follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2018, 07:51 PM   #15
vijay.dy06

Drives: Red BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15limited View Post
Anybody have luck finding rotors to eat up the extra pad hangoff? I'm having a hell of a time even finding 08+ sti hat offset to put on a slightly larger disk.
Closest one that I've found is a g35 that has the Brembo package. Rotors need to be redrilled of course, but I have not confirmed if the Brz brake shoea will fit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
vijay.dy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:00 PM   #16
15limited

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay.dy06 View Post
Closest one that I've found is a g35 that has the Brembo package. Rotors need to be redrilled of course, but I have not confirmed if the Brz brake shoea will fit.

I don't even have the oem e brake shoes anymore but I believe I'll have to retain the offset so it's compatible with caliper offset. I've found Wilwood disks to run a 2 piece rotor that are the right size just can't find the hat to pair it with .

Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:38 PM   #17
etc

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeneypoo View Post
On the rear rotors, if I just slotted the holes on the mount for the calipers about 5mm, allowing the caliper to sit lower on the disk, would I have any other issues with clearance?
ya, I am pretty sure it would hit the hub, I don't think there is much space there at all. I also don't think there is enough extra metal to cut the slot into (nor can I think of a good way to cut it, it is steel and pretty thick).
etc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to etc For This Useful Post:
Skeneypoo (03-01-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #18
15limited

So, attached is a cutaway of the 08+ Sti rotor, I believe it's DBA's 4000 series. If I found a disc that is 5 mm longer in diameter, and a hat with 4mm less offset I believe that would resolve using spacers and pad hangoff, unless you guys can think of anything that might interfere? Name:  dba_2655_cat.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  98.5 KB

Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
Old 03-21-2018, 01:03 PM   #19
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Is there some reason you don't want to use STI calipers, which bolt right on and work with the sti rotor?
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #20
15limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
Is there some reason you don't want to use STI calipers, which bolt right on and work with the sti rotor?
From what I've read it doesn't help the bias with ats brembos up front

Old 03-21-2018, 06:02 PM   #21
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
The stock sti brembos do offer a little more rearward bias than the stock brakes, but you're right it is not a huge amount.

Stock brakes use a 290mm rotor and 40.5mm caliper piston
08-17 sti brembo have a 316mm rotor and 40mm pistons

My math for bias gives the following

stock BRZ: 68.3 : 31.7
ATS fronts: 69.6 : 30.4
ATS f, sti r: 69.0 : 31.0

Biasing starts out with equal pressure front and rear then EBD reduces rear brake pressure as needed. The stock BRZ is the most rear-biased Subaru setup with the 06-07 wrx 4/2 pots a close 2nd.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #22
blackfireball5

Drives: Scion FRS Firestorm
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Anyone have any updates on this? I'm compiling my last few parts for my front ATS swap and i'm still exploring what I want to do with the rear.

Use code TWW-BOO5TED when shopping at Wheelwell to receive 10% off your order.
blackfireball5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blackfireball5 For This Useful Post:
15limited (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #23
15limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
Anyone have any updates on this? I'm compiling my last few parts for my front ATS swap and i'm still exploring what I want to do with the rear.
It works! I wasnt able to get In to contact with anyone who has extra spacers so I found some machine head washers that were very close and used those. I would reccomend a new pin kit and maybe seals depending on how the calipers look when you get em

Old 05-14-2018, 08:06 AM   #24
blackfireball5

Quote:
It works! I wasnt able to get In to contact with anyone who has extra spacers so I found some machine head washers that were very close and used those. I would reccomend a new pin kit and maybe seals depending on how the calipers look when you get em

So you just are accepting the small amount of overhang in the pads?

Haven't sourced a rotor that fits them exactly?

Old 05-14-2018, 08:33 AM   #25
15limited

Quote:
So you just are accepting the small amount of overhang in the pads?

Haven't sourced a rotor that fits them exactly?
Correct, I inquired about a few custom spec 2 piece rotor sets from what seemed to be reputable companies online and still no luck. I found wilwood to have the largest library of hats and rotor rings but nothing that met all fitment criteria. If I had to find a solution however it would be finding a way to mount the caliper closer to the center, which would eat up the hangout pad and theres a small amount of unused rotor surface closest to the center. However im running a hydro, hence the extra caliper, so I just went the easiest route.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #26
blackfireball5

Quote:
Correct, I inquired about a few custom spec 2 piece rotor sets from what seemed to be reputable companies online and still no luck. I found wilwood to have the largest library of hats and rotor rings but nothing that met all fitment criteria. If I had to find a solution however it would be finding a way to mount the caliper closer to the center, which would eat up the hangout pad and theres a small amount of unused rotor surface closest to the center. However im running a hydro, hence the extra caliper, so I just went the easiest route.

Gotcha.

What did the calipers and rotors cost you?

The Following User Says Thank You to blackfireball5 For This Useful Post:
15limited (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 06:41 PM   #27
15limited

Quote:
Gotcha.

What did the calipers and rotors cost you?
Calipers I got used online, same as OP about $250 a pair, and rotors I think $300 for the set? DBA 4000 series drilled and slotted

The Following User Says Thank You to 15limited For This Useful Post:
blackfireball5 (05-17-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 03:04 PM   #28
HAWAIICALIVEGAZ

Drives: HONDA, TOYOTA
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

What setup are you running for the hydro? What bracket and caliper?
HAWAIICALIVEGAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brembo, retrofit