follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 06-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #57
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWR BRZ View Post
Guys I checked my coolant after driving around with a warm engine and it is below the low line... I cant even see my coolant fluid... Just add distilled water tomorrow or go to dealer for free top up? Do dealer use a coolant mix or just pour distilled water in my car?

Dealer uses premixed coolant. Loosing that much coolant is a problem that needs immediate attention. If you top it up and your dealer is shity they wont be able to ''replicate the problem''. If you admit you drove with too little coolant they might blame other problems on you.

Best thing- call them.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:14 AM   #58
RAWR BRZ

Drives: 2010 BMW M3, 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
Dealer uses premixed coolant. Loosing that much coolant is a problem that needs immediate attention. If you top it up and your dealer is shity they wont be able to ''replicate the problem''. If you admit you drove with too little coolant they might blame other problems on you.

Best thing- call them.
When I checked (at night) it looked as if there wasnt any because I distinctively remember seeing the coolant when it used to be in the middle of low and full... The next morning when I checked it warm was way over full... at least a good 2 inches over... It must of been so full that night that I couldnt see the line where the top of the fluid was before between low and full. I bet the dealer added coolant to full level when the car was cold while my car was there....
RAWR BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #59
Yamajee

Drives: Rocket Bunny'd GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Mine goes a bit lower than full every once in a while (maybe every month and a half for a daily driver living in Dubai with summer heat ranging to 110 degrees). I guess it's just normal, no leaks or overflowing, temperature is below the middle as always even at colder temps.
Yamajee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #60
dabocx

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
So the dealer sold me toyota pink which says it for every toyota but the FRS? Am I ok with using it?
dabocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #61
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabocx View Post
So the dealer sold me toyota pink which says it for every toyota but the FRS? Am I ok with using it?
I went to subaru to get the blue coolant. It was ~$25. I noticed that I had lost a little...nothing crazy. I've owned the car for 6 months and it just now hit the low line. When I bought it, it was about 1/2 way up to the full line.
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #62
ronnBOi720
Asphalt FR-s

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Well my wife complained about some problems with the car as she drove it from san Diego California to yuma arizona. She complained about a knocking in the engine bay and feeling the gas pedal knock as well. She also complained about hearing the brakes whistle when she come to a stop. I drove the car from home to work and I only noticed the knocking noise. I checked the engine bay and everything looked fine, except for the coolant. It was looking low and the theme here alone is well past 100

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #63
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
I just swapped hoses to the Perrin ones with t-clamps a few weeks ago. Also did a coolant change at that time. Car has not "lost" any coolant since. I think that the stock hoses and clamps aren't sufficient to keep coolant from seeping out. My stock hoses always had a white residue around the ends near the fill cap.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #64
dabocx

So I cant use the toyota pink? I guess ill see if I can return it and go to the subaru dealer and pick up blue.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #65
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabocx View Post
So I cant use the toyota pink? I guess ill see if I can return it and go to the subaru dealer and pick up blue.

no you can no use the pink stuff. get blue from subie
Old 08-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #66
dabocx

How much do I need assuming im doing a full swap and installing the FBM radiator?
Old 03-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #67
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post
Well technically speaking, you don't need to heat up a container to make the water inside boil, you can just drop the pressure.

Grab a box of pasta, it should say to boil it longer if you're in a high altitude (low pressure) area.

@ahausheer's rationale seems right on the money.

To go back to my last post regarding the issue and the coolant being topped off. Scientifically speaking, it should take MORE time to get to operating temp but at the same time, the car should stay warmer LONGER after getting to operating temp and turning the car off.

I haven't really noticed a truly longer warm up time, maybe by about 10-15 seconds. On the other hand, I do notice the car staying warm longer after I let it sit. I used to come back to the car 2 hours later and have to wait for it to reach the 6oclock position on the thermostat. Now I can just get in and go it seems.

Edit: The dealership insisted on running a pressure test for me. No leaks anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
13k miles here - was just on a 700 mile road trip when I noticed a funny smell at a motel when i stopped for the night. Checked it in the AM and the coolant res was BONE DRY. No idea how much was in the rad but i didnt have any CEL or warning lights and had not checked since my last oil change so no idea how long its been dry.

I found a toy dealership close to me and got to spend the entire day there, the end result was a ok pressure test and them filling it back up. Not happy, keeping my eye on it.

Zach
Im at 44000 and currently going through this issue. Was bone dry on 2/25 and took it to the dealer. Since they topped it off it only took a week to get below the low line. This was all check in the late morning.

You guys have any update? Also did you pay for the pressure test or did the dealership cover it?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #68
leicaboss
Coffee Snob

Drives: '14 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I just want to say that this issue was evident on my FRS as well. I was around 3k miles, and the coolant levels were surprisingly low.
leicaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #69
frsqc

Drives: raven FRS
19.000km, its pretty cold here in montreal but checked the car after being warm for 35min,
and its barely half of low. Cold theres no coolant in the tank.... kinda odd but maybe its due to the weather, no leaks apparent anywhere.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #70
frsqc

Drives: raven FRS
so i went to toyota today for the coolant. They checked for leaks couldn't find them... i specifically said to put The BLUE coolant but they topped it off with Pink...... am i screwed? do i have to reflush the whole system now?
i hate dealerships T_T