate riveted to the headunit? Should have serial number, model number, and any carb EO numbers if applicable
It's got the name plate but only says V2. I got a hold of Brian@Vortech, apparently it's 11 years old and he can't tell if it's S or SC (V8 or V6).

I know it's oversized, so I'm trying to sort out what I need to do to make it work if I can. If not I may rebuild it and sell it to cover costs of the V2/3 H67B for our car.
2013 Honda CBR 250 Repsol- Toy
2017 Toyota Tacoma - The Rig
RedFR-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #146
cruizin01

Drives: 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
That chasebays setup is on my car currently.

Is anyone here running E85 on their car with stock pulley thats using stock injectors and fuel pump? I assume you could make close to 300whp on E85?
cruizin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:22 AM   #147
Cal3000

Drives: Panda FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizin01 View Post
That chasebays setup is on my car currently.

Is anyone here running E85 on their car with stock pulley thats using stock injectors and fuel pump? I assume you could make close to 300whp on E85?
I don't have stock injectors and fuel pump. I would say you will need to upgrade your fuel pump at least. It's possible to feed enough fuel combining the DI and PI.

I made 308whp on E85 with the stock pulley and stock headers.
Delicious Tuning
Cal3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:12 AM   #148
cruizin01

Drives: 13' BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal3000 View Post
I don't have stock injectors and fuel pump. I would say you will need to upgrade your fuel pump at least. It's possible to feed enough fuel combining the DI and PI.

I made 308whp on E85 with the stock pulley and stock headers.
Good to know.

Trying to decide how to go about upgrading from here with my oft tune. My local tuner likes using open source so i can stay with oft but obviously i can't do flexfuel with that. Trying to decide how safe that will be...

Sent from HTC M8 while in burnout mode
cruizin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:43 PM   #149
DSDtrilogy

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ (Vortech Supercharged)
Hey guys, I have a quick setup/technical question. I bought my car with the vortech supercharger installed, so I'm still trying to learn about the system.

I was inspecting everything today (for no reason, car is performing fine) and I noticed some oil/wetness on the underside of the supercharger (around the discharge, pic attached). I checked the oil and noticed it was surprisingly low. From my understanding this is blow by.

The setup doesn't have a catch can and I was planning on getting one sometime in the near future. Is this grounds to get one immediately?

Is there something else I should check? Everything else seemed oil free from the outside at least. I don't want to track the car until I've worked all these kinks out, but I'm currently using it as my daily.

Please let me know if there's a better place to ask this question, I just saw a lot of catch can talk early on in this thread.
DSDtrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:08 AM   #150
Cal3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizin01 View Post
Good to know.

Trying to decide how to go about upgrading from here with my oft tune. My local tuner likes using open source so i can stay with oft but obviously i can't do flexfuel with that. Trying to decide how safe that will be...

Sent from HTC M8 while in burnout mode
Ethonal content at the pump may change up to 15%. So it's better to run with a flex fuel kit so your timing and fuel delivery can adjust itself. Without flex fuel, you are running a blind eye. The stoic ratio changes from 70% to 85% ethonal. Say your car was tuned on e70 and you throw in e85, you may start to run lean. You want to be especially safe with boost.
Delicious Tuning
Old 03-16-2015, 01:10 AM   #151
Cal3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDtrilogy View Post
Hey guys, I have a quick setup/technical question. I bought my car with the vortech supercharger installed, so I'm still trying to learn about the system.

I was inspecting everything today (for no reason, car is performing fine) and I noticed some oil/wetness on the underside of the supercharger (around the discharge, pic attached). I checked the oil and noticed it was surprisingly low. From my understanding this is blow by.

The setup doesn't have a catch can and I was planning on getting one sometime in the near future. Is this grounds to get one immediately?

Is there something else I should check? Everything else seemed oil free from the outside at least. I don't want to track the car until I've worked all these kinks out, but I'm currently using it as my daily.

Please let me know if there's a better place to ask this question, I just saw a lot of catch can talk early on in this thread.
I don't think that is a case of not having a catch can. I've been running my vortech 60,000 miles without one and have never seen that condition. You should check the housing sealing.
If it is blow by, check the silicon coupling sealing, but I doubt that is it.
Delicious Tuning
Old 03-16-2015, 01:23 AM   #152
DSDtrilogy

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ (Vortech Supercharged)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal3000 View Post
I don't think that is a case of not having a catch can. I've been running my vortech 60,000 miles without one and have never seen that condition. You should check the housing sealing.
If it is blow by, check the silicon coupling sealing, but I doubt that is it.
Will do, thanks!
DSDtrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:17 PM   #153
Ny Brz
Hella Flush

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Just switched over to Vortech from a turbo setup, definitely liking this system better.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcFq22NoBd8"]Vortech Turbo Smart BOV - YouTube[/ame]
Old 03-16-2015, 05:06 PM   #154
alexand3r
Custom User Title

Drives: Spaceship
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDtrilogy View Post

Wow, that's a lot of oil. I would take the airbox and that tube off to give them a good cleaning.

Also check to make sure the PCV hose's check valve is pointing the right way. The arrow should point toward the intake manifold.

Catch cans are a great idea.
alexand3r is offline   Reply With Quote