follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2013, 02:33 AM   #15
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STJ View Post
Not nissan's fault but the damn Yen.
its funny how the yen didnt do anything to the 370z
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Would still rather have Porsche.

I see the GTR as an "engineer's" car. Basically saying, it's incredible on paper, the math adds up and it executes very well what it's programmed to do.

And that is all...

It has no soul. I have a hard time loving something without a soul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Could not have said it better.
out of curiosity, have you guys spent much time behind the wheel of the gtr? i can see where this mindset comes from but im not sure theres much that its based on. i felt like if the evo x can have character despite (maybe even because) of technology, why cant the gtr?
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:17 AM   #16
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Would still rather have Porsche.

I see the GTR as an "engineer's" car. Basically saying, it's incredible on paper, the math adds up and it executes very well what it's programmed to do.

And that is all...

I'd like both in my garage. More want on the Porsche though.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #17
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

And that is all...

Some people would say that modern Porsches lack the character of older models.

Is there a discernible point at which technology overcomes soul? Or if we step back and look at the car as a whole, is it possible that these cars are doing nothing remarkable - simply utilizing modern day control systems and putting down big horsepower because they carry big weight.

I think it is more about being different than being lacking. Maybe even a unique car, to a driver who just doesn't enjoy what it does, may seem to have no soul but it's actually just a lack of that intangible connection between man and machine. Perhaps it is better to say "That car doesn't stir my soul" rather that declaring that it has none altogether.

It is an interesting topic. What are your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
its funny how the yen didnt do anything to the 370z

out of curiosity, have you guys spent much time behind the wheel of the gtr? i can see where this mindset comes from but im not sure theres much that its based on. i felt like if the evo x can have character despite (maybe even because) of technology, why cant the gtr?
Hits on what I have on the brain. Maybe a car can do tech and do soul. Maybe nostalgia clouds our memories. Maybe with added tech, some of us yearn even more for older cars (some from before our time?) simply to experience something "the way it used to be."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan_SC View Post
I see a flock of GTRs every morning at the Port of LA.
They sit outside like any other car. Just another load of merchandise on the RORO.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
There is no mathematical formula, no quantitative form of discernible measurement for what is a purely emotional and a purely subjective opinion. My opinion on the GTR is sans track time, sans ownership and sans intimate mechanical relationship and my opinion is only that and in no way reflects the cars actual qualities and bares no importance on the opinions of others.

Like large women, I don't have to be intimate with them, date them or even have a "onesey" to know that they don't stir my soul, that they are not something I want. No matter how smart they are, how well they cook or how good they "___other___", something about me, just doesn't want them. Sorry big girls.

Such is so with the GTR. I don't have to drive/own/work on it to know it's not something I desire. Porsches are still lightyears ahead of the GTR in emotional string tugging (double entendre not intended) and the Porsche 918 is loaded with technology but still moves me quite deeply.

I don't know how technology plays a part how a car "stirs the soul" and I believe it doesn't have to attribute to any loss of "je ne sais quoi". I think the addition of or lack of technology is irrelevant, at least it should be. When you look, feel and hear a car you can tell right away that the engineers weren't just lovers of math, but lovers or art and their souls are deeply stirred by what they were creating. You can tell this right away.

I don't get this from the GTR and now that I've had some time to think about it. I don't get this from any current crop of Nissan's (and for that matter Hondas). This harkens back to Jeremy Clarkson's review on the MP4-12C compared to Ferrari. Now I don't necessarily agree with him about the MP4-12C but hit point stands.

Cheers.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 PM   #19
FasterpromsFRS

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My brother bought a 2014 gtr, he said he was the first in america to take delivery of one. It was the first time I actually got to drive one. i realy like it. (of course)

FasterpromsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FasterpromsFRS For This Useful Post:
Giccin (02-14-2013), jaynutter2 (02-14-2013), MarkRacerX (02-14-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #20
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
That's every man's dream house. A 3-car garage plus shop with an "attached" house.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #21
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterpromsFRS View Post
My brother bought a 2014 gtr, he said he was the first in america to take delivery of one. It was the first time I actually got to drive one. i realy like it. (of course)

Is it a pain to drive in that muddy grassy area?

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #22
FasterpromsFRS

Drives: FRS
Quote:
That's every man's dream house. A 3-car garage plus shop with an "attached" house.
Yea its a two bay garage on the right with a lift in the right bay, but I couldnt get it all in the picture. haha. Fasterproms does pretty much specifically GM work, but my brother in law wants to start tuning GTRs now I think.
Giccin, its actually dry, but this is in the back yard, there is actually a driveway in front of the house but its under a huge tree that drops crap on peoples cars that park there.
FasterpromsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #23
MarkRacerX

Drives: 12' Evo X , prior 1st 86 FR-S
Cool info!

Def sad how much the GTR has jumped in price, sure it is competitive to cars in that price range and beyond, but over the years it hasn't improved THAT MUCH to justify price...I see used $59k+ for decent miles. Someday I will get a clean used one!

I did the Exotic Racing in Vegas mini road course in a GTR, was a blast for sure! I wouldn't mind a 370Z either at some point. Too many cars I want to own!! Haha

Btw great pic @FasterpromsFRS w/ CTS-V , GTR, Vette, FRS
08' STi, 04' 350Z, 04' STi, 02' WRX. 96' GSR, 04' SE-R/SpecV
MarkRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #24
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
No major changes to the Nismo 370Z, right? Y'know, the one I could kinda reasonably afford, not the $100k monster.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #25
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I will own a GTR one day! Gonna keep the FR-S of course, but datass on the GTR
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote