follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Corse View Post
which could lead over $10K in personal R&D, Labor, Track time, etc. Especially to noobs.
As opposed to dropping ~$12.5k on this kit?
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #16
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
By the way, a 2-piece caliper is usually stiffer than a 1-piece monoblock or billet caliper.

http://stoptech.com/technical-suppor...s-2pc-calipers
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #17
R Corse

Drives: Ducati R Corse
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
As opposed to dropping ~$12.5k on this kit?
wut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
By the way, a 2-piece caliper is usually stiffer than a 1-piece monoblock or billet caliper.

http://stoptech.com/technical-suppor...s-2pc-calipers
I'll tell you what; if you can explain that technical garbage, since you dropped it, I'm here to listen. Otherwise, if you're completely uncertain what it means yourself,

What Sports Car comes with StopTech Brakes? What Sports car comes with 2-piece Brakes? I honestly can't think of any off the top of my head. I won't say none because I have never researched this. However, narrowing the field, many use Monobloc Brembo Brakes; Corvette Z06/ZR1, Porsche, Etc, as well as Motorcycles like Ducati. Vehicles whose true purpose is race oriented; and they win. Monobloc Calipers are lighter and larger. Less unsprung weight is key. Larger Rotors and pads leads to larger surface area and less heat which equates to longevity/endurance. Even better; Carbon/Carbon components.

I could go on, but that's

Last edited by R Corse; 07-07-2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: my grammer sucks!
R Corse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #18
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
You can only stop as quickly as you have grip. Considering the light weight of our cars, I think these brakes will be overkill for any street tire.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #19
jamal

Quote:
wut?

I'll tell you what; if you can explain that technical garbage, since you dropped it, I'm here to listen. Otherwise, if you're completely uncertain what it means yourself,

What Sports Car comes with StopTech Brakes?
Quite a few actually; Stoptech does a lot of OEM calipers. You just don't hear about it because they are rebranded and there are NDAs and such. I think the IS-F and a lot of toyota/lexus 4-pots are Stoptech.

But what do you need me to explain? It's not a very complex article and is dumbed-down for the average person. Try reading it all the way through.

My point though, is that people get all excited about "monobloc" and "billet" calipers when there is nothing all that special about them and they're not any better than a standard 2-piece caliper. What that means, since you asked, is that the caliper is made of two machined pieces bolted together instead of cut out of one solid chunk. What the article alludes to is that in order to get the same stiffness out of a monobloc you need to run a bunch of steel bolts through it. Not really surprising: they are both about the same shape and made out of the same material (so same E), and the steel bolts is where the stiffness comes from. When you are buying fancy brakes, stiffness is very important. Although probably not as important as piston sizing, pad selection, and parts availability.

Spending $10k for some limited edition set of brakes is like the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. You can almost go to CCM rotors for that.

And aren't endless brakes just rebranded brembos?

Last edited by jamal; 07-07-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #20
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
What Sports Car comes with StopTech Brakes?
Uh, the new Viper, for one, comes with StopTech supplied brakes. It also 2-piece rotors.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #21
R Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
You can only stop as quickly as you have grip. Considering the light weight of our cars, I think these brakes will be overkill for any street tire.
Yep; bigger tires and rims are usually the idea.

Quote:
Quite a few actually; Stoptech does a lot of OEM calipers. You just don't hear about it because they are rebranded and there are NDAs and such. I think the IS-F and a lot of toyota/lexus 4-pots are Stoptech.

But what do you need me to explain? It's not a very complex article and is dumbed-down for the average person. Try reading it all the way through.

My point though, is that people get all excited about "monobloc" and "billet" calipers when there is nothing all that special about them and they're not any better than a standard 2-piece caliper. Spending $10k for some limited edition set of brakes is like the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. You can almost go to CCM rotors for that.
Sweet; show me the way to a bolt on CCM setup.

Personal experience on Monobloc vs 2-piece, please share?

Mine:

I have a Hayabusa and a Ducati 1198R. 'Busa has 2-piece and Duc has Monobloc. Keeping it simple, the 'Busa can't stop worth a damn after I've been on the brakes, i.e. they're heated. That Duc can go all day and forever until those pads and rotors are dead and still stop, i.e. limited brake fade. World of difference.

Like I said, I don't know which vehicles have StopTech Brakes. I have never heard of the IS-F winning races; but I have heard of Porsche and Chevy winning with Monobloc's. In fact, I have heard of Monobloc's way before I ever heard of 2-piece's, for just that very reason. Since you brought up CCM, every CCM I've ever seen utilizes Mono setups... :happy0180:
Old 07-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #22
R Corse

Quote:
And aren't endless brakes just rebranded brembos?
I see what you did there...

IDK, but TRD are re-branded Brembos.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #23
jamal

Quote:
Mine:

I have a Hayabusa and a Ducati 1198R. 'Busa has 2-piece and Duc has Monobloc. Keeping it simple, the 'Busa can't stop worth a damn after I've been on the brakes, i.e. they're heated. That Duc can go all day and forever until those pads and rotors are dead and still stop, i.e. limited brake fade. World of difference.
So two completely different bikes with different rotor sizes and pads and fluid. And how much heavier is the busa? How does fade have anything to do with the construction of the caliper? What are we even arguing about?

All I am trying to say is that there is nothing special about monoblock calipers or endless brakes.

And I don't know what cars use Stoptech calipers. They won't tell me or you or anyone else. But quite a few cars that have mfg-branded fixed 4 or 6-pot calipers use them.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #24
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
No thanks ill wait for AP or StopTech!!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #25
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
AP is the way to go for big budget brakes. For whoever was asking about carbon ceramic rotors, AP is also the answer.

Performance Friction also makes serious brakes.

Both of these companies > Endless.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
chulooz (07-08-2012), mines13 (07-11-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #26
jamal

Brembo owns ap, and like I mentioned, brembo and endless brakes are VERY similar. Take a look at the Brembo GTR brakes and the Endless race brakes. They even use the same font...

Honestly, AP/Brembo/Endless, Stoptech, PF, and Alcon all make good stuff. It's the knockoffs like rotora and k-sport and the companies that do a half-assed job at engineering (I would name a brand or two but that would just cause more trouble) that people should avoid.

Last edited by jamal; 07-07-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #27
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Brembo owns ap, and like I mentioned, brembo and endless brakes are VERY similar. Take a look at the Brembo GTR brakes and the Endless race brakes. They even use the same font...

Honestly, AP/Brembo/Endless, Stoptech, and Alcon all make good stuff. It's the knockoffs like rotora and k-sport and the companies that do a half-assed job at engineering (I would name a brand but that might just cause more trouble) that people should avoid.
Source?

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #28
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
ok, I converted the 1,047,900 yen to CAD and came up with close to 14,000 dollars. Unless this kit comes with a built in GPS unit that will automatically adjust brake bias for each corner of every track in the world while also learning my personal braking tastes and tailoring the bias to suit my desires, there no way in hell a BBK is worth that much. EVER. It's a few pads, rotors, calibers, and mounting brackets. What the hell could possible cost them that much? And don't say intellectual property, they didn't come up with some new form of cold fusion braking. Honestly that price makes me think they're going for the more money then brains market and I'm lacking money more than I am brains.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote